so i am wanting to buy a strat and replace the pick ups. but what iw as wondering was if i got a mexi strat body and put american neck and hardware on it, how much difference would it actually make?
in my opinion if you're gonna be doing that, you're better off to get a real american, unless thats what you have your mind set on
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Its recommendable to not do that to optimize sound. The best neck for your guitar is the one it comes stock with, and American made Fenders are handled much better and are made with better wood.

However, an option you could go with is to buy a strat body from Fender, (you could probably get it from guitar center, or online) the neck, pickups and the pick-guard all separately if you chose.

I think the best option is to go with an American Fender, but all options arent bad, just some are better than others.
I say get the mexican strat. The mexican strat has a thicker neck with less frets but if you don't mind thick necks and your don't need 22 frets then the mexican strat will give you better tone after you swap pickups. The reason for this is that the thick neck on the mexican strat doesn't vibrate and dampen tone as much as a thin neck would. That means you get better note separation and more sustain from the mexican strat.

There is nothing wrong with the hardware on the mexican strat either so go ahead and keep all that. Just swap the electronics. Including the pots! because that is where they really ruin the guitar. Many Mexin strats also have very poor setups. If yours has a poor setup then take it to a luthiers are for a few buck he will help you adjust the, action, and pickup hight. You can do all this and still spend less than half of what an American strat would cost stock.

If your point of getting an American strat was for the neck then just get the American. By putting an American strat neck on a mexican guitar you will end up making the guitar cost just as much as an American anyway and you lose the 1 thing that made the tone of the mexican guitar better. In addition mixing and matching parts will lower the resale value. Not that you are ever going to sell your guitar, but it's nice to know that you could get a good amount of money for it if you ever did.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jul 3, 2008,
A Mexican has 21 frets and the American has 22 and the American is much better quality made and hardware.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Quote by X&Y
Its recommendable to not do that to optimize sound. The best neck for your guitar is the one it comes stock with, and American made Fenders are handled much better and are made with better wood.

However, an option you could go with is to buy a strat body from Fender, (you could probably get it from guitar center, or online) the neck, pickups and the pick-guard all separately if you chose.

I think the best option is to go with an American Fender, but all options arent bad, just some are better than others.

From what I was told 15 years ago in L.A. by a Fender rep was that Mexican Strats are from American parts and wood, but assembled in Mexico because its alot cheaper labor. Was he bull ****ting me? Either way, I play guitar for a living and my Mexi Strat is one of my favorites ever that I own and I own quite alot of guitars. Also this guitar is the cheapest one as far as price goes that I own.
i have no complaints with my mexican tele. the neck is thicker than my buddys american strat, and the body is 4 pieces of ash instead of one or 2, other than that, great action, never goes out of tune, honestly cant tell the quality(sounds different because of the tele vs strat sound) differences between the 2 other than mine being a 4 piece body and his neck as a ton more finish on it than mine
Also the neck pocket sizes are smaller for the mexi strats I'm pretty sure.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

Quote by KISSguitarist
A Mexican has 21 frets and the American has 22 and the American is much better quality made and hardware.

With respect, I must correct you; The American Standard has 21 frets. The American Deluxe has 22 frets. The Mexican Standard has the same parts as the American.
It's a myth that Americans put more effort into an assembly line than a Mexican Assembly line. These are not hand made guitars. The quality is unnoticeable comparing Standards. I have many guitars including American and Mexican Fenders.
the only difference i see is that the mexican has a six-screw trem, while the american has a two point. personally, id still buy the american just cause im sick of my Gibson being the only thing in my whole house that still reads "made in the USA". and i like the two point trem better.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
Quote by Dreamality
With respect, I must correct you; The American Standard has 21 frets. The American Deluxe has 22 frets.

Now that's interesting - the Sienna sunburst maple 'board appears to have 21 frets - but all the other colours have 22 (including Sienna sunburst with a rosewood 'board)- going by the pics on the Fender site.

As far as I'm concerned there's a definite difference between MIM and MIA standards. It's not a night and day difference - but a MIA is superior.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
get a used american fender

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by pEdAl2
Now that's interesting - the Sienna sunburst maple 'board appears to have 21 frets - but all the other colours have 22 (including Sienna sunburst with a rosewood 'board)- going by the pics on the Fender site.

As far as I'm concerned there's a definite difference between MIM and MIA standards. It's not a night and day difference - but a MIA is superior.

I'd love to debate with you, but I will not argue with opinions. Your welcome to show some concrete facts to support your theory...

Fact 1. Parts made in the same country, but assembled in another factory with a reputation not as bloated as American hype doesn't mean anything less than marketing strereotyping. Of coarse Americans get paid more than Mexicans in Mexico, so they have to sell the guitars for more money. Add to that the marketing that American Strats hold their monetary value more with collectors because the company is originally from the USA and like I said before, American are brainwashed into thinking that the same product made in America is built better.

Opinion1. I'm American and I feel that's a very arrogant marketing bordering on racist. I'm not directing this to you, I'm making a general statement. Americans invented the car, but dollar for dollar, I'd rather have an Audi A6 than a Ford.
Quote by Dreamality
I'd love to debate with you, but I will not argue with opinions. Your welcome to show some concrete facts to support your theory...

Fact 1. Parts made in the same country, but assembled in another factory with a reputation not as bloated as American hype doesn't mean anything less than marketing strereotyping. Of coarse Americans get paid more than Mexicans in Mexico, so they have to sell the guitars for more money. Add to that the marketing that American Strats hold their monetary value more with collectors because the company is originally from the USA and like I said before, American are brainwashed into thinking that the same product made in America is built better.

Opinion1. I'm American and I feel that's a very arrogant marketing bordering on racist. I'm not directing this to you, I'm making a general statement. Americans invented the car, but dollar for dollar, I'd rather have an Audi A6 than a Ford.

They aren't the same guitar. They aren't the same parts.

They have different qualities of wood (less pieces), different tuners, different pickups, a hand-sanded neck, a different neck, different bridges and some other things I can't think of right now. Also, the Sienna sunburst is damn pretty compared to the brown sunburst on the MIM

Don't get me wrong, MIMs are good (I play one) and maybe the American isn't worth $500 more, but it is still a superior guitar. It's not all about reputation and ego.
Interesting discussion...
I had to call a friend of mine that is a Fender /G&L guru. He said that the Standard from 15 years ago was not any significant difference from the MIA Standard including the wood because Fender doesn't hand pick wood planks one by one unless its for their custom shop. It's shipped by a lumber supplier in truck loads. The bridge on the Mex at that time was a vintage and the USA one was a different design. Nowadays though, the gap is widening with paint options, and non conductive paint in the cavities. a blind person wouldn't be able to tell unless he felt the bridge and counted the screws in some of the pick guards.
Also, I'm not sure about four pieces on all Mex strats. I only see 2 pieces on mine.
Mexican strats are made in Mexico assembled in Mexico by Mexicans.

American strats are made in Mexico, assembled in America by Mexicans.

Japanese strats are made in Japan, assembled in Japan by Japanese.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by AngusJimiKeith
the only difference i see is that the mexican has a six-screw trem, while the american has a two point. personally, id still buy the american just cause im sick of my Gibson being the only thing in my whole house that still reads "made in the USA". and i like the two point trem better.

^ buy some made in USA stickers for your guitar builds

EDIT:
unfortunately, the USA stickers are probably made in china
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Jul 3, 2008,
Quote by Dreamality
Interesting discussion...
I had to call a friend of mine that is a Fender /G&L guru. He said that the Standard from 15 years ago was not any significant difference from the MIA Standard including the wood because Fender doesn't hand pick wood planks one by one unless its for their custom shop. It's shipped by a lumber supplier in truck loads. The bridge on the Mex at that time was a vintage and the USA one was a different design. Nowadays though, the gap is widening with paint options, and non conductive paint in the cavities. a blind person wouldn't be able to tell unless he felt the bridge and counted the screws in some of the pick guards.
Also, I'm not sure about four pieces on all Mex strats. I only see 2 pieces on mine.

Nowadays, a blind person could tell the difference, if that's what you mean. First, 22 frets instead of 21. They also hand sand the sides of the neck to make it feel more worn. The tuners are also staggered in height.

As for the pieces of wood, the MIAs are guaranteed not to be more than 2. Whereas, the MIMs may be 2, maybe 4. Also, the quality of the wood on an MIA is higher. Both alder, but look at the grain on an MIM and compare it to the grain on a MIA sunburst.
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8

EDIT:

the best is that now american flags are made in china...it pisses me off that were too cheap to make our own stuff...

EDIT: and also, the only builds ive done so far have been for other people, so there no longer in my possession. next build is for me tho
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
^ i'm doing all personal builds right now then i'm going to start selling my stuff

how much you get for a typical build?

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by TheProducer
Nowadays, a blind person could tell the difference, if that's what you mean. First, 22 frets instead of 21. They also hand sand the sides of the neck to make it feel more worn. The tuners are also staggered in height.

As for the pieces of wood, the MIAs are guaranteed not to be more than 2. Whereas, the MIMs may be 2, maybe 4. Also, the quality of the wood on an MIA is higher. Both alder, but look at the grain on an MIM and compare it to the grain on a MIA sunburst.

...Check out the American Standard on the website. 21 frets. Quality of wood on American Standards are not higher quality. As a matter of fact all guitar companies use they're best woods for transparent finishes and the not so good looking grain for the painted ones. American Standards have solid paint jobs too.The tuners on Standards as far as I know are not staggered, and on the "Standard" the neck isn't treated that way. There are other models like the Deluxe amongst other that do that. I'm comparing just the Mex and American Standard, nothing else.
Quote by Dreamality
...Check out the American Standard on the website. 21 frets. Quality of wood on American Standards are not higher quality. As a matter of fact all guitar companies use they're best woods for transparent finishes and the not so good looking grain for the painted ones. American Standards have solid paint jobs too.The tuners on Standards as far as I know are not staggered, and on the "Standard" the neck isn't treated that way. There are other models like the Deluxe amongst other that do that. I'm comparing just the Mex and American Standard, nothing else.

Look at the specs before you say I'm wrong:

http://www.fender.com/products//view_specs.php?full_partno=0110400&name=American+Standard+Stratocaster%26reg%3B

Staggered tuners. 22 frets. Also, compare the pics of a Sunburst MIA and a sunburst MIM. Ignoring the color difference with brown vs. sienna, you can't tell me that it's not a nicer piece of wood.
Last edited by TheProducer at Jul 3, 2008,
american vs mexican is pretty hit and miss. there are great mexican made fender instruments out there, but as a whole they are pretty inconsistent. most (if not all) mexicans come with poly finishes which kinda sucks if your a stickler about body resonance.

overall, its probably better to go ahead and get an american right off the bat.

after buying a mexican and a neck and pickups, you'll probably have spent about the same amount had you just bought an american series from the get go.

but having said that, i customized a mexican strat myself and i couldnt be more happy with it. i bought a rundown mexican strat off of craigslist ($150), dropped in a tortoise shell pickguard loaded with fender texas specials ($200). later on i had my local tech customize an all-parts neck to my specs. dunlop 6105 fretwire, rosewood fretboard, chunky c shape, nitro finish, glossy headstock with satin on the back of the neck. the neck ran me about $300. so all in all the guitar cost $650, give or take $50 or so.

my only complaint about it is the poly finish on the body, but i can live with it. other than that, i'd take my franken-strat over most of what american fender has on the market today.
"don't you know there ain't no devil? Its just god when he's drunk"
-tom waits
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
^ i'm doing all personal builds right now then i'm going to start selling my stuff

how much you get for a typical build?

using cheap parts, about 350. for me, thats about $100 profit.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
how many hours do you put into them? 100 bucks seems low...

it is low, but not many 25-year-old guitarists who think they're pro cause they payed a studio $20 and hour to record a s***ty album are willing to pay me (a 15 year old) that much......otherwise id have a tube amp by now......

and i put a good three weeks or more into them, too

EDIT: wow, we hijacked this thread....
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
They stopped asking
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8

EDIT:

hahaha...

I literally bust out laughing when I read that. The best part is the edit.

hmm...I might quote that to my sig, do you mind?

Cheers!
Surf Rock the World

'Shark Bait'
Coming soon.
^ go for it bro... chinese made USA stickers FTW!!!

Quote by Dreamality

I would take a Ford over an Audi any day...
Quote by FRDesign

fail
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by FRDesign

You obviously have different tastes than me and are determined to one up me on purely opinions, so instead of arguing, I'll just walk away from this thread...
Quote by jason_lee_91
so i am wanting to buy a strat and replace the pick ups. but what iw as wondering was if i got a mexi strat body and put american neck and hardware on it, how much difference would it actually make?

Well, I bought a MiM strat and changed the pickups- Absoultely love it. I've sold my les paul because the strat sounds so good. There is no problem with the materials on the guitar.
Quote by Dreamality
You obviously have different tastes than me and are determined to one up me on purely opinions, so instead of arguing, I'll just walk away from this thread...

Hell with opinion, your facts were wrong.
I have a VG and it is advertised as an American Standard with Roland circuitry, and it has 22 frets. Love the silky smoooth neck!

I also at one time owned a '63 Strat and it had 21 frets.