My school assigned us a summer reading project (Yay) that I think I should start doing. I need a book that is 200 pages or more that isn't a movie. I've yet to really find anything. I don't mind the genre of the book but I love books that make you think about the plot and books that share the idea of 1984. (I would do the project on that but its on our County Reading List.)
Last edited by The_Paranoia at Jul 2, 2008,
Quote by The_Paranoia
I love books that make you think about the plot and books that share the idea of 1985.

is that a sequel? tell me about it
Living is easy with eyes closed...
--------------------------

Quote by GnR_ROK
I'm surprised you returned to this thread after cheeseman owned you.
Quote by cheeseman3001
is that a sequel? tell me about it

Sorry, my sister was playing that song a few minuets ago.

Quote by exect4500
go to the library?

I'm going there tomorrow.
How can you have trouble finding a book over 200 pages? I'm surprised anything under that amount is considered a book, except, "The Very Hungry Caterpillar", that's the best book ever.

Give Ayn Rand - Atlus Shrugged a read.
Lyrics, just breaks between killer solos.
Quote by Cathedral
How can you have trouble finding a book over 200 pages? I'm surprised anything under that amount is considered a book, except, "The Very Hungry Caterpillar", that's the best book ever.

Give Ayn Rand - Atlus Shrugged a read.

Its not the 200 pages. 200 pages is like a bed time book for me. Its the fact that the book can't be a movie or on my school's reading list.
On a Pale Horse, by Piers Anthony.
PRS SE SC ♦ Dean Cadi ♦ Squier Strat ♦ Crate V5 ♦ AXL Akita AT30 ♦ Alhambra 4P ♦ Takamine f-349 ♦ Goodall KCJ
Boss ME-20 ♦ Monteallums modded TS9DX ♦ DOD Grunge ♦ #1Echo ♦
It sounds like you would really enjoy Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. It has a futuristic utopian setup similar to that of 1984, and it's every bit as good.
Quote by leondb
On a Pale Horse, by Piers Anthony.

That actually looks really cool. I love the topic of death and the after life.

Quote by hardrock1315
It sounds like you would LOVE Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. It has a futuristic utopian setup similar to that of 1984, and it's every bit as good.

My friend just finished reading it and said it was AMAZING. But the book is on our school's reading list so I cant do the report on it. But I'm defiantly going to read it once I finish the report.
Catch-22 is entertaining and well more than 200 pages, but it's rather popular and I wouldn't be surprised if another student is doing their project on it (if two students doing the same book is allowed, definitely do this one).

e: Never mind, Catch-22 is a movie, though an old one.

House of Leaves is a good book but it could be hard to do a report on it.

Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut may be 200 pages, and it's awesome as well as report-worthy.
Last edited by self-made_page at Jul 3, 2008,
Quote by self-made_page
Catch-22 is entertaining and well more than 200 pages, but it's rather popular and I wouldn't be surprised if another student is doing their project on it (if two students doing the same book is allowed, definitely do this one).

e: Never mind, Catch-22 is a movie, though an old one.

House of Leaves is a good book but it could be hard to do a report on it.

Galapagos by Kurt Vonnegut may be 200 pages, and it's awesome as well as report-worthy.

House Of Leaves was my first choice to do the report on, then I saw what I actually have to do.

Its not a book report, its like a 3rd grade assignment. Get a container or bag and decorate it with things that represent themes and parts of the book. Then with note cards write a summary and some other small assignments.
Quote by The_Paranoia
Its not the 200 pages. 200 pages is like a bed time book for me. Its the fact that the book can't be a movie or on my school's reading list.

on the road by kerouac
seems like itd be easy and it's actually enjoyable so thats a plus
Quote by The_Paranoia
House Of Leaves was my first choice to do the report on, then I saw what I actually have to do.

Its not a book report, its like a 3rd grade assignment. Get a container or bag and decorate it with things that represent themes and parts of the book. Then with note cards write a summary and some other small assignments.

Well then it should be a piece of cake as there is a collage of things that represent the book on the inside cover.
Quote by self-made_page
Well then it should be a piece of cake as there is a collage of things that represent the book on the inside cover.

That is true. Though I would have to read the book again, as it is a pretty confusing book.
Quote by hardrock1315
It sounds like you would really enjoy Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. It has a futuristic utopian setup similar to that of 1984, and it's every bit as good.

A Brave New World is a horridly perverted and depressing book.

I understand the point of it, but every damn word in it depresses me that much more.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
TS, please read Rant by Palahniuk. He may seem like a cliched author or whatever but this book is very good.
Quote by Cathedral
"The Very Hungry Caterpillar", that's the best book ever.

That book was the best! I remember in primary school my class had to do that as a play, and i was the very hungry caterpillar. Good times.

But to TS read the first Alexander book, by Valerio massimo manfredi, that was an awsome series.
Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

Similar to 1984 and Brave New World but its my favouite because its scary as to how accurately it describes modern society.
Quote by dragon77
Player Piano by Kurt Vonnegut

Yes. Read Player Piano. If you liked 1984, you'll appreciate it.

Also, I haven't started it yet (it just came in through ILL), but the idea of Max Barry's Jennifer Government sounds really interesting. It's like an antithesis to 1984, depicting a government with too little power rather than too much.

I would also recommend Fahrenheit 451, and perhaps Brave New World to a lesser extent.
Crime and punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevski (any of his work)
Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde
Treasure Island is a fun read, but I'm not sure if it's a movie or not.
Call me Jack
Quote by srv_king
Treasure Island is a fun read, but I'm not sure if it's a movie or not.

It has some older movie variations (I think Long John gave pirate-related pop culture the famous "Arrr" in one of them), plus Muppet Treasure Island and Treasure Planet. I did love the book, though.