i just got an onyx satellite and im having a pain in the ass setting this thing up

well is pretty much set up but i have some questions

right now im using tracktion 3 the thing came with tracktion 2 but i was unable to installed it the cd is dirty or something always crashes when i try to install it so i just downloaded traction 3

i have a soundblaster audigy and the mackie going through the firewire

my problem is this

if i have the soundlbaster audigy 2 selected i do get sound on the program through my computer speakers but if i choose the audigy 2 the only inputs im able to use on the program to record are the ones on my soundcard

so everytime i want to record it goes like this i switch to satellite so i can use the input but the outputs are change to the satelitte as well
at the moment i dont have monitors to put on the output of the satellite but i can use headphones for the output and im able to hear myself but the headphones are crap and i hate having those thigns on my ears

so my question is how can i get my soundcard to be the output for sound and keep the satelitte for input only ?

or do you guys know of a better program that i could use to avoid this kind of problem?

any ideas,tips,advice is appreciated
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah Pedal
Cordoba C7 Nylon String Acoustic Guitar
Metal muff
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster Ash
First off,you want to disable that creative card and dont ever let your PC use it again. The ONYX is now your main soundcard and blows away that creative piece of sh*t.
Right click MY COMPUTER and hit MANAGE,now a box pops up,and on the left you see a thing called DEVICE MANAGER...click that. Now on the right, you see a thing called SOUND,VIDEO and GAME CONTROLLERS, double click that. Right click on your creative card and disable it.

Now your PC should only be using your mackies in's and outs by default... to check this, go into your control panel and click SOUNDS and AUDIO DEVICES...click the AUDIO tab and make sure both say mackie...dont worry about the midi one.
(also its good to turn off windows "sounds schemes "under the SOUNDS tab as well)

Now,if your using regular pc speakers,youll probally need to get an adapter to hook them up to your ONYX's MAIN OUTS..or CONTROL ROOM out's..such as this one here :
http://www.directproaudio.com/images/products/YPP-136.gif
Its your basic "Y" cable thats 1/8" Stereo Female to (2) 1/4" MONO plugs.

For headphones youll need to buy the appropriate cable/adapters as well.

Now in every audio app,pc game ect.... should be set up to use the onyx's in's and out's by default..but in some cases such as audio apps like traction, ,youll have to setup the software to use the mackie drivers and the mackie's ASIO drivers.
Last edited by PsychomanZ at Jul 3, 2008,
Quote by PsychomanZ
First off,you want to disable that creative card and dont ever let your PC use it again. The ONYX is now your main soundcard and blows away that creative piece of sh*t.
Right click MY COMPUTER and hit MANAGE,now a box pops up,and on the left you see a thing called DEVICE MANAGER...click that. Now on the right, you see a thing called SOUND,VIDEO and GAME CONTROLLERS, double click that. Right click on your creative card and disable it.

Now your PC should only be using your mackies in's and outs by default... to check this, go into your control panel and click SOUNDS and AUDIO DEVICES...click the AUDIO tab and make sure both say mackie...dont worry about the midi one.
(also its good to turn off windows "sounds schemes "under the SOUNDS tab as well)

Now,if your using regular pc speakers,youll probally need to get an adapter to hook them up to your ONYX's MAIN OUTS..or CONTROL ROOM out's..such as this one here :
http://www.directproaudio.com/images/products/YPP-136.gif

For headphones youll need to buy the appropriate cable/adapters as well.

Now in every audio app,pc game ect.... should be set up to use the onyx's in's and out's by default..but in some cases such as audio apps like traction, ,youll have to setup the software to use the mackie drivers and the mackie's ASIO drivers.

I'm pretty sure that's not what he asked.
Quote by KetchupLad14

In a way..i think he did.
Hes looking for a solution to the "switching to different soundcards" everytime he wants to use traction. ...dee de dee!
Quote by KetchupLad14

No, but it's a better solution.
There is poetry in despair.
You also don't have to disable your Creative card. Simply use the inputs and outputs on the Onyx while recording, mixing, etc, and then turn it off when you're doing regular stuff like gaming or whatever and plug your speakers back into the creative card.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic
Last edited by Death-Speak at Jul 3, 2008,
http://www.directproaudio.com/image...cts/YPP-136.gif
Its your basic "Y" cable thats 1/8" Stereo Female to (2) 1/4" MONO plugs.

i got 5.1 speakers will i still get 5.1 sound through the mackie satellite and will i be able to connect them all? judging by the cable it looks that for each connector i need to plug 2 things i got about 3 connectors so that would make 6 conections

the solution that i was looking more specifically is using the inputs of the mackie and using the outputs of the soundcard but the program doesnt let me

yesterday i downloaded adobe audition 3 i going to try today to see if with that program i be able to do that kind of change

i got to go to class in a little while so when i come back i take a better look at it
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff
F the 5.1...i told you the solution..but if you want to continue having troubles and switching inputs and outputs all the time and configurations...be my guest.
You also don't have to disable your Creative card. Simply use the inputs and outputs on the Onyx while recording, mixing, etc, and then turn it off when you're doing regular stuff like gaming or whatever and plug your speakers back into the creative card.

F the 5.1...i told you the solution..but if you want to continue having troubles and switching inputs and outputs all the time and configurations...be my guest.

i managed to solve the problem on the software i have the thing set up to the mackie and for windows other stuff i have the creative card set up now

thanks for the help guys

i got some other questions

do you guys know how can i add backing tracks in tracktion 3?
my guitar stuff:
ESP JH-600
ValveKing 112
DigiTech Whammy Pedal
Taylor 314CE
Metal muff