Now, My buddy is looking at an LP studio. HOWEVER, I am convinced there are better LP styled guitars for far under the overpriced under-quality Gibson so he learns not to spend money on a name.

All that Comes to mind now to me are the ESP EC series guitars. Can any of you think of any LP copy guitars that compare with the Gibson Les Paul Studios (or surpass it) for under the cost of one?
Gibson Les Paul Studios are amazing.. i have one.. have you tried them? they aren't under-quality at all... overpriced by a little bit, but the worn ones aren't too bad...
Tokai LC or Tokai LS, I'd say. They're basicly copies of gibson guitars but the price is much more correct compared to the quality
鋼の錬金術師
Well, if it's overpriced, then the money you spend is not all going into quality, it's going into their pockets. Therefore, it is under-quality..
i say Tokais and ESP LTD EC. Agiles have been receiving good reviews.
i also like the Ibanez ART series. The newer ART versions have active pickups,but i prefer the older ones with passives.
imo, the Epiphone Elitist Les Pauls are way better than Gibson Les Paul Studios.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by Highwaytohell
Now, My buddy is looking at an LP studio. HOWEVER, I am convinced there are better LP styled guitars for far under the overpriced under-quality Gibson so he learns not to spend money on a name.

All that Comes to mind now to me are the ESP EC series guitars. Can any of you think of any LP copy guitars that compare with the Gibson Les Paul Studios (or surpass it) for under the cost of one?

I dunno about comparing with an LP Studio but the EC-400s with Duncans are very nice guitars. Maybe look at Tokai if you can get hold of them, I've heard good things.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by Highwaytohell
Perhaps the Santana SE singlecuts.
I loved the tone I got with those things...

ya it's a really great guitar and you can use it in many genres.

I'd say go for it
鋼の錬金術師
Its just going to be hard to convince him

I'm trying to teach my bud early on not to fall for cliches based on guitar brands. If this is how he is with gibsons, can you imagine what it'll be like getting him off marshalls?!
Reverend Guitars "Roundhouse" model looks awesome and lists for about 9 bills.

http://www.reverendguitars.com/reverend/guitars/set_neck_series/roundhouse_hb_fm.html

I also hear they do killer setups before shipping!
Last edited by carpepax at Jul 2, 2008,
There is an Ibanez model called the ART300 that plays really well. The small music shop near me has one. It's got Ibanez Active pickups in it, and my guitar teacher even said that if he got it, he would play it next to his Gibson LP custom. It's only $400 too! Tell him to go try one! He will be pleasantly surprised. The cracked brown finish is stunning btw.
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
Last edited by Chance125 at Jul 2, 2008,
It's pretty hard to beat a used studio for tone in that price range, to be honest. I think the lesson here should be "play some, then decide what you want."
Ruling out a gibson just because of the name is just as silly as buying one solely based on the logo.
^+10 I agree.

He could also try out the Epiphone Slash LP, if that fits his style of music.
PRS SE Singlecut
Bogner Alchemist 112 Combo
Dunlop Classic Crybaby
Martin OM-1 and Backpacker Steel String
Seagull

Youtube Channel -Click Me Please-
most of the high-end Epiphone's are under a grand, if you wanna shy away from Epi and Gibson, a buddy of mine has the ESP EC-1000 STB, the flame top blue one, and its extremely nice, but its around a grand. They do have the other variations of the Ec for cheaper.

so under 1k, Epiphone, Agile, and ESP LTD.
Peavey XXX combo *upgraded screen resistors, Tung-Sol's, and 6L6's*
Schecter Syn Std. * modded, scalloped, and worn*
Schecter C-1 Elite *still sexy*
Ibanez AEL 12-string

"He who sticks his dick in peanut butter is fucking nuts"
Hagstrom Super Swede

Amazing Guitar

Sorry For Caps But Its That Good Of A Guitar.
Quote by Punkismygod
Tokai LC or Tokai LS, I'd say. They're basicly copies of gibson guitars but the price is much more correct compared to the quality

where can you actually buy tokai in the USA? (ie what website?)
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by Iceman 420
EDWARDS, Tokai, Burny, Greco.

Booya

Edwards are awesome. On par with ESP standard series guitars and can be had for $700-$900.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
My Epi Custom Black Beauty keeps me VERY happy...

not too mention the tone is so warm, everytime i start to play some blues i get goosebumps =]]]

i think it has something to do with the 3 humbuckers on it ... hahaha
and by the way i got mine for $370 with a lil 15 watt amp, 2 25ft. cables, an RP7 Valve multi effects pedal, and a hardshell case...

i dont know if ill ever find a deal like this again but lets just say i was ****in stoked!!!
I was bent on buying an LP and had my heart set on a beautiful flametop for around $1600. I played it, it sounded great, it felt great. Done deal, right?

At a different guitar shop a day or so later, I played a Hagstrom Swede. Played better than the LP, sounded as good, too. Plugged it in to a crappy amp just to make sure it wasn't the Orange Rockverb that sounded so great.

Played the LP again and was disappointed... long story short, I bought a Hagstrom Swede. And then I bought a Super Swede. They are both excellent, and I have still have $700 in my pocket.

Someone mentioned the Reverend, and they are killer guitars. My cuz has the Volcano (flying V style) and the thing is beyond belief. And I don't even like V-style guitars. So I'd imagine that Reverend LP-=style would be just as good.
Quote by Roc8995
Ruling out a gibson just because of the name is just as silly as buying one solely based on the logo.

agreed.

Quote by Highwaytohell
Perhaps the Santana SE singlecuts.
I loved the tone I got with those things...

an MIJ tokai, edwards, etc. would annihilate a prs se...

Quote by Iceman 420
EDWARDS, Tokai, Burny, Greco.

agreed.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Edwards, Greco, Orville and Tokai LP copies seem to be top notch. ESP EC series are also really amazing.
Agile makes very nice LP copies.
Your opinion is just that, YOUR opinion. It doesn't make you right. It doesn't make you better. It doesn't make you god. Everyone has their own view and that view is neither right or wrong.

Ignorance destroys music.