Need some help.

I just bought a baja telecaster, and it seems that the shop I bought it from hasn't set it up properly.

The problem is that the further I go up the neck, the more out of tune it gets. Even when I've tuned the opens strings as accurately as possible.
For instance, if I play the 4th fret on the G string, it rings out perfectly in tune with the open B string. But as soon as I hit the 16th fret on the G string, it rings out noticeably flatter than the open B string. The strings all stay in tune with each other when I'm playing barre chords, for the whole length of the neck.

Obviously my first thought is to return it to the shop where I bought it, but I first would like to know - is there any way I can easily fix this at home?
Fender Classic Player Baja Telecaster
Laney TFX3 120w 1x12 Combo
Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion
sounds like an intonation problem, ya just gotta look up which way to turn the saddle screws to lengthen or shorten the strings depending on whether they're flat or sharp at the 12th fret
Neste@
Cool@
To the core!
Thanks for that, I'll give it a go tonight...

I also found some info stating that the 3 saddle bridge on the baja tele means the strings will never truly be in tune for the whole length of the neck, and it's just a case of finding happy mediums between them.

I have to say I'm really disappointed that this is the case and am annoyed that I didn't do my research on this before buying one

However, another thought comes to mind - can I change the three saddle bridge for a six saddle equivalent? Maybe I'm being stupid (I'm quite new to this), but that seems like an obvious solution... then again it might not be that simple...

Help!
Actually, since he hasn't intonated a guitar before, and he just bought it , the store should make sure it is an intonation issue and not a warped neck or something else that can't be fixed. I doubt it is, but just to be on the safe side. IMO, take advantage of the warranty.
Many, many years ago I had bought a brand new BC Rich that had alot of problems. To make a long story short, when I had brought it back to the store, they realized it was a problem not worth fixing and they let me choose any other guitar in the store for the same value. Too bad that store had closed down now, but that was great service!
I'd certainly be taking it back!!

I wouldn't be worrying too much about the three saddle bridge either - it's one of the things that makes a classic telecaster.
you can buy compensated saddles, which are angled so that the strings are more properly intonated. there's still only three, so it'll never be exactly perfect, but a lot closer.
Thanks for all the advice, I adjusted the saddles last night and it's not too bad at all now.
I'll have a look into those compensated saddles as well.

One last thing - it seems to be dropping out of tune a little after 20 minutes of jammin. This said, I've only had the guitar a week now, so is it just a case of settling in? Or if I couple this problem with the previous intonation issues is it a more serious problem?

Hmm...

Oh, and I've heard a wound G string might be better for this telecaster... thoughts?
Last edited by BadMotherHugger at Jul 4, 2008,
Quote by BadMotherHugger

Oh, and I've heard a wound G string might be better for this telecaster... thoughts?

If you want to bend your G string then no. I can't see the point on an electric. And did it drop out of tune before you adjusted the intonation?
Yeah, this was still a problem before I sorted the intonation, but at the time I assumed it was a matter of settling in.
Since you just bought this Tele, I'll go with Dreamality and mark_wuk - bring it back to the shop. This thread implied that you're still not that familiar with basic set-up, nothing wrong with that, it'll come soon enough; however, to truly appreciate that beast, it needs a pro set-up.

Good Luck!

Well, what can I say?

Thanks for the help guys. Took it back to the shop and they sorted it all out for me there and then. Turns out they hadn't set it up at all, so Mr. Man went about setting the intonation and telling me how to do it for next time. Recommended a few other things, namely that Fender stock strings were quite bad, and probably should go for something else the next time I need to restring.

So thanks again for all your wise words.

Happy Jammin!