Yeah I know it's lulzy.

I basically started playing guitar as something to do while I was downloading on the pc or when I was bored. I didn't really take it seriously at all.

So here I am 5 years later, same guitar, new amp. New strings and drop C tuned (yes I do know tunings and string names but that's about it)

The other reason is that no one that I know from school/work etc plays drums/bass/guitar and even the ones that do don't give a crap about starting a band or playing anything seriously.

I play stuff like Cancer Bats/Billy Talent/Alexisonfire and Atreyu/BFMV/A7x.
I can do most of Dan Jacob's solos and 3/4 of Eruption.

I can play pretty much anything that I sit down and learn if I practice it enough :|

So where do you guys think is a good starting place for me to learn theory given that I'm not a beginner? I don't want to play hot crossed buns or whatever the f*** the songs are in those beginner guitar books.

Scales? Don't know any of them or how to tell what key a song is in or anything like that.

i toll my teacher to teach me theory and i dint get anything he said. he toll me to learn the notes on the fret board first, so i guess that were you shold start

Guitar : Fender CIJ Mustang and a Telecaster
Amp : 76 fender champ
Pedals : BBE green screamer, Big muff, Ibanez LU20 Pedal Tuner, boss loop pedal
mmm I've been playing for 4 years and dont understand any theory, its starting to get on my nerves but when ever I try learn it I dont have a clue wtf I'm reading, it just doesnt make sence to me.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Oh boy.

Hmm...learning music theory yourself is pretty tough unless you REALLY try hard and do a lot of reading. If you really can't go to a teacher or have someone teach you, then buying a book or reading some articles on the internet is really all I can tell you to do. And yes, you're going to have to play things like hot cross buns and whatnot, but you'll be learning a lot while you do so, so don't fret (haha no pun intended).

Most people who are self-taught generally know music theory from something else. I personally am self-taught, but I know a lot of music theory from years and years of piano training. I think if I tried to teach myself guitar without ever having played another instrument, I'd probably know jack sh*t about music theory.

God luck.
I have been playing for a little over 2 years and wanted to learn theory. There is this book that I purchased online just because it looked good. It actually has a lot of things in it that any guitarist can benefit from. Its called Music Theory for Guitarists: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know But Were Afraid to Ask
Written by Tom Kolb. http://www.amazon.com/Music-Theory-Guitarists-Everything-Wanted/dp/063406651X
I would really recommend this one to everyone to read if they are interested in learning about theory. See if the library has it so you can save some money, but I would say buy it. Its good to have in a collection with other guitar books.
The Crusade articles by Josh Urban in the Columns section are a great starting point to help ease you into learning theory.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
ive been playing for 2 years now.and some of the stuff my guitar teacher says doesnt make any sense at times. but im srry but i dont know any places for you to start off with music theory. but i only know one scale though, here it is.

E-| 2 3 5
B-| 3 5
G-| 2 4 5
D-| 2 4 5
A-| 2 3 5
E-| 3 5

im sorry if its sloppy but the scale is like a do-ray-mi whatever its called.
oh yeah start with the low e string and just play it moderatly. plus i dont know anything about music theory either.
Check this site out: http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/

And look for the chord construction lesson in UG.

That will get you started without overwhelming too much.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS