I haven't learned a song from any bands in months. I just write my own songs for myself and my band and am fairly confident with my writing skills. Do you think learning other peoples songs will help me learn more techniques and make me a better writer or do you think it will make me less original?
www.youtube.com/jordan123x
I would maintain a healthy balance. I only play other people's songs, I have a large binder. But playing other people's songs opens you up to other genres, styles of playing, etc etc. I think it would make you better, but don't let it over power your own writing and style of playing.
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

i definately think its good to learn from other songs and then use those techniques in your own writing.
Valveking CLIPS/Gear HERE
It's alway good to gain new techniques, but learning new songs wont necesarily make it less original, just more familiar to listeners, could make a better song, who knows? My opinion, focus on writing your own stuff, but still occasionally learn anothers song, change the scenery, who knows if your constantly writing your own stuff you might get into a pattern and all your work could get repetitive, so shake the cage once and a while
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
I would maintain a healthy balance. I only play other people's songs, I have a large binder. But playing other people's songs opens you up to other genres, styles of playing, etc etc. I think it would make you better, but don't let it over power your own writing and style of playing.

Ha, that makes sense.

Anyhoo, I usually try to go through the music I know and love, figure out why it is that I love it, and try to adapt my playing style to fulfill those needs.
Quote by JMDavis07
Ha, that makes sense.

Anyhoo, I usually try to go through the music I know and love, figure out why it is that I love it, and try to adapt my playing style to fulfill those needs.

Well, what I meant was I don't write any music. I only play other people's music. Unless I'm in the perfect mood, I can't write. So, my suggestion was to make a healthy balance, which is hard for me, but it would make him a better player.
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

Last edited by OzarkMDaredevil at Jul 3, 2008,
Quote by JMDavis07
Ha, that makes sense.

I've always been really good at listening to a style or genre and imitating it. for some reason the characteristics of the genre are easy for me to identify and emulate. With that said I have been able to imrove my technique from playing other peoples music and at the same time the influences of all these genres have allowed me to blend all these charactersitics that make up the genres I listen to and create a sound that is somehow my own.

music is always changing I usually keep that in mind when I write songs so I'm not trying to imitate other bands when I write but I do look to other bands for inspiration when I'm stuck in a song. hope that helps