my old squire strat just lays around my house , and never gets played. So i decided i am gonna have some fun with it . I'm into graphic design so i think I'm going to put a design on the pickguard , i read online that the pickguard of a strat is connected to the electronics and the pups so i am gonna leave it on , and work directly on the guitar . I'm also using sharpies =/ , its all i have and i am low on cash . If anyone has done this before any tips are welcome. Thank you
Quote by flyingE27
my old squire strat just lays around my house , and never gets played. So i decided i am gonna have some fun with it . I'm into graphic design so i think I'm going to put a design on the pickguard , i read online that the pickguard of a strat is connected to the electronics and the pups so i am gonna leave it on , and work directly on the guitar . I'm also using sharpies =/ , its all i have and i am low on cash . If anyone has done this before any tips are welcome. Thank you

Not much to worry about I don't really think. You might what to consider some sort of clearcoat so the Sharpies don't wear off. However, you'd need to take it off to spray it, so maybe not.
paint with nail polish
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
I done the same thing on an old Strat pickguard, although i took it off and put it in a laser cutter, not so much that it cuts through all 3 layers, i found it wa sokay just going down about half a layer, but i would take it off the guitar, its only a matter of undoing 8 screws and taking the knobs and switch tip off.
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Quote by bikerboyjosh
paint with nail polish

+1 Haha!!!
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Oh come on, don't use Sharpies, there are a ton of better opaque permanent markers out there.

If I were going to do a design onto a pickguard though, I'd probably make a stencil and spray paint. But then again, that would require me to take the pickguard off. You really can't think of a way to remove the pickguard?
i could easliy remove it its just that then when i put it pack the pickups wont be in the right spot and i dont wana mess up any of the wiring , i read that the strat pickgaurd is connected to the wring etc.
Quote by flyingE27
i could easliy remove it its just that then when i put it pack the pickups wont be in the right spot and i dont wana mess up any of the wiring , i read that the strat pickgaurd is connected to the wring etc.

Well the pickups are screwed to the pickguard, but you won't mess up the wiring. Just measure your pickup heights if you'd like, before you take it off.
im going to tommorow. take off the pickguard off my girlfriends kustom crap guitar, by unsrewing the screws and measuring the heights and writing it down. then spray painting it purple and clear coating it. the body is black so itll look nice, plus its for my girlfriend and im bored. its a guitar i could care less about so i might make it look nice anyways. but if your worried about the wiring dont be cause when you disconnect them, they're still wired just unscrewed. and catch the springs that adjust the height of your pickups.