I want a rich, soft, creamy, warm OVERDRIVE pedal (stomp box) for less than £100. My amp's got great distortion on it but it's hard to plug into a mixer so I want a pedal just for recordings. It has to be a stomp box to fit on my pedalboard!

Any suggestions? I'm browsing thomann and there is just too much choice...
Last edited by the fendernator at Jul 2, 2008,
You want to go guitar>pedal>mixer?

That isn't going to sound wonderful...why not just mic your amp?
Well i'd recommend a Overdrive pedal if you don't want an agressive sound. i'd say try a Maxon OD-808.
Quote by the fendernator
I want a rich, soft, creamy, warm distortion pedal (stomp box) for less than £100. My amp's got great distortion on it but it's hard to plug into a mixer so I want a pedal just for recordings. It has to be a stomp box to fit on my pedalboard!

A distrotion pedal thats rich,creamy,warm,and soft

Try a overdrive.
Quote by the fendernator
That tube amp hum always is a bit obvious when I mic up my amp...

Lack of tone is going to be worse than a hum.
The BOSS OS-2 is the answer...

i just got one about a month ago, and it is an overdrive/distortion pedal with a color knob to change the amount of each effect.. on full distortion, it sounds identical to my DS-1 and the Overdrive on full sounds like pure overdrive.. i keep mine at 75% overdrive and 25% distortion, so it sounds amazing for any type of music
dont know how much it would be in pdsbut the disturbed signature pedal has been workin great for me for the last eight months!!! it is extremely versatile and unless im standing in front of my computer, NO FEEDBACK!!!!!
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
The BOSS OS-2 is the answer...

i just got one about a month ago, and it is an overdrive/distortion pedal with a color knob to change the amount of each effect.. on full distortion, it sounds identical to my DS-1 and the Overdrive on full sounds like pure overdrive.. i keep mine at 75% overdrive and 25% distortion, so it sounds amazing for any type of music

It's really not.

Quote by Sicko 21X7
dont know how much it would be in pdsbut the disturbed signature pedal has been workin great for me for the last eight months!!! it is extremely versatile and unless im standing in front of my computer, NO FEEDBACK!!!!!

It's not even close to what he's looking for.

I'd say the Maxon.
Quote by Sicko 21X7

That pickup models Dan Donegans sound right? That has to be the opposite of what the TS wants.

Plus, the Maxon is a Proper Tubescreamer, they used to make the Tubescreamers for Ibanez. So they reissued them and haven't changed a thing. It costs less than the Ibanez TS808.
Last edited by thellamaking at Jul 2, 2008,
no matter what you do, if you plug in guitar->pedal->mixer its gonna sound terrible without some sort of cabinet simulation.
Quote by TheDriller
no matter what you do, if you plug in guitar->pedal->mixer its gonna sound terrible without some sort of cabinet simulation.

+1

It really is. Considering you're used to some pretty decent gear there.
Quote by no_thing101
i own an os2 and had it replaced by a proper dirtbox cause it sucks

I've had an OS-2. It's not the worst thing I've ever played, but it really doesn't apply here. It was *kinda* neat because you could blend between the two sounds. Other than that it didn't have much use.

Either way, it wasn't the answer here
Straight to mixer, you should consider some kind of amp modeler. Digitech, Line 6, Tech21, and Boss have a few pedals in that price range. Please note, if you're using a single coil guitar that hum is your guitar and not your amp. A noise gate will help to minimize the hum while your not playing, or you could use one of the noise removal plugins to digitally remove the hum entirely after you record the track.
Quote by FrugalGuitarist
Straight to mixer, you should consider some kind of amp modeler. Digitech, Line 6, Tech21, and Boss have a few pedals in that price range. Please note, if you're using a single coil guitar that hum is your guitar and not your amp. A noise gate will help to minimize the hum while your not playing, or you could use one of the noise removal plugins to digitally remove the hum entirely after you record the track.

+1

I've never really heard anyone complain about a tube amp 'hum'. If there is one, then it's probably part of your sound anyways.
Quote by the fendernator
I want a rich, soft, creamy, warm OVERDRIVE pedal (stomp box) for less than £100. My amp's got great distortion on it but it's hard to plug into a mixer so I want a pedal just for recordings. It has to be a stomp box to fit on my pedalboard!

Like everyone has said, a bog-standard pedal direct into a mixer will sound abysmal - that rules out every specific model that has been recommended so far in this thread. You need to get something that's designed with direct recording in mind,and suffice to say £100 isn't going to be enough...Tech21 SansAmp GT2 is the obvious choice, it makes a good stomp box for live playing too.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/tech_21_sansamp_gt2.htm
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 3, 2008,
So I'm better off investing my £100 on an SM57/58 rather than the Maxon? A decent mic would make my amp sound great on recordings? I have a Boss NS2 noise gate and it still hums so it might be one of my effects that's causing the hum.

So: Ibanez-Laney-Cabinet-Sm57/58-Mixer-Computer ??
Quote by the fendernator
So I'm better off investing my £100 on an SM57/58 rather than the Maxon? A decent mic would make my amp sound great on recordings? I have a Boss NS2 noise gate and it still hums so it might be one of my effects that's causing the hum.

This would sound much better.

There has to be a reason for the hum other than just the amp.
Quote by the fendernator

Hum can come from a million different places. Single coil pickups, playing at exrteme gain settings, rf interferance from playing too close to a computer monitor, neon lighting, a bad cable, a gounding issue with the amp or guitar, a ground issue with your home's wiring, etc.

No, a decent mic will not make your amp sound great on recordings, but it will make your recording sound more like your amp in the room. Whether that is great or not is up to you. On a tighter budget, you can pick up an ES57 or ES58 for half the price of a Shure and they are very similiar sounding.
Quote by FrugalGuitarist
Hum can come from a million different places. Single coil pickups, playing at exrteme gain settings, rf interferance from playing too close to a computer monitor, neon lighting, a bad cable, a gounding issue with the amp or guitar, a ground issue with your home's wiring, etc.

No, a decent mic will not make your amp sound great on recordings, but it will make your recording sound more like your amp in the room. Whether that is great or not is up to you. On a tighter budget, you can pick up an ES57 or ES58 for half the price of a Shure and they are very similiar sounding.

Sorry, never meant to imply that a mic will fix his hum problem! I meant that he should find the solution to the hum and then mic up the amp which will result in a much better recorded sound than straight in via a pedal.