Hi guys.

I have been searching the net for what feels like the best part of my life now and have decided to turn the oracle that is the pit.

Basically, since I moved to Birmingham, I can't have most pets in my apartment and am considering buying a tropic fish tank. Anyway, I saw some little critters in a pet shop that looked rather grand, but didn't get the name of them. They are either pink or black, look like little lizards/dragons but always live underwater. They also have little things coming from the sides of their face (I think they are gills).

Any ideas please let me know as this is getting painful!!

PS, they aren't newts, tried that one.

Cheers.
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

Something you definitely need to know
You mean salamanders?

I have/had tropical fish
They seem awesome at the time, but they don't do much, and require so much (tank cleanings etc) especially with small tanks.
But then they just get booooring and die
why don't you go back and ask?
Fender Telecaster (MIM) <- the sentimental one

Fender USA strat

4 standing Oasis tickets, Cardiff 12th June - selling at face value go!
Skinks.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
its axolotl
Quote by sargasm
I like to draw pictures of penises everywhere.

It makes me feel like a big man.

Proud owner of a fender deluxe player's strat - honey blonde/maple neck Here it is

Member of the Stratocaster Lovers Group
Quote by oldyards15
why don't you go back and ask?

because it's 8:50 PM and it won't be open and after my effort I deserve to know now!!!
Quote by Karvid
You win this thread. And UG. I haven't actually lol'd at a post in a really long time. Thanks for changing that. I expect a sig

He expected this.

salamanders are lizard like creatures that live mostly underwater, and those are geels coming out from the sides.
Cheers guys, it is an axolotl. I know fish are relatively boring and die at a quick rate, but I need to have a pet!!
Quote by Karvid

He expected this.

I'm searching for an Axolotl. Anyone who knows stockists in the UK? Nearer to South Yorkshire the better.

Cheers.

P.S. - They're wonderful pets, and can really grow to know their owner, I've had two thus far and it tore me up when they died, they'll make a much more satisfying pet than you might think.

ಠ_ಠ

wat

if you get a fish tank, why don
t you catch some pikes and have them as pets? ever seen a pike ambush live fish? they are awesome pets.
^ Because Pike are notoriously difficult to keep in a pond, let alone a tank, can't be kept with anything smaller than itself and are intensely predatory?

ಠ_ಠ

wat

If it looked like this,

or this,

it's an axelotl.

It's actualy a very interesting form of amphibian because it represents a genus that never undergoes metamorphosis, it's kinda like as if a tadpole just kept on growing instead of turning into a frog.
Because it doesn't undergo metamorphosis, it retains it's gills and is perfectly happy in water without any need for having a rock or something for them to crawl out of the water onto.
They eat worms and small fish but in captivity, they can be fed on trout and salmon pellets.
Axolotls live at temperatures of 14–20°C (54–68°F), preferably 17–18°C (62–64°F) so if you get one you will probably have to adjust the heater in the tank, which generaly come already set at around 78°F for tropical fish, which will be to warm for them.
Quote by Jaymz_515
I'm searching for an Axolotl. Anyone who knows stockists in the UK? Nearer to South Yorkshire the better.

Cheers.

P.S. - They're wonderful pets, and can really grow to know their owner, I've had two thus far and it tore me up when they died, they'll make a much more satisfying pet than you might think.

I used to live in Barnsley. There's a shop just next to the bus station called The Aqua Inn, I think I've seen them in there before.
Quote by Karvid

He expected this.

Quote by daniel.mycoe
Cheers guys, it is an axolotl. I know fish are relatively boring and die at a quick rate, but I need to have a pet!!

Get an Oscar.

They are a predetory tropical fish that grows to about a foot long, you can feed them on earthworms so they're cheap to feed, and they are probably among the most intelligent creatures that you can keep in a fishtank.
You can actualy tame them and they will recognise the person that feeds it, allowing them to stroke it and tickle it. Juveniles are particularly entertaining as they will actualy jump out of the water to snatch food from your hand but a word of warning, put the heater in a cage.
Oscars are very particular about what is in their tank and will attack anything that they take a dislike to, including, plants other fish and the heater.
My own did this, creating a huge flash of light in the tank and fusing all the electrics in my house.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 2, 2008,
that was a big enough picture! What would you suggest for a tank with several different species? I like the look of red-tail sharks, but they're apparently quite aggressive.
Quote by Karvid

He expected this.

Quote by daniel.mycoe
that was a big enough picture! What would you suggest for a tank with several different species? I like the look of red-tail sharks, but they're apparently quite aggressive.

Yeah, it was bigger than I thought so I changed it.

You mean a community tank?
Most tetras are OK together as are most of the plecostomus family (kinda like a catfish that eats algea) . Guppies, platties and swordtails are all pretty easy going but breed like mad.
The general rule of thumb though is to keep fish with other fish of a similar size though, because most predetory fish only see fish that are smaller than themselves as prey.
A red tail shark for instance would probably be ok with something like angel fish, gouramis, silver sharks, silver dollars (which is actualy a vegetarian pirana) or plecostomus.
Quote by daniel.mycoe
I used to live in Barnsley. There's a shop just next to the bus station called The Aqua Inn, I think I've seen them in there before.

Cheers my good man.

ಠ_ಠ

wat

Quote by Jaymz_515
^ Because Pike are notoriously difficult to keep in a pond, let alone a tank, can't be kept with anything smaller than itself and are intensely predatory?

well what you need for them to survive, is a big tank (common these days) and alot of plants. Pikes aren't very active by nature. They tend to stay still in water replicating weed and branches etc. Have a big pump, lots of weed. And catch perches .

The only problem really is the tank size. They need space or they won't be happy and slowly die. Kind of like being married I guess ^^
Quote by daniel.mycoe

As stated by SlackerBabbath, Guppies, Platies and Swords are good together, I had several of each at the same time and they got along fine (apart from their tendency to eat newly born fish) I however ended up taking these back to my Aquatic Supplier as their breeding overstocked the tanks.

Plecs make okay algae-eaters, and clean up scraps of leftover food, but can also make enough of a mess on their own (easily manageable with regular maintenance though) one warning, the Common Plec (Hypostomus punctatus) can grow to about a foot long and above, so perhaps a smaller relative is recommended.

Plecs (look into the many different varieties, do add much-needed interest to the bottom of the tank though, but may become territorial over their favourite cave or hiding place.

Clown Loaches Make for interesting fish, as they stand out in the Aquarium, and if kept in groups of around 5, are extremely social and stick together. I have great success keeping just two together however, they're perfectly healthy and inquisitive fish anyway, just 4/5 seem to look better. These can grow large as well, as in large beyond the casual Aquarium, but mine are two years old and not over 3" yet. Besides they can usually be taken back to Aquatic Stockists when they get out of hand, or sold on.

There are several types of Gourami you could consider, however you should look into each species and check for aggression, some are, and some aren't. I myself have Pearl and Gold Gouramis in my tank with no trouble.

ಠ_ಠ

wat

Quote by Jaymz_515
As stated by SlackerBabbath, Guppies, Platies and Swords are good together, I had several of each at the same time and they got along fine (apart from their tendency to eat newly born fish) I however ended up taking these back to my Aquatic Supplier as their breeding overstocked the tanks.

Plecs make okay algae-eaters, and clean up scraps of leftover food, but can also make enough of a mess on their own (easily manageable with regular maintenance though) one warning, the Common Plec (Hypostomus punctatus) can grow to about a foot long and above, so perhaps a smaller relative is recommended.

Plecs (look into the many different varieties, do add much-needed interest to the bottom of the tank though, but may become territorial over their favourite cave or hiding place.

Clown Loaches Make for interesting fish, as they stand out in the Aquarium, and if kept in groups of around 5, are extremely social and stick together. I have great success keeping just two together however, they're perfectly healthy and inquisitive fish anyway, just 4/5 seem to look better. These can grow large as well, as in large beyond the casual Aquarium, but mine are two years old and not over 3" yet. Besides they can usually be taken back to Aquatic Stockists when they get out of hand, or sold on.

There are several types of Gourami you could consider, however you should look into each species and check for aggression, some are, and some aren't. I myself have Pearl and Gold Gouramis in my tank with no trouble.

Agreed, personaly, when I first started off keeping fish, half the fun was finding out about what fish would be suitable. Many books are available on the subject and your local aquarist centre will be more than willing to advise you.
Gouramis are a favourite of mine, although I could never understand why a normal 'Gourami' grows much bigger than a 'Giant Gourami'
I used to have Pearls and Golds which I successfully kept with Chocolate gouramis, which are quite small for gouramis.
A surprisingly easy and layed back fish I've always found to keep in a community tank is the Siamese Fighter. As long as you only have a single male, you seem to be able to keep them with most fairly small fish, especialy the guppies and platties

Of course, there isn't only fish and amphibians that you can keep in an aquarium
you can keep many different types of fancy shrimp or crayfish or even lobster or crab, then there's brightly coloured molluscs from simple shellfish right up to octipus and cuttlefish although many of these would take quite a high degree of care and maintanance to keep them successfuly.
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jul 2, 2008,
Does anyone know any good places in Birmingham? It's a big place, so preferably close to the center.
Quote by Karvid

He expected this.

Quote by daniel.mycoe
Does anyone know any good places in Birmingham? It's a big place, so preferably close to the center.

Yeah, the canal.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Yeah, the canal.

Hahahaha!! Not what I'd call tropical or marine, but definately exotic.
Quote by Karvid

He expected this.

Quote by daniel.mycoe

Depends what kind of fish. Koi on the other hand...
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by SlackerBabbath
Agreed, personaly, when I first started off keeping fish, half the fun was finding out about what fish would be suitable. Many books are available on the subject and your local aquarist centre will be more than willing to advise you.
Gouramis are a favourite of mine, although I could never understand why a normal 'Gourami' grows much bigger than a 'Giant Gourami'
I used to have Pearls and Golds which I successfully kept with Chocolate gouramis, which are quite small for gouramis.
A surprisingly easy and layed back fish I've always found to keep in a community tank is the Siamese Fighter. As long as you only have a single male, you seem to be able to keep them with most fairly small fish, especialy the guppies and platties

Of course, there isn't only fish and amphibians that you can keep in an aquarium
you can keep many different types of fancy shrimp or crayfish or even lobster or crab, then there's brightly coloured molluscs from simple shellfish right up to octipus and cuttlefish although many of these would take quite a high degree of care and maintanance to keep them successfuly.

Speaking of finding out what fish types are suitable, I recently bough two Rams (Chiclid-type thing), supposedly good community fish, they died within a week because the didn't get along with my other fish. Cost me thirty quid!

They were damn pretty though.

My LFS has some Chocolate Gouramies in, I'm impressed you managed to keep them as I hear they require very specific water parameters, and great levels of care.

ಠ_ಠ

wat

You should get a lionfish. My mommy had one ages ago, before it ate all the other fishies in the tank
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

Quote by Jaymz_515
Speaking of finding out what fish types are suitable, I recently bough two Rams (Chiclid-type thing), supposedly good community fish, they died within a week because the didn't get along with my other fish. Cost me thirty quid!

Generaly, most cichlids are best kept as a pair with no other fish in the tank, although I've never kept rams myself.
Quote by Jaymz_515

My LFS has some Chocolate Gouramies in, I'm impressed you managed to keep them as I hear they require very specific water parameters, and great levels of care.

They just require slightly acidic water which is done by putting a small piece of bogwood in the tank, a slightly warmer temperature than usual tropical fish require (about 78-80°F) with very efficient but gentle filtration, (two or tree small filters instead of one big one) and live food, like brine shrimp.