And famous musicians are good at it? It doesn't make sense. How do musicians keeps making music that is good and yet I have spent all this time trying to come up with one song that sounds good? Sometimes i'll come up with something i think sounds awesome or okay and then play it again later and then it sounds stupid!

And don't look at this as another "How do I write music?" thread.
Because they have spent years practising and writing?

And because it is THEIR JOB, so they have time to devote to it
Quote by Shred Head
You have an atrocious sense of humour!

Quote by StrayCatBlues
You win 100 hilarity points.

Spend them wisely.

Quote by GrisKy
you're a funny, funny man, chimp in a tux... funny indeed.
Music writing is a craft, just like anything else. You can't just pick up a guitar and magically write a classic tune. It doesn't work like that. You only get out what you put in.

TIME

...I've created my own time signature. Geddit?

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Think of songwriting as another skill/technique you use to express yourself. Just like you express an emotion or mood on an instrument. With that in mind i bet you put a lot of practice into the instrument you play, lots of hours of hard work to get something pleasing to come out of your guitar. It takes patience and time, lots of each. Use the music that you love as a guide and think about what you like about those riffs and harmonies, how can you replicate something like that in your own unique way? Dont feel put down by the struggles of songwriting, just keep hacking away at it until you get something you like. Get some inspiration from somewhere, anywhere ( lol), and channel it into your music.

Also, critique the stuff you dont like that you wrote, why dont you like it any more? What can you do different next time to make it better? Also, buy some sort of songwriters book off amazon.
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Last edited by USCENDONE BENE at Jul 2, 2008,
Because they have talent and you don't. Get a job at Burger King or something.

P.S. Yes, I'm an asshole.
for rent
because as a musician, YOU are your own worst critic. take a breath, take some time to write something you like, then go from their piece , by piece until you think the song is done.

btw , from personal experience, your two best friends while songwriting are gonna be guitar pro and a recording machine, they help alot
Musicians become famous by becoming good songwriters. Not the other way round.

Practise, as always, and perceverance, will get you through.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Shoo Gakusey.

It's hard to write songs and lot's of famous musicians don't write brilliant songs, they write things that are catchy or memorable and inside a style that the listener likes just work. You have to learn to find a balance.
Quote by Sicko 21X7

btw , from personal experience, your two best friends while songwriting are gonna be guitar pro and a recording machine, they help alot

I couldnt agree more, best £30 i ever spent. I can save all the stuff i wrote and play it back. Easy writing tool and you can see how you could apply what you wrote to a band situation
"If you want beef, then bring the ruckus." - Marilyn Monroe
Ok, ok, I knew all of you would offer more than enough advice anyway, so what the hell...

Seriously, it's all about emotion, whether you can make your song heartfelt and emotional or not. It doesn't matter if you can't play 30 notes per second, you can make a song with just one chord strummed throughout and make people feel something they've never felt before. And I'm talking about any genre, it's still the same formula. You know, stay honest and true to yourself. Music is not about being right or wrong, it's about convincing people that you're right, figuratively speaking. Some can do that with blazing-fast solos and screaming vocals, some can do that with 3 chords and whiney vocals.
for rent
Quote by Gakusey
Because they have talent and you don't. Get a job at Burger King or something.

P.S. Yes, I'm an asshole.

hahahah I laughed out loud when I read this. ( I work at a mcdonalds)

Yeah for me songwriting is waking up in the middle of the night when something comes to me, or humming into a sound recorder in the middle of nowhere, and scribbling in my "book of crap".

What happens or at least this is how me and several of my other friends do it is write like 500 songs and you realize only maybe 3 are good. You make them better, and then write another 500 hahaha. The other 497 remain in the book of crap.

Some people are really good at writing, it takes time, and maybe you just don't have it in you. I'm still trying to figure out if I've got it, we all are.
Quote by confusius
Shoo Gakusey.

It's hard to write songs and lot's of famous musicians don't write brilliant songs, they write things that are catchy or memorable and inside a style that the listener likes just work. You have to learn to find a balance.

I think you mean Chyuu Gakusei, which is Japanese for Middle School Student.
I think the biggest obstacle you have to overcome to even be on the way to becoming a decent songwriter (and im thinking more lyrically here) is that you have to have the courage to write about some of your deepest feelings despite the fact that more often than not whatever you create is gonna sound either cheesy as hell or make you look like a soppy wuss. Believe me i've tried writing plenty of songs without trying to use any subject - almost like just stringing random sentences together over a 4-chord progression - it just doesnt work as well as really trying to get your own emotions and feelings down on paper. Be prepared to screw up lots of bits of paper and tell yourself that you're gonna pretend you never wrote something that crappy. It'll be worth it when you finally write something half-decent.
It's about either honesty or knowing exactely what you want to put on paper (criativity factor or something like that) I write all my songs and I compose the vocal melody. The rest is just in my head and I only manage to play it sometimes. This is just me, a guy and a guitar. Don't forget that when you're a musician you have the back-up of everyone involved. Having this in mind, I could give what I have in mind to all the musicians and then the whole band experiments the result. In the end, it's just a matter of perfecting it.

And, in my candid opinion, the majority of the music industry's lyrics are not THAT good. There are a few that detach, the rest of it just try to write something to make the crowd sing along or, at least, memorize. In rare ocasions these ones achieve a level of songwriting really high.

Dunno if this is what someone said, I really didn't have the patience to read them all

Cheers !
Passion, they're getting paid for it, inspiration.
I say the secretly stash their riffs and when they come up with more they go and add more and eventually do it to finish a whole song.
xD
At least that's what I do. xD

But how I do it is through the lyrics. The lyrics inspired me to find that right tune to match it. It's like soulmate thing for lyrics and music. Cheesy right? Lol.
2 things:

1. Inspirations
----------------------
-Watching a show about poverty
-Nightmare
-a bad candidate wins for president
-LOVE

2.Practice