hey guys
knowing the infinite wisdom and knowledge of this wonderful site, i was hoping a slightly noobish related question can be answered.
For one, i wish to become a better blues guitarist. And i already know the really boring I-IV-V shuffle, or if i have the name wrong, this thing:
A 2242224222422242 D 2224222422242224
E 0000000000000000 and then: A 0000000000000000 and so on and so forth.

yea, I already know this. i wish to learn chords like this man:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKwvLglmOfY

see how he slides up and then does a little improv?
hers another one, john mayer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sPmTgPvx28
I would love to be able to play in these styles.

thanks for all the help you guys have gaven me so far
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute
SX stratocaster
MIA Fender Stratocaster
Vox AD50 Vox AC15C1 Vox AC30CC2X Laney LH50r
Guitar>Joe Bonamossa Crybaby > AquaPuss> Sparkle Drive> Green Rhino> DejaVibe> Amplifier
CROWN VIC
just look at tabs and or chord charts (not beginner-intermediate ones, but advanced ones)

all he's doing is taking one chord and moving it up and down the neck, while throwing in minor/major pentatonic patterns.
That is still a standard 12-bar progression, it's just that he's only using chords which have the 2, 5 and b7 of the chord he's supposed to be playing and sliding that shape around in a way which sounds musical, usually 2 steps up and back or in a chromatic movement down from 2 steps above, the guy has obviously been playing for years so don't expect that sort of thing to come too quickly but once you get the basic idea it shouldn't be too difficult to work up to that kind of thing. This is the chord shape he's using as far as I can figure it:

e|---
b|-9-
g|-8-
d|-9-
a|---
e|---

That's it in C#, the key he's working in, so try playing along with what he's doing and you should pick it up quickly.

As for the fills he's using mainly pentatonics (both kinds but leaning on the minor) and using a lot of chromatic passing tones to give it a more jazz/blues feel rather than a standard "look at my pentatonics" sound.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
ok thanks. ill try that out.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio 60's Tribute
SX stratocaster
MIA Fender Stratocaster
Vox AD50 Vox AC15C1 Vox AC30CC2X Laney LH50r
Guitar>Joe Bonamossa Crybaby > AquaPuss> Sparkle Drive> Green Rhino> DejaVibe> Amplifier
CROWN VIC
sorry i'm at work and so not really able to check out the link u posted , but some nice chords to try with blues to spice up your boring I IV V progressions are extensions of the dominant 7th

eg 9ths, 11ths and 13ths. You dont need to play the whole chord either, like Zaphod said , part chords where u leave out the root and just experiment with 2 and 3 note combinations of the 3rd 5th, b7th, 9th etc. Let the bass player worry about the root
^+1
For as simplistic as the blues is in theory, there is a lot of stuff that can be done to 'spice it up'. Something as simple as strumming patterns can really enhance the boring I-iv-v pattern. Something I read a lot on here is the: "I already know this that and the other, what next?" I am all for people trying to master theory and new techniques (I do it as well), but just because a song is 3 chord or its only a pent. lead doesn't mean you can't find something interesting in it. Everybody plays a little different (were not robots) and how you might do a trill or put together a few intervals can make YOUR sound. B.B. King is famous for his vibrato which he did to try and copy a slide players sound without playin slide.
Gibson ES335
Ibanez RG370DXGP
Ibanez SA Series
Fender Acoustic
Marshall JCM800 1-12 split channel