I learned my basic theory from Fingerboard Theory for Guitar by Mel Bay and I'm just about through that book. I want to accumulate some good music theory books. I bought several of the Guitar Grimoire books and I've gotta say that I'm pretty disapointed. They aren't very dense and it seems to me like they are not all that complete. Maybe I just don't understand most of it, nothing is really explained and I sorta have to figure it out. I think I'm going to return them.

I want books that contain information about:
-Chords, Chord Progressions, Voicings, ect
-Modes
-Improvisation
-Harmony
-Rythym Guitar
-Sight Reading (More Advanced, I can already read standard notation)

Can I get opinions about books that I'm looking at?

Jazz Theory Book- Mark Levine
Jazz Theory Resources 1+2- Bert Ligon
Chord Chemistry- Ted Greene
Mel Bays Complete Book of Theory Harmony and Voicing- Bret Wilmott

Thanks alot
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
The Complete Idiot's Guide To Music Theory. Great book. I'm almost through it, and it's helped tremendously.

I had that and I didn't think it was very good for people with some theory knowledge already. What I read in it, I had already learned about in MT for the most part. It was nice picking up little bits here and there though. Nice and clear.

I've heard good things about Mark Levine's book from here. I've heard that it's not only a learning book, but it a book that you'll be pulling out for reference. Last time I checked, it was around $40!
Quote by VIRUSDETECTED
The Complete Idiot's Guide To Music Theory. Great book. I'm almost through it, and it's helped tremendously.

Same here.

I just started on it and I'm reading through a chapter a day.

helps a lot.
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
Last time I checked, it was around $40!
I'm sure you can find a better price if you googled "mark-levine jazz theory book rapidshare" without the quotes and clicked on the first link.
Quote by demonofthenight
I'm sure you can find a better price if you googled "mark-levine jazz theory book rapidshare" without the quotes and clicked on the first link.

No buddy has that kind of money.
Quote by demonofthenight

etc.

Seriously though
Quote by kirbyrocknroll

etc.

Seriously though
Hey dude, your next in line to become a mod. You should be all like "UG doesnt condone such illegitimate acts."
Quote by demonofthenight
Hey dude, your next in line to become a mod. You should be all like "UG doesnt condone such illegitimate acts."

No I'm not. I resigned form CCing a few weeks ago. I'm waiting to become yellow/black again.

Besides. I had errors when opening the files. You tease
Quote by kirbyrocknroll
No I'm not. I resigned form CCing a few weeks ago. I'm waiting to become yellow/black again.

Besides. I had errors when opening the files. You tease
Aw. I guess you need someone to fill your spot, *wink wink*

What's your email because I could send you a file that you may like?

TS, I had that same book. It's pretty good. You may like the book Jazz Guitar Comping - Andrew Green and Connecting Chords With Linear Harmony - Bert Ligon. I could email you a couple things you may like as well.
“Science cannot solve the ultimate mystery of nature. And that is because, in the last analysis, we ourselves are part of nature and therefore part of the mystery that we are trying to solve.”

-Max Planck

☮∞☯♥
^yeah the andrew green books are pretty good. The Mark Levine Jazz theory book is probably about as complete a source as you'll find, its very good.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.