are the celestion G12H30's suppose to be quiet speakers?

i replaced the blue marvel in my C30 with one and the volume has dropped considerably (which is a shame because i love the new tone)

before i was getting loud with my guitar volume on 3 with the amp on 3 as well. now, to get the same volume, i need my guitar on 10 and my amp on at least 6.

its just bugging me because loud cleans are basically non-existent for me now (i get overdrive at 4).

here are the speaker specs if those will help

Blue Marvel:
* Power capacity: 300 W Peak, 150 W Program, 75 W Continuous
* Sensitivity: 96.3 dB 1 Watt / 1 meter
* Usable frequency range: 70 Hz to 6.5 kHz

G12H30:
Power Rating 30W
Sensitivity 100dB
Frequency range 75-5000Hz
Resonance frequency, Fs 85Hz
Quote by gnomieowns
well it seems that the blue marvel has a much higher wattage level so is that it?

that shouldn't affect anything but the breakup point... did you match the ohms? if your amps 8 ohms, your speakers gotta be 8 too...

maybe check your connections too?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
yep. theyre both 16 ohms. and the connections seem alright (though i might have jostled it a bit when i reattached the chassis but i that shouldnt have done to much). the sound is hum-free and clear, it just doesnt have the same volume
Quote by corbn89
yep. theyre both 16 ohms. and the connections seem alright (though i might have jostled it a bit when i reattached the chassis but i that shouldnt have done to much). the sound is hum-free and clear, it just doesnt have the same volume

the connections would mess with the sound, not just the volume so it's not that... maybe defective speaker? where'd you get it?
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
its a hellatone 30 from avatar speakers (broken in G12H30)

but yeah, i think i just need to find someone who has swapped these into their cab and see if they noticed a big difference.

i doubt the thing could get over a loud drummer as it is now
okay problem fixed....somehow.

i rearranged the powertubes (for like the 3rd time), jingled and reconnected speaker wires for like the 5th time, but this time plugged it into a outlet somewhere else in the house and lo and behold massive pourings of sweet tone.

but yeah, before i couldnt even get tube rattle but now im shaking furniture across the room.

but could it really have been a power supply thing?
Quote by corbn89
okay problem fixed....somehow.

i rearranged the powertubes (for like the 3rd time), jingled and reconnected speaker wires for like the 5th time, but this time plugged it into a outlet somewhere else in the house and lo and behold massive pourings of sweet tone.

but yeah, before i couldnt even get tube rattle but now im shaking furniture across the room.

but could it really have been a power supply thing?

go try it in the original socket again? you might have just reconnected something that was loose
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
yep. i plugged it into the original and it got all quiet again. then plugged it into a different plug and it got loud.

looks like i wont be playing at that spot anymore. shame it was right next to the couch (no more comfortyness i guess)
The G12H is basically one of the loudest speakers for guitar you can get. Look at the sensitivity, 3.7dB more than the Blue Marvel. The volume difference would be as if it was a 50w amp through the Blue Marvel, when using the new G12H, as compared to the 30w original through the Blue Marvel.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
I know nothing about speakers, so this is a shot in the dark.
But i heard new speakers need breaking in, would this perhaps account for the volume loss?
My stuff:
Fender Tele 60's Reissue
Schecter Blackhawk
Vintage V300 acoustic
Yamaha RB170 Bass

Peavey Classic 30 amp

Boss SD-1, DOD Grunge, Guyatone PS-010 Compressor, Marshall SV-1, Vox V847, Zoom G2, Line6 Echo Park