Well I think I solved my no band problem. I just recently learned that there's a bar in my area that does open mic nights, and was thinking it could be a great way to get myself noticed. The only problem is that I can't sing and play guitar at the same time, at least not well, so I'd have to get someone else to sing for me (one of my friends sings and is pretty good, and is into the same stuff I am). I've written some originals, and have learned a decent amount of covers, all of which are well known and great crowd pleasers. I think they let you play up to 3 or 4, maybe even 5 songs, and was wondering what you guys think I should use as my set list if I ever get around to doing the open mic night? Here's the list of songs I can play pretty much spot on. I'm working on a multitude of others, but these are the ones I can play best:

Aerials- System of a Down
Time of Your Life (Good Riddance)- Greenday
Brain Stew- Greenday
Drive- Incubus
Vampires- Godsmack
Livin' In Sin- Godsmack
Hollow- Godsmack
Down With The Sickness- Disturbed (I've got this one down almost perfect, I just gotta work on it a little bit more)
Tetris main theme (dunno who this is by, but I got it down really well and have metallized it. All that my friends say about my metallized version of it is "sick, dude")

I also have about 3 or 4 acoustic-ish original songs written, and a whole ****e load of heavy stuff which has been described as a combo of Alice In Chains and Godsmack with some Lamb of God and Rob Zombie thrown in. I don't have any lyrics written to my originals (I suck at writing lyrics), and was thinking my friend that sings could write the lyrics.

I want to do at least 1 original song, if not 2, and would like to do Aerials as well. What other songs would you guys reccommend I play out of that list? I was also thinking of doing just a little 1 to 1 and a half minute or so shred fest, but with a mixed bar crowd, I dunno how that would be recieved. I've done some stuff at parties and my shredding has never been not well recieved, so I may just do it. People have been known to cheer after my little shred-fests at parties, and the best way to describe it would be as a mix of Eddie Van Halen (I'm quite partial to pick tapping in my solos), Zakk Wylde, and Tony Rombola.
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
Last edited by Helloween_rox at Jul 3, 2008,
Any suggestions, guys?
Question not yourself. Challenge those who would deny you your true self for an independent thinker is the greatest enemy to those who seek to control you
People sitting at a coffee shop listening to solo musicians probably aren't into heavy broottewl guitar and screamo. They're probably into the Beatles, Elvis, smooth jazz, etc. Use your head, kid
^ +1, its ok to do a metal song if you can chill it out a little and make it sound good acoustically and maybe make it jazzy/country-ish/classical-ish etc. take something good and make it into something else good. personally i like to do this with tool songs.
you need to understand the difference between good music and complete ****, like the music you posted
Quote by Free Time
People sitting at a coffee shop listening to solo musicians probably aren't into heavy broottewl guitar and screamo. They're probably into the Beatles, Elvis, smooth jazz, etc. Use your head, kid

It's not a coffee shop, it's an actual bar (drunkards, sluts, rockers, the whole 9 yards).
Quote by Helloween_rox
It's not a coffee shop, it's an actual bar (drunkards, sluts, rockers, the whole 9 yards).

Do you know if they have amps/a drumset at this open mic? If they do, you should try to get an actual band together. Most of your songs would probably suck acoustic, TBH.
Go and check it out once before you try to get in there and try and do anything. I go to jam sessions a lot, different places have different setups. A couple places I go now, you sign up and when your called you play with the house band or with anyone else; you play about three or four songs and your done unless you go up with someone else. Other jam sessions I went to you set up and played however long you wanted (this type you have to know how to follow the other players since you may not know a song someone is wanting to play). Again, Check it out first and talk to the people running it. It's definately a good way to get playing time and have other people check you out.
Gibson ES335
Ibanez RG370DXGP
Ibanez SA Series
Fender Acoustic
Marshall JCM800 1-12 split channel
Yh tht ^ is sound advice. You should always check the place out before you get involved. The Jam Night i go to is set so that you get up and play a couple of songs with the house band. although normally my band and I take over for a couple of songs, it gives the house band a break and gets us noticed.

We had a bloke come up and ask if we were interested in being part of his jam night some other place, but its a distance away and on our prom night so we cant unfortunately but yeah.

Also when you go, get a feel for the sort of music tyhey play there. If its predominantly blues/classic rock stuff, jumping in and playing metal isnt gonna go down so good with the crowd. My band plays old stuff anyway so when we play we go down fine but there has been times were people have flopped trying to do something new. It all about playing the crowd.

EDIT:

Oh and ignore Free Time, hes being a cheese.
Not to mention, you might have that list of ten-ish songs prepared, but you are often at the mercy of what songs the house band knows and is willing to play. (If they're not willing to play it, they'll just say they don't know it....) If it is a simple song, they might just ask one of you to jot down the chords and they'll feel it out as they go.

#2, 3, 4 are fair and reasonable bets. The others.... fat chance. Unless you want to get up with just the two of you, but those kinds of things usually fail from an audience point of view.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Well my cover of the Tetris main theme can also be done acoustically and sound good too, so I was thinking of going with that.
I find the best music to play during Open Mic Night is Tenacious D, for obvious reasons.
Quote by stevenpollock
You can't be successful in Jazz music until you're at least 40. You don't have anything to say.
i agree with a few of the above statements. they have an open mic around me, i go almost every night they have it just to sit and listen to what people have to play. its a wide range of sound from acoustic one person sets to full bands. you have to do a crowd pleaser, but pick a easy one that people wont judge you on. dont play a zeppelin song, or a hendrix one unless you can do it flawlessly. im not a fan of it, but the good riddance greenday one is easy and people know it. sublime what i got is dead simple also and has a very easy solo in it. it sounds like you are into metal, so make sure other people do metal up there otherwise the crowd wont like it and you'll feel it. make sure you have fun.
"Hollow" by Godsmack is a great acoustic song, and it has a female singer in with Sully on it, so I was thinking of doing that one too. I suggest you guys take a listen to it, it's a great song.