So I've been using Fl Studio demo to make some pretty good songs, but I've always had the same problem. Compared to someone like Henry Homesweet! or Aqua Nintendo my songs sound quiet and like they are lacking something in terms of sound quality. I use a lot of stuff and spend a lot of time on them but it always sounds weak. The song isnt weak, but the audio is. How do professionals make there songs like this?

and here is some of my songs so you can hear them and tell me what you think it needs to sound loud and powerful.

http://www.myspace.com/pressstartmichigan
Last edited by blink182plus44 at Jul 2, 2008,
no prob, if you have any more trouble make sure you come back and ask.

im pretty green to the recording/mixing game myself but moody or someone else will no doubt help.
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

I have another question. I want to post a link to the myspace with my songs in the original recordings forum, but is that alright? do they only allow songs that are actually recorded with real instruments and stuff? or would it be ok? cause they are techno and not exactly recorded, more like rendered.

edit: thank you, to the person above me, but it seems to me they are not, i'm not sure what it is about them but it just doesn't seem good enough.

edit: Oh I should probably just do it in the promote your band section. duh.
Quote by blink182plus44
I have another question. I want to post a link to the myspace with my songs in the original recordings forum, but is that alright? do they only allow songs that are actually recorded with real instruments and stuff? or would it be ok? cause they are techno and not exactly recorded, more like rendered.

edit: thank you, to the person above me, but it seems to me they are not, i'm not sure what it is about them but it just doesn't seem good enough.

as long as the song is yours you can post it.

if you bang some saucepans and mix two people arguing into a song, you can post it too extreme example but you get the point.

Can you go into detail as to what youre not happy with? I listened to both and I think the second song lacked a bit of dynamo because the kick drum is very weak and low in the mix. But you may have done this intentionally??
<*ELECTRO*>
XXXXX
XXXXX

well thats part of the problem, I can't seem to get the kick drums to be strong, I add some equalizer and stuff but it doesn't get that bass feeling. Overall the songs seem quiet, even if i turn the volume up. It might just be cause I made them so I assume they suck but I don't think so.

edit: I think the problem is I can't seem to get enough bass to get that feeling, ya know what I mean?
Get your hands on a copy of reason 4, the initial samples are much better quality than FL Studio, and then you can add effects to it. Your tracks need reverb and compression, as well as much better samples. Reason has a great compressor, the reverb is pretty decent too, its not studio quality but its really versatile and manipulatable.
use a compressor on the kick.
Bored2death wrote:

i agree that mcrs music is more creative. an example of this would be the part in im not okay where everything is quiet and gerard says hes okay
you need better samples and plugs, also a lot of pros use a good bit of high end hardware too. Mastering is important too.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
http://www.freesound.org/

You have to sign up but they have a crazy abundant selection of drum samples, vocal and noise samples to use or cut up, and just different ambient sounds and the like to fuck with.

I too use FL studio, and I've gotten compliments on how my tunes don't sound like FL studio tunes. It's a matter of technique. I always make a point of not using presets on synths the like, not to use the pre-made sequences at all and to try to give it my own kind of sonic imprint, if you will... When you hear a Ghyt Wembpang song, you might not know what's going on but you certainly know it's a Ghyt song.

Kick drums I like to either have a good bit of decay and a sht ton of distortion on it, so you get a powerful attack and that real raunchy buzz going, then bring the level down in the mixer so it doesn't overpower the mix, ala Venetian Snares. Or, I like to have a good solid thump and not a lot of decay on it. Think a good solid sounding death metal or grind type of sound. I also take a lot of tonal inspiration from Danny Carey of Tool, his kicks are fucking godly, absolutely bonzer.

A lot of people boost like, the 100HZ range and around there for a kick drum and it just sounds shit. This is something very prevalent particularly in rap and hiphop. It's very wrong. You should be more into the 400hz-800hz or so range, the actual bass rather than the sub bass. Experiment, try to keep it from getting all flubby in the low end.
Also, try not to have too much going on it any one range, and this is something prevalent across the whole mix and not just the bass range. Like if you have a really powerful kick sound, don't try to but a fat bass line behind it, you'll only muddy it up. Likewise if you have a strong bass line, use the kick to accent it, don't try to have them compete as it were.

I make some pretty good stuff with not a whole lot more than the default FL studio sounds and plugins, the thing is I experiment a lot and find ways to make it sound fresh, and not like I clicked up some presets, programmed a hasty melody over it and loaded it with cliché samples.

Also: most fans of electronic music hate 'techno,' it's like the shitty pop-punk of the electronic music world, the sappy light radio stuff. You'd be better off saying electronica. It's generally a more respected term in electronic circles.

Anyway, just try to experiment and be original. You've done a pretty good job as it is, try to expand on that and build a unique sound. And if you ever want to collaborate on a tune or two send me a message, I've been meaning to try and get some experience working with others on an electronic oriented project.
Last edited by Wonthefu at Jul 3, 2008,