this is quite embarrassing, but i dont pretend to know everything so i'm happy to ask this

what is like a"rack", i've heard of them and seen some but what do they do? do they work like the heads of a stack?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
*resists the urge to upload a dirty pic*

basically a rack system are individual rackmounted preamp/poweramp/effects that are all mounted on a rack and then run into a cab. Yes there are players who use a rack system instead of a traditional guitar amp, however quality rack gear is usually expensive and rack effevcts have been known to be complicated
Quote by pedaler466
Shreadhead22 had nothing helpful to say to me. He just immediatly started being a prick.

Quote by Yngwi3
Shredhead's advice is the best in the thread.

-Mesa Roadster
-Mesa 4x12
-'93 Gibby LP studio
-535q
-CE5/DD-220
-TS9dx
-EB volume
-Shure Wireless
Last edited by shredhead22 at Jul 2, 2008,
Quote by shredhead22
*resists the urge to upload a dirty pic*

basically a rack system is rackmounted preamp/poweramp/effects that are all mounted on a rack. Yes there are players who use a rack system instead of a traditional guitar amp, however quality rack gear is usually expensive

Hehehe.

Yeah, here's an example:

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
*enters thread*

*some memmories get triggored*

*faps*

*leaves thread*

...but seriously, i kind of want to know this, too. I'm unsure as to what they are, also.

@ BaffAttack, what's that thing that says Marshall???
O O

___
^^^ lol

You have the right idea, it pretty much an amp and effects in rack form. The big difference between a rack and a normal head is the preamp and power sections of the amp are separate modules. There are usually effects, tuners and other miscellaneous things on it as well. And it is very very expensive (usually).

If you have access to Reason 4 you can see a digital version of it.

EDIT: I was way too slow...
a rack... well when god made the universe, including substantial evidence to the contrary, a pantheon of other religions, science, diseases and murder, he also made you. and boy were you a hungry little bastard! so when he made your mother, he gave her special funbags that produced a milky white nectar whenever you told her a funny joke. so you see, son; abraham lincoln didn't die in vain! he died in washington D.C.!
it's like a shelf where you put certain pieces of guitar equipment which are constructed so they fit in a rack.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
Quote by TheBax

@ BaffAttack, what's that thing that says Marshall???

That's a Marshall power amp.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Also, racks are usually found in studio, to add effects, and different recording options. I know some guitarists might use a rack set-up, but I would say their primary function is in the studio.
Quote by wyantsm
Also, racks are usually found in studio, to add effects, and different recording options. I know some guitarists might use a rack set-up, but I would say their primary function is in the studio.

You'll find them at live venues too, usually at the FOH position.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

╠═══════╬═══════╣
It's just a case which has shelves of a standard size for your amplifier, effects, power conditioner and whatever else.
well duh! it's a box of your entire loadout!
the only way to make that light is to put all of your **** in a bag of holding.