Hi there

I know tapping is supposedly easy but I just can't get it hard enough with the tapping finger. Is there an easy training that gets the finger stronger?
Which finger are you using? I prefer my middle to tap (so I can hold the pick). That's the common way, I believe. Practice your hammer on and pull-offs first and make sure they sound out clear. A good lick for that is Thunderstruck by AC/DC. Then try tapping.
--"Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever, because this is just a ride."--
Just practice.

Start slow and work your way up.

Start with something simple like:

High E|--12-10-7-12-10-7-14-10-7-15-10-7--

Tapping the 12, 14 and 15s. Practice this slowly and build up speed and strength until it's ringing out clear.

Then maybe try some more difficult things like:

High E|--12-3-7-12-3-7-14-3-7-15-3-7--

Or even putting tapping in the middle of a phrase like:

High E|--3-12-7-3-12-7-3-14-7-3-15-7--

Practice with a distorted electric first and as the sound gets clearer turn the distortion down and then even try on an acoustic. All these will help build your speed, strength and tapping skills.
Start slowly and speed it up. Maybe pick a song that you like that has tapping within it. I'm currently doing that at the moment with the song 'To the Rats' by Trivium.
Quote by Wonthefu
Another song that has a cool tapping bit that's not too hard is Crystal Mountain by Death. Great song to learn all around anyway.

Man I love that song, learnt it as well.

Definetly useful.
You can also tap by hitting the string with the edge of your pick. Also toughen your calluses by finger picking the harder your finger tips the louder the tap
Quote by jamman1978
You can also tap by hitting the string with the edge of your pick. Also toughen your calluses by finger picking the harder your finger tips the louder the tap

Tapping with the edge of the pick will give you a edgier sound and is easier to do faster. Listen to the second section of Satch's Surfing with the Alien when it goes into C#. You can distinctly hear him using the pick to tap instead of his finger.

Using your finger gives you a much softer tone as compared to the pick. It is used a lot to gain a very pure legato sound and is very effective when used correctly. Which finger you use is completely up to you, although personally I use both my index and middle fingers together. This way I can arpeggiate 7th and 6th chords on single strings!
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR