whats the point of the blues and pentatonic scales??? i know only use the major and minor scales but have no idea what the blues and pentatonic scales are for
To sound good. There are basically no "wrong" notes so as long as you use that scale you sound good (see: Black Sabbath). Its just another way of playing. They're popular in classic rock.
what is the point of any scale? music.

blues is a double sided scale that fits either or.

major and minor pentatonic fit their own respective scales.

Think of it like eating. Do you want a cheeseburger with those fries or a chicken sandwich? Both taste just as good with them. They are just other options.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
humanity knows how to break it down. +1
XBL GamerTag = IAmSentient6

My gear:
Ibanez Artist
ESP ltd Viper 200
Schecter Diamond 8

Amps:
Marhshall MG30 (for sale)
Line 6 Spider III Half Stack (mine forever)
Interested in Melodic Thrash Metal? ALUSTRIUM AND LAST NAIL DRIVEN!
the sound of it.

the major sounds... major.
the natural minor sounds dark.
the melodic minor sounds dark with some uplifting moments.
as does the harmonic. this leads both to kinda sound darker overall.
the blues sounds bluesier.
the pentatonic sounds funkier.

they serve their purpose. its just a bit of musical knowledge you can optionally have.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Isn't the blues scale sort of self explanatory as to what to would be used for?

It's just like asking what a hair dryer is used for...
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Quote by CoolDudeMorgasm
Isn't the blues scale sort of self explanatory as to what to would be used for?

It's just like asking what a hair dryer is used for...

the blues scale is used for a lot more than just blues.

back to my food analogy, Asian people eat french fries too.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

A tonne of rock music is based on the blues and minor pentatonic scales. One of my guitarist friend's major gripes about Jimmy Page is that he barely ever plays outside of the pentatonic scales. Hey you could play most of, if not all of Disraeli Gears (Cream) in the blues / pentatonic scales.

They are easy to learn and when you are learning to improvise, very easy to improvise in. IndianRockStar is right, its very hard to hit a bad note in those scales.
My knowledge of music theory is very limited, but as I understand it the blues scale works well because it's just a minor scale but misses out the notes that could be "wrong" over certain chords in that key.
Quote by smb
My knowledge of music theory is very limited, but as I understand it the blues scale works well because it's just a minor scale but misses out the notes that could be "wrong" over certain chords in that key.

That is the pentatonics. The blues scale is a minor pentatonic with a blues note (b5). This comes from blues singer using it as a passing note or shifting it to the 4th or 5th. The same goes for the minor 3rd, but that is already in the minor pentatonic.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
0-2
0-2
0-2
0-3

It's just about the only scale shape I actually use When improvising/jamming. I know there are other positions, but this one is so easy to reach, you don't need to move your left hand.

I've never actually jammed anything that wasn't blues/pentatonic, Although i do improvise alot with the natural minor on my own.
Last edited by jimRH7 at Jul 3, 2008,
Quote by jimRH7
0-2
0-2
0-2
0-3

It's just about the only scale shape I actually use When improvising/jamming. I know there are other positions, but this one is so easy to reach, you don't need to move your left hand.

I've never actually jammed anything that wasn't blues/pentatonic, Although i do improvise alot with the natural minor on my own.

this could be considered a variation of the blues scale.
for ex.
blues scale: E F# G A Ab B D E
you scale: E G A B D E G A

same notes, just yours focuses on certain ones a little more and leaves out others.

What do I win?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
this could be considered a variation of the blues scale.
for ex.
blues scale: E F# G A Ab B D E
you scale: E G A B D E G A

same notes, just yours focuses on certain ones a little more and leaves out others.

What do I win?

You got it a little wrong. The blues scale is 1-b3-4-b5-5-7

But what he's got there is just a minor pentatonic.

Best description I got was that the blues scale (blues box is what I'm talking about) was an easy way to take the penatonic scale and make it sound "major". The full penatonic scale sounds different than a major scale. The blues box is just the penatonic minus a few notes and it sounds like the major scale. You can easily play the blues scale in major keys and it sounds good, such as the bass part to "gimme three steps" by Skynrd.
There are two pentatonics. The major and the minor. They are simply the major or minor scales respectively with notes taken out so that is is hard to play a wrong note. I can't remember the exact reasoning, but it is the triad plus the two notes that best suit major/minor chords.

The blues scale is a variation of the minor pentatonic with the tritone/b5.blues note thrown in as it was used as a leading note to the 4th or 5th in sung melodies.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by IndianRockStar
You got it a little wrong. The blues scale is 1-b3-4-b5-5-7

But what he's got there is just a minor pentatonic.

*checks*

*facepalms*

*laughs*
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by amitbob21
so can we play minor pentatonics and blues in major keys?

No. In those situations, you would use the major pentatonic. As a good example of why not, the minor 3rd in the minor pentatonic and blues scale is highly dissonant to the major 3rd in major keys.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
No. In those situations, you would use the major pentatonic. As a good example of why not, the minor 3rd in the minor pentatonic and blues scale is highly dissonant to the major 3rd in major keys.

I'd just like to add that you don't have to follow scales religiously when playing. Adding some notes off the scale, or chromatic scale notes can add some tension to music - just be careful where you use them. Too many off scale notes sounds like a beginner who doesn't know how to play in key, a choice couple add some nice flavor. The ear is the best judge.
Quote by IndianRockStar
To sound good. There are basically no "wrong" notes so as long as you use that scale you sound good (see: Black Sabbath). Its just another way of playing. They're popular in classic rock.

Well, Originally Pentatonic scales were incredibly popular in folk music prior to making the jump over to rock music.
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
Quote by scawti
I'd just like to add that you don't have to follow scales religiously when playing. Adding some notes off the scale, or chromatic scale notes can add some tension to music - just be careful where you use them. Too many off scale notes sounds like a beginner who doesn't know how to play in key, a choice couple add some nice flavor. The ear is the best judge.

The idea of the pentatonics is to give an easy base to work through. Playing theminor pentatonic over a major chord is not something you should do unless you know exactly what you are doing. Far better to use a major pentatonic, and then incorperate chromatics.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1