When CBS bought out Fender, did they're products became shoddy? Would a Silverface amp , aside from cosmetics, be worse than a Blackface one? Were guitars worse quality, too?
Quote by chip46
"I'm discontinuing production on the Timmy now as well. It might come back into production at some point down the road, but probably not because people will just clone it anyway cause they're stupid jerk face doo doo heads. -Paul C."
the guitars definitely did for a time there in the 80's i think. not to sure about specifics on amps. Someone in GG&A may know more.

this is a pretty cool site if you have not seen it that may hold some clues.

http://www.ampwares.com/ffg/
Oh I didnt know they got bought by someone else, could someone maybe tell me a little info about it?
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
I believe it was 1969 (or another year in the late '60s) when Leo sold Fender to CBS, but stayed on as a consultant. The quality of the guitars didn't drop much until the 80s, when financial cutbacks meant lesser quality. The silverface amps are still awesome nonetheless. The only reason, IIRC, that the blackface amps are more expensive and sought after is because they're older.
Epiphone Dot
DIY Esquire w/Neovin Power Rock pickup
Vox AC30VR 212
Arion MTE-1 (LED clipping diodes added)
Vox Tonelab LE
Roland SDE1000 delay

Quote by DaMarsbarPerson
By high-gain I don't mean stupid stuff. I just mean styles like Motley Crue or Iron Maiden
thanks
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender American 52 Telecaster RI
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Tanglewood Acoustic
Fender F-80-12
Various Pedals
Orange Rockerverb 50 Head
Orange Cabinets
EDIT: MortifiedLizard is more correct. A book I have called Electric Guitar Encylopedia by Tony Bacon does site the date of January 1965. The date below was when some Fender execs as noted bought from CBS (which was a GOOD thing)....I forgot to add this part in.

from site i listed above:

The Fullerton, CA production complex is closed.
A group of Fender executives and distributors led by Bill Schultz purchase Fender Musical Instruments from CBS for $12.5 million dollars.
The new company name Fender Musical Instruments Co. moves into offices in Brea, CA.
Bill Huhgs of Ampeg hired to head amplifier R&D.

from fender.com

The FMIC family has grown to include many distinctive musical instrument brands, including Fender®, Squier®, Guild®, Gretsch®, Jackson®, Charvel®, SWR®, Tacoma®, Olympia® and Orpheum®.

oh and the new EVH 5150III (prolly best amp out there right now)
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 2, 2008,