am thinking of getting the boss metal zone... how versatile is it??? i mean i want some heavy stuff, but also i want some clean tones too... should i get it????
you can't get really heavy with it.........
at least not as heavy as I wanted...
Total Failure

If every dream is a wish, then to dream of zombies is to wish for an appetite without responsibility
Quote by Jyscal
am thinking of getting the boss metal zone... how versatile is it??? i mean i want some heavy stuff, but also i want some clean tones too... should i get it????

If you need help picking up distortion pedals then I suggest going to the gym or asking a frend for assistance...don't get anything heavy yet, you'll strain something.

The metal zone sounds awful and isn't remotely versatile, it just sounds like ass no matter what you do with it. Chances are you just need a better amp, but again don't get anything too big. Amps weigh even more than distortion pedals and are therefore even harder to pick up...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jul 3, 2008,
Quote by Jyscal

i dont think so. ive got a boss distortion pedal. it gets you the tone you want for a while, then it starts to sound like crap and you'll end up regretting the purchase. id say get a different distortion pedal that isnt made by boss if you can afford one.
My stuff
Sunn Solarus Head (temporary)
Sunn 2 x 15 cab
Shecter C1 Hellraiser
Boss MD-2
Boss Noise Suppressor
i had a boss mt-2, got sick of it after 4 months.

Also do you want to make a distortion pedal clean?
i say go for the metal muff, like most of these other people i had the mt-2 also, hated it so much, sold it for 10 bucks at a pawn shop xD
I had my Metal Muff for months now and I LOVE IT!

I play a Stock Dean MLX through a Peavey Valveking 112 and it sounds really great (Well for me any way)

I get a sort of Max Cavalera sound through it.
This is my Signature.
i've had a metal zone for years and still like it alot. just like any pedal your amp, guitar, pickup's all effect the sound. and the metal zone is very tweakable. metal muff is a little to dull sounding for my taste..........but thats just me. if you have a guitar center close they have a 30 day return. if you don't like it take it back and try another.
Last edited by mmjohn at Jul 2, 2008,
Depending on how much cash you're looking to blow, look at Seymour Duncan's ODs. Particularly the Twin Tube Mayhem.
I like Rocktron's Silver Dragon Pedal

It's a Solid State Distortion, AND a Tube Distortion in one pedal. The SS sounds really nice, but if you want to get down and dirty, I like the Tube Distortion on a low setting going through the distortion channel on my Randall amp... Sounds mean as hell. Almost acts like a pre-gain stage.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I am a fairly new guitarist but I have used the metal zone, the metal muff, and death metal pedals. Wanna know what I found out!? Pedals suck ballz for distortion. Even the metal muff which everyone says is amazing, to my ears, cuts all bass frequencies and gives out an incomprehensible dribble of treble.

I looked for that awesome distortion tone for quite awhile and what I settled on was a good old tube amp and tube screamer to push the output volume for preamp distortion. I use a blackheart 5w tube amp with maxon tube screamer, crank the amp volume, crank the pedals output volume and bathe in sonic glory at a rich well defined overdriven tone that is plenty saturated for all but death metal. One good overdriven tone is better than 20 terrible ones.

But of course this is just my opinion which someday I assume you will share...
AMT DT-2

Clips here
http://www.pedalgeek.com/cgi-bin/new_shop.cgi?config=&uid=RVwq4wAA1215067433&command=link--amtd

I also have a clip of mine in my profile. At the 1:18 mark you can hear how the pedal sounds when it's set to a clean setting.

Totally worth the cash.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
ok lets say forget the metal zone pedal for now.... i have almost 90$ and i dun want a new amp... am only lookin for a pedal to hook up to my sweet RG and the output to a headset or my labtop.... wut should i get???? smthin that will sound good and has a good variaty of tones
Quote by Jyscal
ok lets say forget the metal zone pedal for now.... i have almost 90$ and i dun want a new amp... am only lookin for a pedal to hook up to my sweet RG and the output to a headset or my labtop.... wut should i get???? smthin that will sound good and has a good variaty of tones

Then you don't want a distortion pedal at all, it won't work.

You need some kind of USB interface like a Line 6 Guitarport for a PC, or a pocket Pod or similar for headphone playing, or a Roland Microcube for a good cheap amp with a headphone socket.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I would strongly reccomend the Digitech DF-7 distortion factory pedal...many different sounds and takes pretty much the best sound u can get frm each of the 7 pedals...or the Metal master and death metal pedals are good too...but i wud say digitech...depends on what kinda distortion ur looking for...u want to play all sortsa stuff then DF-7 definitely i usually use settings 5 and 6 thts mt-2 and metal master...its a very gd distortion pedal which can give you all sorts of distortion from a tube screamer overdrive for older stuff to heavier stuff for death metal...plus with the knobs u can edit those sounds to suit ur requirements...
Quote by steven seagull
Then you don't want a distortion pedal at all, it won't work.

You need some kind of USB interface like a Line 6 Guitarport for a PC, or a pocket Pod or similar for headphone playing, or a Roland Microcube for a good cheap amp with a headphone socket.

are u sure i cant take the output of a distortion pedal to a speaker of somekind??? this is all i want, am away from my home for at least 2 months and i dont want to buy a new amp, cause i already have one... so i thought if i could hook the pedal to my guitar and take the output on a headset or smthin, i will be able to practice
i reccomend u get the Boss ML-2 Metalcore distortion pedal..its one of the best of out there i think. i got it and its awesome for heavy stuff and metal and all of that ...Btw ur not gona get any clean tones with a distortion pedal XD
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Quote by Jyscal
are u sure i cant take the output of a distortion pedal to a speaker of somekind??? this is all i want, am away from my home for at least 2 months and i dont want to buy a new amp, cause i already have one... so i thought if i could hook the pedal to my guitar and take the output on a headset or smthin, i will be able to practice

Yes I am - a pedal doesn't provide enough signal to drive headphones or a speaker. I've already suggested a couple of things to look at that will do what you want.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Jyscal

If that's all you want it for, Vox makes a bunch of little amps that you plug directly into your guitar, and then plug headphones into it. I'm sure it sounds terrible, but it is portable.

If you're actually looking for distortion, then pedals really aren't what you need. 50 good pedals will not make 1 bad amp sound good. With the MT-2, the only way to get it to sound less like ass is to scoop the mids, and then you loose volume, clarity, and it still sounds bad. With the Metalcore pedal, your mids are not even controllable. The only true distortion pedal set up I can reccomend is an MXR Dist + followed by a 10 band EQ to get the tone you want out of it. This is best used with a tube amp, but it sounds okay on cheaper amps as well, since the 10 band EQ can help you tweak the tone until it's good.

also, GG&A
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Or you could use the search bar, that gives great distortion, Lol.

Nah but seriously, the Boss MT-2 sounds very good in my opinion
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Quote by 666-JoE-666

Is your name Hellen Keller?
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SG Man Forever
If that's all you want it for, Vox makes a bunch of little amps that you plug directly into your guitar, and then plug headphones into it. I'm sure it sounds terrible, but it is portable.

If you're actually looking for distortion, then pedals really aren't what you need. 50 good pedals will not make 1 bad amp sound good. With the MT-2, the only way to get it to sound less like ass is to scoop the mids, and then you loose volume, clarity, and it still sounds bad. With the Metalcore pedal, your mids are not even controllable. The only true distortion pedal set up I can reccomend is an MXR Dist + followed by a 10 band EQ to get the tone you want out of it. This is best used with a tube amp, but it sounds okay on cheaper amps as well, since the 10 band EQ can help you tweak the tone until it's good.

also, GG&A

I have the AC30 version of Vox's amplug,, and it sounds really good actually. I haven't tried their metal version or whatever the other one was, but I've read good reviews about them too.
Quote by 666-JoE-666

You also have a Spider and a Behringer pedal...

It doesn't really matter anyway, a conventional distortion pedal isn't going to do what he wants.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

thnx seagull... ill try some of the ways u suggested, but i think i can use a distortion pedal connected to a computer... then i take the output from the pc itself... anywho thnx for the enlightenment
Quote by Jyscal
thnx seagull... ill try some of the ways u suggested, but i think i can use a distortion pedal connected to a computer... then i take the output from the pc itself... anywho thnx for the enlightenment

*bangs head against wall*

no, you can't.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Jyscal

No you can't you tool.

It's extremely quiet, and furthermore, will sound like **** with your stock sound card.
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Reverb
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro Harmonix Big Muff
Ernie Ball VP Junior 250k
Dunlop Cry Baby Wah
Totally depends on the pedal in question. The Sansamp stuff and the AMT I suggested have a cabinet emulator built into the pedal. That means it sends a line level signal which is strong enough to plug directly into a mixer/computer/headphones and provide a good sound.

But yes, a run-of-the-mill MT-2 will sound like a fart in a coffee can if you attempt to plug it straight into a mixer/computer.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

Quote by mogar
Totally depends on the pedal in question. The Sansamp stuff and the AMT I suggested have a cabinet emulator built into the pedal. That means it sends a line level signal which is strong enough to plug directly into a mixer/computer/headphones and provide a good sound.

But yes, a run-of-the-mill MT-2 will sound like a fart in a coffee can if you attempt to plug it straight into a mixer/computer.

so this pedal can drive a headset or a speaker as a direct output??? did u actually try to do it? can you be more specific plz....
Last edited by Jyscal at Jul 4, 2008,
Yes, my AMT can drive headphones. Speakers, no.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

I don't understand why you'd buy a $200 dollar pedal like a sansamp when you could spend $30-40 on a vox amplug that will sound ten times better because it is a headphone amp, so you can use it for it's designated use.
Because this thread was originally a "which distortion pedal" thread.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

well what am gonna do is use the pedal even after am back home where my amp awaits... unlike a micro amp... which will be totally useless to me after i go back. see my point
Last edited by Jyscal at Jul 4, 2008,
well the AMT DT2 will be perfect for me , but the problem is my budget, its a bit expensive, can you suggest something with the same feature and a lower price??
Quote by Jyscal
well the AMT DT2 will be perfect for me , but the problem is my budget, its a bit expensive, can you suggest something with the same feature and a lower price??

try the Pocket Pod, that;s about as cheap as you get for something that can drive headphones as well as being useable for live playing.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Pocket-POD-Guitar-Effects-Processor?sku=151065
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc