I was just wondering how fast someone would have to play in order to make the shredders in this forum say wow now thats fast?
I generally consider picking sextuplets cleanly at 120 bpm to be a low to be considered a shredder. That's just my standard though, there really isn't a set rule on it. However, if you are just flailing on the string wildly at that speed with your arm tensed and your wrist still, I won't even consider you a guitarist. You would just be some loser who thinks they can play really fast, even if it's not clean at all. To me, proper technique is way more impressive than playing really fast.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Last edited by Iron_Dude at Jul 2, 2008,
Quote by metal4eva_22
can you give me an actual measurement like 14 nps or sextuplets at 144

no i actually cant haha. sorry
1642 ELEPHANTS LIVE HERE

Bass Gear
Fender Deluxe Jazz Bass (Active Electronics) (MIM)
Ampeg SVT-7Pro Head
Ampeg SVT-610 Cab
I can play at 14 notes a second on one string with the same 3 notes over and over. I don't like playing like that though, since it is not much fun. It is just more to impress people, just like tapping.

A.W
Playing fast comes from dedication and proper practice over a very long time. It's not unique to every person in any way. The only person I think who could be considered different would be Shawn Lane, simply because he had what I believe to be an overactive nervous system.
"It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner." - Frank Zappa

The name's Garrett.

Gear and stuff:
Taylor 310
American Strat w/ Texas Specials
Ibanez JS1000
Vox Wah (true bypass & LED mod)
Dr. Z Maz 18 JR NR
Fast is generally considered 10 notes per second (nps), which is 16th notes at 150 bpm.

NPS=Notes per beat*Tempo/60

Crazy fast is anywhere from 15 to 18 nps or faster.
^I think 14 nps is ridiculous enough. John Petrucci plays 14 nps regularly in solos for DT, although he HAS gone up to 19 at some points during his solo work and LTE I believe.