Hey guys, i'm making a studio in my attic this summer. So what do i need to be able to record? i'm not talking about plugging my guitar in my computer, i want to actually have gear. Thanks
Gear
Epi Les Paul
Fender Monterey Replica
Line 6 Spider 2
Fulltone Fulldrive 2
Vox wah pedal
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Equalizer

Wanted
Fender Blues Jr.
Line 6 DL4 Delay
anyone??
Gear
Epi Les Paul
Fender Monterey Replica
Line 6 Spider 2
Fulltone Fulldrive 2
Vox wah pedal
Boss Blues Driver
Boss Equalizer

Wanted
Fender Blues Jr.
Line 6 DL4 Delay
You do or don't want to use that Spider?

You may be best served with a one or two track interface, USB or Firewire. M Audio's Fasttrack, Art's Dual Pre, Presonus 1394 Inspire, and Mackie's Onyx are all good choices. I recommend getting that and an SM57 if you want to mic your amp.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Well you're going to need a few things....

You'll need an audio interface. Make sure it is a firewire interface, which is MUCH superior to it's USB counterpart, in my opinion. Your computer will have to have a firewire input for this to work. Pretty much all newer computers do. Also make sure that the interface has something called "Phantom Power", and if you want to record drums, make sure it has AT LEAST 4 mic inputs. This'll probrably run you $300-$500, depending on the number of mic inputs. My interface has 2 inputs, and it cost me $250. It works great.

Then, you'll need mics. If you want to record drums, be prepared to spend A LOT of money on mics. Don't ask me what drum mics to buy, because I don't record drums and I have no fecking clue. If you're not going to record drums, you should buy a Shure SM57 for $100 for recording electric guitar and and MXL 990/991 package, also $100, if you want to record vocals and /or acoustic guitar.

You'll also need a computer program for mixing/editing/recording. You COULD download Audacity for free, but it's an unintuitive piece of **** if you ask me. I use a program called Sequel. Sequel comes with tons of audio loops and midi instruments so you can pretty much do drums, keyboards, and anything else from your computer without even knowing how to play them. Plus, the program is EXTREMELY user-friendly and easy to use, but keep in mind that it's not perfect, and the software has it's share of bugs. It only costs $100 and it does the job, but you would be much better off spending more money on something like Cakewalk Sonar Producer edition, or you could get the studio edition, which is cheaper.

Last, you MIGHT want to buy a midi keyboard. If you play keyboard and want to actually record YOURSELF playing keyboard parts, you'll need one of these. But most recording programs have a way of manually putting in midi notes, such as drawing them on a grid. Sequel has this. Midi keyboards widely very in prices ad quality, and I know very little about them, so if you want to buy a midi keyboard, ask someone else. Mine was $160, which is relatively cheap, but it's also relatively a huge piece of ****.

After all this, MAKE SURE to get cables/stands/other accessories you might need. It'd be pretty embarrasing to spend all that money and not be able to use any of your gear because you overlooked something dumb like a stand.

This might not help at all, depending on your price range. But if you want to get decent quality sound, you're going to want to get most of the stuff I mentioned. I own pretty much everything mentioned above, and I can get pretty dang close to studio quality sound with it. Good luck..... the road to recording is a long and expensive journey.
I'm a person.
Last edited by PinkIsCool at Jul 3, 2008,
Quote by zaffie8808
Can someone tell me what a mixer does? And i was think about this for recording...
http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-DP-02CF-Digital-Portastudio-104797642-i1380740.gc

A mixer takes a ton of inputs, usually microphone, and mixes it down to a stereo output. You have some control of EQ and cue mixes, but it's bad when you have a computer as you lose the ability to pan or change levels after you're done with it (unless it's a Firewire mixer). It's a misconception around these forums that a mixer is necessary to record.

If you have a computer, you don't need a portable recording mixer, as you'll be spending too much and you'll sacrifice control in post production.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101
Yeah, you defenitely DON'T need a mixer to record. In my opinion, you're better off with an interface/computer, but that's just me.
I'm a person.