I have had my guitar for about 6-7 months but for most of that time i didnt play it at all. Now i really want to get serious about it though and start playin. I am taking some lessons now at the local music store and im not sure if there worth the 20 bux a week, cuz its only 30 minute sessions, so 30 minutes a week for 20 bucks a week seems kind of a rip off to me. My teachers cool but he doesent really teach me how to play he just shows me how to do some random thing and then i have to go home and practice it. The only reason i havent already dropped it is because i would like to learn the theory part of music. I looked at online stuff i can do hammerons and pullofs somewhat. Now im not sure the best way to larn and get better. Do i pick out ONE song that i like and go nuts till i have it mastered or try working on various things at a time. right now i can only do intros to songs like mAster of puppets and battery and stairway toheaven etc etc. So if anyone can tell me a good method of practicing that isnt to boring and maybe some good songs to start with thatd be super cool.
ps plz dont hate me if 100 other people asked these same questions i know some people get prety ticked off about there forum spam.
Well, if you think that lessons are about learning songs then you are wrong. Lessons are used in order to show you theory and general guitar technique. A good method of practice is to play with other people, I find that the most enjoyable. Try learning something together. Always try to challenge yourself with harder songs, and don't just pick the easy ones.

A.W
Try working on various things at a time. Practice exercises like the 1-2-3-4 thing. Learn songs. Also I would recommend getting one of those beginner "method" books like Hal Leonard. They are only somewhat fun but can give a solid foundation for guitar. Try to have a buffet of things to learn so you never get sick of just doing one thing.
86% of the people who frequent the "Electric Guitar" forum would say that they have played guitar for under 5 years.
Quote by Panthers89Fan90
Uh bro, there NO LESS than $20 a week anywhere. Actually, $20 is on the inexpensive side.

I could get guitar lessons for £15 a week :P But only cos the dude who does is isnt a professional or w/e. Anyway, If you really want to improve your guitaring, learn Major chords, there essential, then move on to general guitar techniques such as slides, legato, alternate picking and Barre chords. If you REALLY have to learn a song right now, then I'd go for something simple like Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit or Enter Sandman by Metallica...
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Right, it sounds like you want to play but the learning bit is a bit of a pain. You need some general structure to your sessions but you also need a little something to see or feel like you’re improving.
Pick two or three scales, involving all fingers and play them to death, throw in a couple of bends and hammer and pull-off’s. I sometimes just sit about watching TV with my guitar (not plugged in) and play scales non-stop. ALWAYS finish off with a smile on your face, like nailing a (simple) riff.

Have fun whilst doing it, have a couple of beers once a week while playing too.

Some easy and rewarding songs:
U2 – I will follow (so simple, first song I could play – I totally love U2)
Nirvana – Smells like Teen Spirit
Nirvana – Come as you are
Sandman (as mentioned above)
Smoke on the Water.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
Hey man I just started too and I get what you mean. I have the Hal Leonard books 1-3 and I go over them like an half an hour to an hour a day then I move on to a song I want to learn and play it until I gotta go or something ya know. Once I finish the Hal Leonard books I'm gonna get more into theory, there are alot of things on UG for it under the lessons. I've already printed alot of them out. These forums also help alot with little tidbits of help.

I'm only like 2-3 weeks into but I've got done like 4 songs and working on "Carry on my Wayward Son" by Kansas right now. It's hard but I find the harder the song is the more rewarding it is to me when I get a part of it done.

The more time and attention you put into guitar the more you will get in return.

Good luck bro......
I would recommend subscribing to Guitartricks.com and say **** the lessons. Guitartricks is $15 a month and has video lessons that range from VERY beginning to advanced.
"Ignorance runs rampant through this virus we call life, dead one day, alive the next, never breaking a stride. As I take it all in and realize, nothing we do can stop it, I release the hatred from my eyes, only to feel it within."
My guitar teacher charges about 10 pound a week but he trys to teach me some songs and some theory which i think is good since it keeps you interested
Quote by Panthers89Fan90
Uh bro, there NO LESS than $20 a week anywhere. Actually, $20 is on the inexpensive side.

That's what my lessons cost. I' my town there's this music store that does 75 for an hour and I'm like wtf?

D H
This works for almost any situation....

Quote by PaulyVengeance
Punch it. Punch it until it goes away.
Lessons are a waste of money imo, had 2 lessons and the teacher just patronised me and put me down the whole time. I ended up putting the guitar down for several months 'coz of him...

I now learn theory from lessons on t'internet (mainly here), and work out techniques by watching people using them in songs. Often results in you having your own way of doing things, that works for you, as compared to "just doing it" because the teacher said so.
My lessons are 14 bucks for a 30 minutes lesson. I'd say stick with it man, whatever he's teaching you has to be important in some way shape or form. When I first started taking lessons I thought that learning to read music was a waste of time, but it ended up being pretty beneficial...
I don't think Caleb is really interested in how much you guys pay for lessons.

Dude continue the lessons. They will pay off in spades before too long. Best thing to do is to find somebody to jam a little with. Get them to show you a few simple songs to play. Continue with the lessons and practice what your teacher shows you. After a bit of time when you are presented with a new song you'll be able to master it with relative ease. After a little more time you will hear the song and understand how to play it with out anybody showing you any thing. Because you will have a grasp of structure. And yes it takes some time but if you are willing to put in some effort you will get there.

And btw none of us are ever as good as we want to be. Don't let that frustrate you. Allow it to motivate you.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Lessons are good in the beginning because the instructor can show you proper technique etc. But if you don't have time to practice what he/she shows you, then they are a waste of your money.
if i'm not mistaken, Jimi Hendrix never took a lesson in his life...
AROUND THE WORLD

Click here if you like the Washington Wizards
Quote by Yeti60
if i'm not mistaken, Jimi Hendrix never took a lesson in his life...

If i'm not mistaken, there aren't to many jimi's in our world.

he's a god.
okay really lessons are good but nothing earns you more respect than being a self taught guitarist. Self teaching shows you have the drive and passion to play guitar. Personaly I've noticed self taught guiatrists are better and learn quicker than a guitarist whom was told where and what to fret and play by an instructer. Also there is a plethera of lessons and theiorys. What I'm getting at is an instructer is comanding you to learn some type of theiory or lesson like a school teacher and how many of us hate or hated teachers.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
With a teacher, it seems like a chore, almost like school. Being self taught is better, in my opinion. But a teacher would really help correct your faults. Although around here they always cost too much, so I've never gone for any lessons.
Quote by Unherolike
okay really lessons are good but nothing earns you more respect than being a self taught guitarist. Self teaching shows you have the drive and passion to play guitar. Personaly I've noticed self taught guiatrists are better and learn quicker than a guitarist whom was told where and what to fret and play by an instructer. Also there is a plethera of lessons and theiorys. What I'm getting at is an instructer is comanding you to learn some type of theiory or lesson like a school teacher and how many of us hate or hated teachers.

lrn2spell.

Plenty of people are better off with a teacher than self taught. I know if I didn't have a teacher I would never have been at the level I am today. It doesn't matter to me whether the guitarist I'm playing with is self taught or not, if they can play the song right and come up with their own lines, who cares? And on the teacher thing, what if you didn't have an education? So what if you hate your teacher. They help you. What kinda job do you think you can get without knowing basic math or being able to read?

TS: divide your time between learning songs and doing exercises. The exercises help your technique, and songs make it fun. Also, try to pick a song and learn it all the way through.
Check out some bands that dont have music that is that complicated..

Offspring
Greenday
Audioslave - rhythms can be cool..but they have really advanced solo tekniks...
TOOL- masters of rhythm..not very complicated..however some of the most
difficult effect schemes imaginable..

Jimi Hendrix- Hendrix? Yeah..hendrix had some simple songs that rocked...
a large portion of his catalogue was built with the
pentatonic system and embellishing chords with tiny
licks...blessing and a curse..he also has some of the
most difficult songs to learn based on simple structure.

Various Blues- many blues artists played simple songs that rocked! Dont think
about Stevie Ray Vaughn tho. I learned over half of *Texas Flood*
then i saw a live video ..only to learn that even after I mastered it
it wouldnt mean $#!t. I had to play it all behind my back as well!! (no lie)

Lots of Metal artists have simple riffs that will build chops and confidence...

Black Label Society has some really simple riffs that rock..and they also have some
really difficult things to learn as well. (excluding Zakk's Speedy Gonzalez solos)

Listen to the radio and find bands that have power chord driven rhythms...learn that
stuff.

Practice your scales as much as you can. Dont worry about the practicing not going
anywhere. After about a year of practicing your scales as much as u can..you will
have built some pretty okay chops. Learning solos will come easy. Most of our
commercial music's solos fit nicely into the Blues Scale.

I can personally speak from experience. I have been practicing shredding for 2 years now.
I practice about 2-3 hours a day. My goal was to simply be able to play a solo at a live gig
for 5 mins without it getting boring. After my 2 years of practice....I have a ways to go..
but I can play intensely enough to keep the attention of the crowd if a shredder goes on
before me. I know that may make me sound like an asshole...but anybody on this site that
was a lead guitarist without chops that had to go on stage after somebody completely tore the walls down will tell you that it will change your life...lol
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett
If you aren't getting enjoyment out of it, then by all means learn a song you like. At the top of this forum there's a link to "the beginner's song program" that'll have a ton of song suggestions.

Lessons aren't designed to learn songs. He's teaching you exercises that will develop your hands and mind so you can do with the instrument what you want. If you're bored, mention it to your teacher and he'll probably show you a song that uses what you've been working on. Remember, you're paying him to teach you what you want to learn, but at the same time if you want to get better, have some faith in his method; odds are he's wayyy more experienced then you are. $20 a week is a pretty fair price for lessons, you won't find much cheaper.

Be paitent. You're still a young pup as guitar is concerned. Wait until you've been at it for a couple of years, you'll understand why he's teaching you what he is right now. Also, bear in mind that you won't see any prominate results for a while yet. Guitar is a demanding mistress, you'll get out of it exactly what you put in. If you want to get better, devote yourself to it, but don't make it a chore. It's called 'playing' guitar for a reason, finding enjoyment in it is the most important thing. Don't play because you want to get better, play because you love to play.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
well i dont know much, but just practice and stick with it. if you meet some people to play with, that can be a huge encouragement. if you just started, you should practice with exercises just to increase dexterity. but the most important thing is motivation, and if the teacher isnt teaching you ****, tell him what you want to learn.
JUSTINGUITAR.com

and just follow his lessons
no joke
and he has youtube vids to help

the mans awesome
Taylor 314CE
Modulus G2T and G3CT
3 Warmoth Guitars
2 Fender MIA Strats--SRV & JM
Alvarez w/ Modulus Neck and EMG DG-20s
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50 w/ 1960a cab
Breedlove AC250/SM12
Gold Tone Weissenborn
Adrenalinn III & FCB1010
ALOT of pedals
My giuitar lessons are free cuz the dude is from my church. He Shreds on Guitar....Learning the guitar is gonna take lots of practuce and determination