i need a distortion for classic rock songs. any suggestions that are under $100? thanks zack
for what amp?
ha! beat u TNfootballfan62
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
What amp do you have?
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by 2003LP
Boss Ds-1 Or Boss Bd-2

no.

before we answer. what amp??
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
Quote by sg622
no.

before we answer. what amp??

well didn't respond to two of the same questions before, so I just shot out two good pedals.
I plays guitars.
Last edited by 2003LP at Jul 2, 2008,
Quote by shredhead22
for what amp?
ha! beat u TNfootballfan62

And just barely...

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
depends on the amp but for just rock, a tube screamer through the lead channel of the amp would probably be enough. if you want more, a metal muff would work. its advertised as a metal pedal but it can do lighter stuff too depending on your set up. boss ds1 i wouldn't recommend, it's too modern sounding.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
i know everyone is going to bash me now, but i have a line 6 spider 2 for right now until the winter when i get a spider valve. i also need one to play through a mixer for my marching band. thanks zack
Quote by 2003LP
well didn't respond to two of the same questions before, so I just shot out two good pretty mediocre pedals.

I wouldn't get any distortion pedals - most pedals + any moddelling amp (so I'm not just spider bashing ) = pretty shoddy sound
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by zackerzac
i know everyone is going to bash me now, but i have a line 6 spider 2 for right now until the winter when i get a spider valve. i also need one to play through a mixer for my marching band. thanks zack

what the heck..
dude, a spider is a spider.
the valve sucks just as well, why the heck would you get that piece of crap.

it's still digital even if it is tube.. it sounds like running a pod xt live's distortion into a tube amp, which doesn't sound near as good as using the actual tube amp's distortion.. which the spider valve doesn't have tube distortion..

it's a huge step up from the other spiders but still sucks ridiculously and you could get a much better amp in that price range.
I have to agree that the spider valves are the biggest marketing schemes ever. But for an overdriven kinda sound possible ibanez tubescreamer?
Save your money

Why dont you just save it so you can buy a better amp than the Spider valve later.

with the extra hundred bucks, you could snag like, a Fender Hot Rod deville, or a Peavey Classic 30, or a Traynor YCV50..

What music do you play mostly?
Why on earth do you need a distortion pedal for classic rock? You surely have enough gain, don't you?

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
You won't get a better sound a pedal than you will with the amps built in modeling, spiders don't take pedals well at all and are generally just poor sounding.

As for the Spider Valve, it's a major improvement over the spider, and it does use tube distortion regardless of what some people will tell you, but it's not worth the money, especially if you play classic rock.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
i'm going to be running the distortion pedal right into the mixer for my marching band with a evh phase 90. as for my classic rock band i need one for tones like journey and i want to be able to switch between distortion and the clean setting without using my footswicth. in my marching band show we are doing big shot by billy joel so i need one for that song. i got the spider 2 a couple of years ago when i just started playing guitar and i know there are better amps than it, but i have not had any problems with it so far. i will agree though that it does sound very digital.
you need a multi-effects or more high-tech-ish distortion pedals.
if you run a normal distortion box into a mixer it'll sound like crap since you don't have a pre-amp.
Quote by zackerzac

Well, you don't need one for the Spider seeing as it has more distortion options that you'll ever need, and it won't work very well anyways so forget about that. I don't understand the bit about "wanting to switch between clean and distortion without using the footswitch" a pedal IS a footswitch, you stand on it and the sound changes...what's the difference? As far as plugging direct into a mixer a normal distortion pedal will sound absolutely atrocious. It simply won't work, you'll just get an incredibly harsh, buzzy tone with no depth.

Unless you buy one of these, seeing as that was what it was designed to do.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tech-21-SansAmp-GT2-Tube-Amp-Emulator?sku=480208
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 3, 2008,
Hey hello i have a micro cube and i like its distortion but i dont have an eq so if i buy a 15 watt laney amp and a metal muff would i be able to get the same good distortion or better and ability to eq?
^You could just buy an EQ pedal, i suppose.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Quote by blind.quardian
Hey hello i have a micro cube and i like its distortion but i dont have an eq so if i buy a 15 watt laney amp and a metal muff would i be able to get the same good distortion or better and ability to eq?

depends what laney amp?
^That's also very true.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
I cant go tube in my house even if i had 10000 dolars so it will be a ss amp probably LG series. i said laney cos i heard it had good cleans.
Again, if you're happy with your amp, and your only beef is that there's no EQ, buy an EQ pedal.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
But i have doubts it will solve my problem my amp is a 2 watt amp and i may not make any difference.
A pedal wont make a difference b/c your amp is only 2 watts? Where did you get that?

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
Not that lets say i add some bass to it will i be able to fell it with its small speaker? things like that. and i think if i had a pedal i would have much more alternatives to tune the distortion than micro cube.. even its with a distortion pedal...