I currently have an Ibanez GRG170DX (Starter package guitar) and have been playing for about 7 months and i practice about 4 hours a day. I can play stuff like Tornado Of Souls, Ride The Lightning and various other thrash metal songs. I am mow looking for a replacement guitar as i want to improve on my playing ability. I would prefer to keep with Ibanez but also like Jacksons. My first choice is the RG350MDX (played on my friends RG350DX a lot and like it). Any suggestions?
...and a floyd rose bridge or replica (e.g. Edge 3 tremelo) is essential.
Quote by thellamaking
Budget?
What amp do you have?

Up to about £400. I currently have the crappy amp i got with the package but i will get a Marshall MG15/30DFX soon.
STOP. Do NOT buy a Marshall MG. It's BARELY a step-up from your current amp.

Now that that is out of the way, buying a new guitar won't help you improve your playing ability unless your current guitar's neck is horribly thick or it's caving in. As for the guitar, the RG 350DX would probably suit your style well. Thin neck, semi-hot pickups, decent bridge.

You ARE on the right step on getting a new amp, but an MG really isn't going to be the best way to go.
'89 MIJ Fender Strat
Rivera S-120
'60s PEPCO Model 211 5w head
'60s Paul (Pepco) 1x12 tube amp
'60s Harmony H303a 1x10 tube amp
Last edited by theacousticpunk at Jul 2, 2008,
Quote by IbanezACA
Up to about £400. I currently have the crappy amp i got with the package but i will get a Marshall MG15/30DFX soon.

Dont get the Marshall! It's honestly a POS. For the price of the 30w you could get a Blackheart 5watt, bear in mind it's tube so it'll be just as loud.

EDIT - you play thrash, don't get the Blackheart, but don't buy the MG nonetheless.
Quote by IbanezACA

Don't.

For the price you can get better.

EDIT:

Quote by thellamaking
Dont get the Marshall! It's honestly a POS. For the price of the 30w you could get a Blackheart 5watt, bear in mind it's tube so it'll be just as loud.

I'm too slow.
Quote by theacousticpunk
STOP. Do NOT buy a Marshall MG. It's BARELY a step-up from your current amp.

Now that that is out of the way, buying a new guitar won't help you improve your playing ability unless your current guitar's neck is horribly thick or it's caving in. As for the guitar, the RG 350DX would probably suit your style well. Thin neck, semi-hot pickups, decent bridge.

You ARE on the right step on getting a new amp, but an MG really isn't going to be the best way to go.

Thanks for advice about the amp, i will look into that.
And yes, my neck is terribly thick, as i said ive played on my friends RG350DX and i am able to play much faster and easier, also we are starting a metal band together and us with the same guitars (him with white and me with black) I think would look really cool.
the trem on cheaper rgs is not very good. i'd personally save up for the rg1570.

And as said, avoid the mg30dfx. get a roland cube 30 instead.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc

And as said, avoid the mg30dfx. get a roland cube 30 instead.

I want to get a good distortion sound, good for playing metallica, megadeth, trivium etc. Whats the good points about the roland cube 30?
Quote by IbanezACA
I want to get a good distortion sound, good for playing metallica, megadeth, trivium etc. Whats the good points about the roland cube 30?

The cube is great for Heavy Distored tones
Quote by IbanezACA

probably the fact that it gets a good heavily distorted sound (for the price).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well..ive been playing for about 3 months now, and im about to get the grg170dx , tht you have, tomorrow.

i also tried the rgx (i think) with the floyd rose, and it was pretty sweet. that had a tag of around £49, with two dual pickups n one singe one in the middle, so i suppose itd be great for playin metal/trash.

then uve still got £160 to spend so id prob suggest buying a metal/trash metal effect pedal wish would prob boost the quality of your playing greatly, im pretty sure they cost about £60-100 so youve still got some money left over.

to be honest im not a genius on guitar stuff tbh since ive only just got into them, but you should be okay with that
Yes, honestly get the Cube 30.

I used to have one and the Rectifier setting is very good for an amp that price, its very versatile too, and is miles better than ANY mg.
Ibanez Jem 777BK, Carvin DC727, Fender MIM Strat
Mesa Boogie DC5
Xotic BB Preamp, Ts9, BBE GS, Boss DD-6
Weber Mass
Morley Bad Horsie 2
Ask me any questions about my gear!