I've found a metal band. Im a drummer by the way. They're kind of in a bad position since they don't have a drummer but they know some songs and apparently they have some originals. I haven't jammed with them yet but what should i do, remember, or just keep in mind the first time I do? Any tips that pissed you off about perspective drummers that made you turn in the other direction? And seeing as I don't play with alot of metally people already what should I stress when playing? Any advice will help.
get a double bass pedal, learn it, they'll love you.

but don't forget your job is to accompany, and not the overpower.
My sig used to be so awesome it got me banned
When they play their original material, have them show you a few riffs (make sure to order them mentally when you learn them) and build on the basic riffs. Also it helps if you are pretty good at double bass, metal guitarists like a drummer that can keep up with their riffs.
well, first of all don't be a retard and spend all of your time playing World of Warcraft, that happened to me once, our drummer spent all of his time in front of his computer until he eventually flunked out (college band, you know how it is) and we pretty much were unable to find a replacement for him and that's all she wrote for that band

second, yeah, double bass pedal, also you might wanna listen to some dream theatre, children of bodom, dio, black sabbath, metallica and slayer, that's pretty much all you need as far as starter metal drumming is concerned
Gear:
Ibanez RG121
Ibanez GTA15R Amp
red Allegro nylon-strung acoustic of unkown model

Quote by Mechanix

We play guitar.... we're automatically on top of the world.

^
Quote by Jastul
well, first of all don't be a retard and spend all of your time playing World of Warcraft, that happened to me once, our drummer spent all of his time in front of his computer until he eventually flunked out (college band, you know how it is) and we pretty much were unable to find a replacement for him and that's all she wrote for that band

second, yeah, double bass pedal, also you might wanna listen to some dream theatre, children of bodom, dio, black sabbath, metallica and slayer, that's pretty much all you need as far as starter metal drumming is concerned

You need Dream Theater for starter metal drumming?
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
thats the exact same as me, exept i was in a band desperatly lookn for a drummer. Our first jam was sweet, having a drummer makes everything easier and better to play. We're more rock but for metal a double bass pedal and lots of cymbles help, you need to be fast!

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
since i'm in a band and we're on the other side of the situation you're in heres my suggestions

have the band play through the song/s they have, pick one song and have them go through it and show you how many times they play each part so you can have a rough idea "ok 2 bars of this, 2 bars of this, 4 bars of this" etc

be open to taking directions about how they think the song should sound. you obviously should have your own influence but be open to other peoples suggestions as well. if they say "we want the bass drum to follow like this and quarter notes on the high hats" at least try it their way and see if you can get what kind of sound they're going for.

try to use "differed similarity" to add things to the song. such as remember how the verse drum beats and chorus drumbeats go, but in each different verse/chorus etc add little things to keep it from sounding exactly the same

we guitarists LOVE accents when we play riffs. i mean we REALLY love them. anything to accent the movement of the piece will win you over.
got nothing else to ad sorry, but whats an accent? =S

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
^ oh noes, hmmm theres lots of types of accents, basically anything that is added to accentuate the guitar riff (or any riff really). say on the 4th beat the guitarist hits the note a little harder or pinch harmonics a note, well on that same note the drummer does something different to add to that, say hit a crash or the snare or something to that effect. easier in application than explanation.
well I already have a double pedal and have had it for a while. Its a pearl powershifte with belt drive and exchangable cams. I'm decent with it but my beats with steady double bass need some work. My tripletes and everything like that, are super solid and tight but i just can't get things like blast beats. Are there any tips with things like constant 32nds notes. Does anyone have any tips that could help me with these? I mean anything where the bass isn't constant is completely fine with me like adding triplets to a standard beat but when i do blast beats i start out ok and then get really out of it and I don't know what's wrong. And by the way, thanks for all the help. And I play a Yamaha DTXtreme III standard. It's electric.
^one thing that has helped our drummer is to practise in school: you're sitting for hours and have nothing to do with your feet, so why not move them as if you were playing blaste beats and stuff, it can help greatly with stamina.