Hey guys,

I've been struggling for over a year now to love my Electro-Harmonix Small Stone. I've fiddled with it endlessly, but can never quite get satisfied with it, however I hard I try, and however hard I want to love it.

I'm growing to hate the considerable volume loss when I turn it on, its moderate tone-sucking, and its slightly-too-dull phase, which I wish could be a little more pronounced and bold.

When I turn it on, the volume drops, and I'm left with a mushy, somewhat faraway sounding phase which seems to cancel out the depth of my tone. Don't get me wrong, I like the phase tone itself - watery and subtle (but not non-existant), but I can't stand what it does to the rest of my sound, outside of its own effect.

SO, could someone recommend me a new phase pedal which is warm, smooth, and liquidy, which doesn't cause a volume drop when engaged, and is true bypass (or bypasses enough that it doesn't radically affect my tone when I put it in my effects loop)? Also, I'd like it perhaps to work a little better with distortion.

I find the MXR Phase 90 (block lettering) a little too thick and a little too much - it's fine when used with distortion but on clean passages, it's too thick and overbearing. However, I've heard the Script Phase 90 is a nice balance between the Small Stone and the regular Phase 90. Is this a fair assessment? Are there any other/better phasers you could recommend?

Thanks
If you like the sound of the stone, I hear the nano stone doesn't have the volume drop, and I'm pretty sure it's true bypass.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
I have the same problem with my small stone- i love its warm sweep but it seems a little treble sapping when on, so i tried putting my boss EH-2 in front and switch that at the same time to brighten it up a bit, and it works a treat. Not ideal, i know- but it works for me.
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
Quote by 6-string-yay
boss

boss=pedal dominance

he said he wanted something with good bypass, or true, not something with bad tone sucking(not ALL boss pedals have HORRIBLE bypass, just most)
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by timi_hendrix
If you like the sound of the stone, I hear the nano stone doesn't have the volume drop, and I'm pretty sure it's true bypass.

I believe the recent standard size small stones are true bypass and don't suffer from volume drop. I'm no expert though......

Despite mine being one of these recent ones and i still find it sounds better with a boost.
Back To Beginner After Years of No Strumming Also Bass Learner

U-G nooB

Sunn Mustang owners- Go Here! Sunn Mustang Owners Group!
Last edited by Dan_Q at Jul 2, 2008,

+1 I bought the nano stone recently and am quite happy with it -- no volume drop!
there's a volume drop with the small stone? dammit, and I was psyched to get one. The nano-small stone's don't experiance this?

I wasn't fond of the two Phase 90s i tried out, but I do hear the script one (or whatever the custom shop one is), along with the Phase 100 sound quite nice.
Well there is a mod, that eliminates the volume drop. If you like the Small Stone that would be worth looking into.

If your not handy, or set on buying a new pedal check out the Moog Phaser, HBE Psilocybe and the Subdecay Quasar. Those pedals are considered some of the nicest on the market. I personally favor the Moog, because of all the crazy sounds it can do, and its ability to take expression pedals to control any knob. But if you're looking for a straight out simple phaser definitely check out the other two.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
the Nano Stone sounds very similar (but not quite the same, and addresses both of the issues you bring up.

Quote by 6-string-yay
boss

boss=pedal dominance

haha no, Boss=Pedal Mediocrity, for pretty much everything they make there's something better in the same price range, there are very few exceptions to this, and even with those there's usually something better, but more expensive. The only exceptions are the old Japanese made models from the 80s, and those aren't worth what they go for on the used market IMO.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jul 2, 2008,
So, based on the helpful replies here and a bit more of my own research, it basically seems to be a choice between the MXR Script Phase 90 or the EHX Nano Small Stone.

Which one should I go for? The EHX is over half the price, but I've heard mixed reviews as to volume drop and true bypass issues. The MXR seems to be a nice middle ground between the Small Stone and the regular phase 90, but is pretty pricey...

Thoughts? Thanks!
Quote by 6-string-yay
boss

boss=pedal dominance

He didn't say he wanted a tuner pedal
The best phaser is the Maxon phaser. The vintage series Maxon Phaser is fantastic. I have one, and it sounds great. I love it, and It can go from slight phase to over the top. It's a great pedal, but it's expensive. I payed 300 new at a local guitar store, so if you don't have that much i would just save up, this pedal is worth the wait.
Fender American Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
79 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Suhr Pro Series S5
Ovation Custom Balladeer
Mesa Boogie Mark IV with 4x12 Recto Cab
Looking for Ibanez RGA model or Petrucci PM me for details
Don't think I can stretch to that, although admittedly it does look nice...
Wicked, cheers dude I thought the Script one sounded nicest... Would be the most expensive one wouldn't it?!
Last edited by el_jimbo at Jul 3, 2008,