hey, i just read a guitar mag article about fretless guitars and the rock n' roll pioneers that play them, and i wanted to hear from some people who play this style- is it too much harder than conventional weapons, is it worth learning, how do you remember where to put your fingers, or some flaming for how much of a noob i am. whatever works.
most fretless guitars and basses still keep the fret markers along the side of the fretboard so you know where you are

but yes, it is quite the challenge to play(imo because im a noob)
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
I play fretless bass and it has markers on the side and the frets are painted on, I just have to use round wound strings so it wont damage the fretboard. On a guitar you'll have to use a glass fretboard I think.
the article said to put your fingers 1/3 ahead of the fret to avoid being sharp or flat.
if there's someone on this site who can help me learn to play fretless, ima takethe frets off of my C-40.
I dont think you can just take the frets off a guitar, you need to buy a whole new one designed to be fretless...
Quote by StonaLemons
I dont think you can just take the frets off a guitar, you need to buy a whole new one designed to be fretless...

You sand them down
Quote by blood8815
You sand them down
Don't sand them down. Take them out and fill in the gaps.
Quote by smb
Don't sand them down. Take them out and fill in the gaps.

And dont use wood filling.
Quote by StonaLemons

Nah, you can just pretty much yank them out and fill in the gaps and you have yourself a fretless guitar.

EDIT: Ah, I see I was beaten to it
Quote by Gummy Balls
Who the hell posts that they made up a chord on a guitar forum? He should of just called this thread " flame the shit out me".

~Founder of the Pokemon Appreciation Club~
Well, I played the violin for about seven years and got pretty good at it, and violins are fretless, but I think if I had to play a fretless guitar I would probably just quit guitar entirely.

I can't see it being fun to learn.

Violin was an absolute nightmare to learn. But once you get it down, it's pretty fun.

I feel like learning fretless guitar is much harder than learning violin. At least the fingering part.
Quote by mrvile
I feel like learning fretless guitar is much harder than learning violin. At least the fingering part.

Why should it be so? It's almost exactly the same kind of learning just a little bigger and with 2 extra strings.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i was gonna heat the frets up so they come off of the glue, then use a DAP puddy to fill in the cracks, sand, and paint over.
and is there anyone here who really PLAYS fretless? this whole wide internet has nothing more than speculation?
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Why should it be so? It's almost exactly the same kind of learning just a little bigger and with 2 extra strings.

Have you ever played a violin?

Trust me, it's very, very different.

First of all, the strings are different. On a violin, from the low to high string, it's GDAE. On a guitar, from low to high, it's EADGBE. A violin is also held differently, vibrato is approached differently, there are no chords (except a few very rare double stops every now and then) and finally, the kind of music played is very different.

Knowing how to play the violin didn't really help me much when I learned guitar, except my finger dexterity was already pretty good (but that also came from years of piano and typing on a computer). Most of my music theory for guitar came from my 12 years of piano, and otherwise guitar is a very different instrument for me.
okay, so if i need to learn about violins i'll ask you guys. but fretless- worth the effort of making and learning, or just a hassle that will cost more time than it''s worth?
The contradicting advice in this thread is just hilarious
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
Quote by rock_and_blues
Fretless is great for slide playing. I've toyed around with it here and there.

That's what I was thinking. I think I've seen a photo of Ry Cooder with a fretless.
Quote by mrvile
Have you ever played a violin?

Trust me, it's very, very different.

First of all, the strings are different. On a violin, from the low to high string, it's GDAE. On a guitar, from low to high, it's EADGBE. A violin is also held differently, vibrato is approached differently, there are no chords (except a few very rare double stops every now and then) and finally, the kind of music played is very different.

Knowing how to play the violin didn't really help me much when I learned guitar, except my finger dexterity was already pretty good (but that also came from years of piano and typing on a computer). Most of my music theory for guitar came from my 12 years of piano, and otherwise guitar is a very different instrument for me.

I meant why should playing a fretless guitar be much harder than playing a violin? I imagine that playing violin would be much harder than playing a normal guitar.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by aznmetalhead93
I heard that chords played on fretless guitars don't stay in tune very well. Is this true?

Yes, it's hard to do chords. Should be fairly obvious why!
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Quote by aznmetalhead93
I heard that chords played on fretless guitars don't stay in tune very well. Is this true?

They stay in tune fine, you just have to be constantly listening so your fingers are in the right place to begin with; intonation on a fretless is the biggest issue in playing one I think.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
I meant why should playing a fretless guitar be much harder than playing a violin? I imagine that playing violin would be much harder than playing a normal guitar.

playing Violin is harder, but if you are used to Violin I can imagine a fretless guitar being harder, the scale length is drastically different, as is the neck radius (usually), also the general approach is just different.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
playing Violin is harder, but if you are used to Violin I can imagine a fretless guitar being harder, the scale length is drastically different, as is the neck radius (usually), also the general approach is just different.

Not really harder then, just different as with any new instrument.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Not really harder then, just different as with any new instrument.

Depends on where you are coming from, if you are used to playing one instrument and switch to something that's sort of similar but radically different at the same time it can cause problems.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Depends on where you are coming from, if you are used to playing one instrument and switch to something that's sort of similar but radically different at the same time it can cause problems.

True I guess but then we're getting into the area of which is more difficult? Doing something new or adapting things you already know to new situations...quite frankly I don't want to touch that question with a barge pole...

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.