The song Chapter 4 from Avenged Sevenfold, but I want to know do you count the whole song 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and etc...?
Last edited by swordsman14 at Jul 3, 2008,
If it's in 4/4 than yes you can count 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4, etc...

But the value of the notes will effect how many of them are played between each number you count (obviously).
Quote by swordsman14
Oh so that means I dont count 1 and 2 and.... its 12341234?

Yes, Chapter Four's a fast song isn't it? Depends on the BPM, get a metronome, set it to whatever BPM you want and count with it.
Well there's different ways to count if you want to say something for every note being played. Personally I just count 1,2,3,4, etc to keep time, but there are different things you can say to keep time with different notes. For example eight notes go 1, and, 2, and, 3, and, etc... Eight note triplets are 1, and, a, 2, and, a, 3, and, a, etc... And finally I think it's with sixteenth notes you can count 1, e, an, da, 2 e, an, da, 3, etc...

I don't know all the patterns off the top of my head (and I'm not sure the one I listed are correct), but if you're really worried about counting to music, most beginning theory books cover that sort of thing.
Think of triplets being counted like this ONE 2 3 TWO 2 3 THREE 2 3 FOUR 2 3

Whole = 1...1...1...1...
Half = 1..3..1..3.
Half Triplets = 1 + +
Quarter = 1 2 3 4
Quarter Triplets = 1 + + 2 + +
Eighth = 1+2+3+4+
Eighth Triplets = 1++2++3++4++
Sixteenth = 1+++2+++3+++4+++
Sixteenth Triplets = 1+++++2+++++3+++++4+++++
Thirtysecond = 1+++++++2+++++++3+++++++4+++++++
Thirtysecond Triplets = Just play really fast