What are some chords, progressions, and/or scales that will give me a "post-apocalyptic" or "dystopian" sound? I'm talking about minimalistic, dissonant, sorta ambient music... any ideas on chords/scales?

Thanks
well use tritones a lot, they sound real dissonant, and I don't know...just try different minor keys and see what you like best and you can look up diminished chords they're pretty evil sounding.
Fear the Evil Chainsaw Wielding Penguin...
minor 2nds played on adjacent strings.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
further more, no specific chord will just "give" you the sound you're looking for. it's a feel. thus you should also focus on arrangement, rhythm and dynamics of the song as well.

what does dystopian mean to you? chaos? silence? despair? happiness? mania? all of these things will reflect in your songwriting. and don't get caught up just going for the most dissonant sounds possible. dissonance when placed next to consonance only furthers the dissonant qualities of the chord, so i'd say take the above posts as recommendations, think about how you want the song to sound, flick the record button and start playing around. listen. alter. repeat.

good luck.

p.s. open strings sound really manic/dystopian if you're playing higher up on the fretboard.
Quote by sisuphi
further more, no specific chord will just "give" you the sound you're looking for. it's a feel. thus you should also focus on arrangement, rhythm and dynamics of the song as well.

what does dystopian mean to you? chaos? silence? despair? happiness? mania? all of these things will reflect in your songwriting. and don't get caught up just going for the most dissonant sounds possible. dissonance when placed next to consonance only furthers the dissonant qualities of the chord, so i'd say take the above posts as recommendations, think about how you want the song to sound, flick the record button and start playing around. listen. alter. repeat.

good luck.

p.s. open strings sound really manic/dystopian if you're playing higher up on the fretboard.

^ pretty much what he said.

Dystopia = opposite of Utopia. Isn't that where we are now?
Si

Dystopia = opposite of Utopia. Isn't that where we are now?

No, further than that; Orwell's 1984, is a good example of a dystopian society.

I'm betting odd time signatures would help as well.
Call me Batman.
Make it as crazy as possible. Switch tempos, keys, time signatures, and what have you as rapidly as possible. If it's unfamiliar and hard to predict you'll get a good feel for a world that's gone nuts.

Actually, I'd say that would be good for post-apocalyptic. For dystopian (like 1984), you should do something gloomy and boring.
Quote by sisuphi
further more, no specific chord will just "give" you the sound you're looking for.

this
If you're going for a minimalist approach I think one of the best things you could do is employ a standard major scale, but make the timbre and texture of the piece very disturbing, which gives it a sort of Brave New World-esque feel, a dystopian society where everyone's happy.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.