Alright, so I've done a little bit of modding on my MIM Strat (if a decal and pickgaurd count) but I'm looking to change the pickup covers and knobs. Don't know if you can tell from the pic but the body is an off-white and the covers and knobs are regular white. What color do you think I should go for? Maybe black out the knobs and covers or try and match them with the body?

Yo
Last edited by joe_barge at Jul 2, 2008,
Thats really neat looking. The knobs and pickup covers are probably off do to use, and they probably are just worn in. You could buy some new pickup covers and knobs.
Gear:

Guitars
Martin DSR
Taylor 214e
Fender Strat
Epiphone 335 Dot
Carlo Robelli Acoustic

Amps+Effects
1978 Fender Pro Reverb
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Super Overdrive
EHX Holy Grail
Boss DD-20 Giga Delay
You can get parchment white knobs and stuff, which could be a better match for the body colour. Black would be a safe bet though, as, well, black is black is black. No room for mistakes there.

But if you can find the right off-white colour, I'd say go with that, looks great now
i would keep the knobs and pickups white if i ever start the strat proyect im planing i want it to look like yours what i would do its get mustang white pickup covers :P

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
Silver knobs and black pickup covers. The Superman sticker looks really cool on there.
Quote by drossboot
Silver knobs and black pickup covers. The Superman sticker looks really cool on there.

That would look pretty cool, didn't even think about chrome knobs. But for some reason I put the Superman logo on all my guitars/bass/ukulele. Batman would kick Superman's ass but the Batman decal was too wide.
Yo
I think creme pickup covers and knobs would look great. I like the contrast. I've heard that you can soak white ones in coffee to make them look aged, but I've never tried.
black knob covers. Black pup covers. do it to it. looks good, sorry, don't like the superman logo, but that isn't what this thread is about.

These might be pretty cool, check some out on here:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/bltorepetop.html
Quote by Invader Jim
The questions people ask here makes me wonder how the TS's dress themselves in the morning and can shower without drowning...
you can take the pup covers and the knobs and somehow darken them up, weather its cigarette smoke, actually smoking them (make a TINY fire and throw wood on it and put the parts above IN the smoke, but obviously not too close) That will darken them up a bit.

That may be your best bet, because some single coil pups dont really have removable covers. Im not sure about yours tho.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
This: Chrome pickup covers, chrome knobs, chrome switch knob. SWEET!
Gear:
Schecter Hellraiser Deluxe
Boss DS-1
Crate GTD65

GAS List:
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
your strat is awesome im obsess with that combination

Quote by joe_barge
That would look pretty cool, didn't even think about chrome knobs. But for some reason I put the Superman logo on all my guitars/bass/ukulele. Batman would kick Superman's ass but the Batman decal was too wide.

Is the image flipped, or is that orientation of the Supes sticker? If it's actually backwards like that, that's actually Bizarro's logo. Just sayin'.
Quote by Dreamality
Where did you get the pick guard? I love it! Did it come shielded?

Mine? his?

mine yes aluminum on the back

Looks great i think you should keep it the way it is. I don't know why i like that one i usually hate black/white combinations.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

This guitar is the same colour scheme as the one I finished building a month ago, I like it the way it is, hence why I used it on my own strat, but I do quite like the top hat knobs that saint jimmy recommended.

Nagashiro, nice guitars man, they are gorgeous, I used to be an LP man and I wasn't too fond of tele's but now I find myself drooling over them and the LP's just dont do it for me any more.
Quote by cedricsmods
I think creme pickup covers and knobs would look great. I like the contrast. I've heard that you can soak white ones in coffee to make them look aged, but I've never tried.

If it was me i'd try this i think, I don't like the idea of smoking them, heat can warp plastic.

You could try tea as well, make sure it's cold before you add them!

If the coffee doesn't work, You could buy paint (acrylic or something that does actually stick to plastic) and thin it right down, Then dip them in that, Paint thinner might dissolve the pickup wax, so you might need to re-pot them - It COULD (although the chances are small) dissolve the plastic - So i'd test it with one of the knobs 1st.

Or creosote, maybe?

Although, If you can get them off You could just paint the pickup covers with airfix paint or something. Even if you can't get the covers off, you could mask the rest of the pickup with masking tape and a scalpel, and be dead careful when you're painting them.

Just brainstorming here, I don't really like the idea of buying a whole new set of pickups and dials just to get a slightly different shade of white...