So starting later this month I'm going to be taking a class four days a week at a local community college (i'm still in highschool), which is about 40 minutes (21 miles) away from where I live. My car 25 mpg city/34 mpg highway, which is pretty decent considering it's a 1997. Still though, that's going to be averaging about a gallon each way, which is bound to get expensive. Fortunately, this class only lasts a month. However, I'd still like to try to save as much gas as I can. Any suggestions on how to increase mileage? I avoid using A/C when it is not unbearably hot, I normally drive 5 under the speed limit if there isn't anyone behind me, and I don't keep excess weight in my car. Any other suggestions? Nothing that would involve a mechanic or expensive parts, please.

PS I know someone's going to say these, so buses and biking aren't options. No buses come back to where I live, and I also don't feel like biking on a 55 mph road, which would be unavoidable. I'm sure someone will say this as well, so I also am aware that gas prices in Europe are higher, but that doesn't mean I can't want to save money.
Put it into neutral whenever you're stopped at lights and stuff is really all I know..
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

drive slowly skip gears when you can, steer smoothly, lose weight, dont have 6 plasma screens in your rims.
Quote by stinger12345
Put it into neutral whenever you're stopped at lights and stuff is really all I know..

or turn the car off completely

Edit: it's illegal in california, but put the car in neutral and coast down hills.
Quote by samick007
or turn the car off completely

Edit: it's illegal in california, but put the car in neutral and coast down hills.

no the ignition causes more energy expenditure than otherwise. Like leaving a lightbulb on if you are out the room for 2 mins it causes more energy loss.

Above edit..coasting is dangerous BTW i wouldnt do it
Coast down hills when you can and avoid stopping if possible.

Accelerate slowly.
I know now what I knew then, but I didn't know then what I know now
no, dont turn off the car unless ur stopped for like 5 mins, it takes more fuel to start up again,

also, try to keep speeds around 80-100 km any speed over 100 greatly reduces efficiency, also like you said, limit a/c use, it takes rougly 5 hp to run, and considering it only takes about 15-20 horses to run a vehicle after acceleration you can see how that affects fuel, also
get your oil changed and air filter befroe you go, it helps

but im no mechanic,

.. but i am training for it, im an apprentice
try not to brake too much. Im not joking either, obviously dont get into an accident but braking just means accelerating soon after which is bad news for your mpg stat. also change your oil, oil filter, and air filter.
flintstones car? jk
make sure your tire pressure is right
Quote by RU Experienced?
Now with 20 percent more Allah!!!

Quote by Borsworth
^^^

Quote by GoldenRose94

that'd be slightly creepy if i didn't find it so amusing.
Don't coast dude, that's not safe. Find out if someone in the class lives nearby and see if you can get a carpool going..
http://waystoimprovegasmileage.com/

Oh plus with the A/C thing, having your windows open while travelling fast creates more air drag and reduces mileage as well. It's really the lesser of two evils. I keep my windows down while going slow and A/C on at freeway/highway speeds.
ಥ_ಥ
You might want to check this article out. It's a slide show of different things "hypermilers" do. I'm not going to condoning everything it says because some could be a little unsafe and I don't know enough about it to go tell you to follow it. I'd look it thru to get some ideas, just take it with a grain of salt.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

they actually are selling a hydrogen injector now that you can install on your car (its so easy my lil brother could do it) and it only costs about $350. Btw, it also makes its own hydrogen = )
Songs
Our Song

Quote by archangels666

YOU MOTHER GET UP, come on get DOWN WITH THE BUTTSECKS!
YOU FUCKER GET UP, come on get DOWN WITH THE BUTTSECKS!
BUTTSECKS IS THE GIFT THAT HAS BEEN GIVEN TO ME!

I agree with what most everyone is saying. The easiest things to do are make sure your tire pressure is right and change your oil when it needs it. And obviously drive the speed limit or less.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
Quote by tuwyci
no the ignition causes more energy expenditure than otherwise. Like leaving a lightbulb on if you are out the room for 2 mins it causes more energy loss.

Above edit..coasting is dangerous BTW i wouldnt do it

That lightbulb statement is completely false. Also, most cars used nowadays have momore advanced fuel injection systems, which means turning it off if your stopped somewhere for more than 30 seconds saves you gas.
We spent a lifetime on the
Beaches of Normandy in vain

Quote by poopsmith666
oooh look at me, i'm clincher, internet tough guy

Quote by theBaartMan
When Nostradamus predicted badassery, he spoke of clincher09.

<//////> ~

UG's NIN fan club
Quote by Free Time
Don't coast dude, that's not safe. Find out if someone in the class lives nearby and see if you can get a carpool going..

Yeah, I never coast in neutral. I do coast down hills, because there's really no point in accelerating, but I stay in drive.

Yeah, that's a good idea. I'll have to try that.

Oh fuck me

Oh plus with the A/C thing, having your windows open while travelling fast creates more air drag and reduces mileage as well. It's really the lesser of two evils. I keep my windows down while going slow and A/C on at freeway/highway speeds.

Ok, I will keep that in mind. The majority of the drive is in 35 mph zones, so not too fast, but there are some faster areas.

Train

No trains in the local area. I'm 21 miles (as said in the first post) from the nearest city..
Make Sure your tires are at the rgt pressure. What you can do is overfill them a bit, to maybe 40 psi (depends on your tire) bit it will eventually wear down your tire thread. Also you do wanna accelerate, quick, but just dont go over 60 or so. Cuz engines are in their most efficient when it's in full use. If you hinder the engine power than your just sucking up gas for unused power. Thats why you get more MPG in the highway cuz you're going faster. Overall filter check up is nice. If you feel like spending you can get new spark plug cables and spark plugs. And in the long run you wanna clean your injectors to remove any built up carbon. There's also a lot more you can do but Im to lazy to type.
there's a million little things you can do. change spark plugs,use some fuel injecter cleaner air filter, tire inflation check. the list goes on...
member #4 of the lynyrd skynyrd fan club!

Hell yaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Quote by wshnationals
hell yes, redneckrocker2, hell yes.