This hit me last night but i was wondering... when you have the pick up selector in the middle like the 2nd or 4th position is it the same effect as having 1 humbucker? and with all three activated is it like the dual humbucker or am i way off?
you're way off. it simply combines the two that are selected.

and you can't have all 3 on, the middle position is the middle pickup only.
not really imo.

humbuckers have 2 single coils that are physically wound together to provide a fatter sound and cancel the hum associated with doing so.

although the middle position is a sweet place to be and offers it's own tonal characteristics.
Quote by gnomieowns
you're way off. it simply combines the two that are selected.

and you can't have all 3 on, the middle position is the middle pickup only.

Edit: OK I went overboard. gnomieowns is still right and didn't mean to make it out differently.

it depends on the guitar. I think he was saying the 2nd and 4th position on a 5 way. I said middle but I meant 2nd and 4th actually. I spend a lot of time in the 4th slot.

Here is how a Standard Strat shakes out for example:

Position 2. Middle Pickup and Inside Coil of Bridge Humbucking Pickup in Parallel (Lead Tone Control);
Position 3. Middle Pickup (Lead Tone Control);
Position 4. Neck and Middle Pickup in Parallel (Lead and Rhythm Tone Controls);

Why they have the numbers reversed for this guitar I have no idea but I have an HSS which is what this example is of (so technically, i was referring the second pos.)
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Jul 2, 2008,
All I know is that position 4 (combined neck and middle single coils) sounds absolutely nothing like position 1 (bridge humbucker) on my HSS Strat.
true

what i was trying to get at earlier by the way is that there are some guitars where the middle position gives you more than the middle pickup. Like a Deluxe Strat for example with S1 switching. Let me find that.

Here:

S-1 Switch Down:
Position 1. Full Bridge Humbucking Pickup with Coils in Series (Lead Tone Control)
Position 2. Full Bridge Humbucking Pickup with Coils in Series, in Parallel with Neck Pickup (Lead and Rhythm Tone Controls)
Position 3. Full Bridge Humbucking Pickup with Coils in Series, in Parallel with Neck and Middle Pickups that are Paired in Series (Lead and Rhythm Tone Controls)
Position 4. Inside Coil of Bridge Pickup Paired in Series with Neck Pickup, in Parallel with Middle Pickup (Lead and Rhythm Tone Controls)
Position 5. Middle Pickup in Series with Neck Pickup (Rhythm Tone Control)

Crazy stuff. And that is with S1 engaged. Disengage that and you now have 10 different pickup combinations for a total of 10. CRAZY stuff but I want one.
*adds to GAS list*