so i finally get my hands on enough cash to get the schecter hellraiser ive wanted for so long but the only ones out are those 81/89 tap coil ones...ive heard these suck compared to the ol' 85/81 hellraiser which i cant seem to find..basically..i have enough to buy a hellraiser new now..but to get the older one i am having to look around and wait wait wait ugh!!!

oh btw...i saw a MIM fender tele on my local craigslist in what appeared to be great condition for $250..should i jump on that deal? ive always wanted to try a tele

ESP EC-1000 *Vintage Black*
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
why would they suck?
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
the 81tw/89 set are the same as the 81/85...
the 81tw/89 is just tappable, if anything it's better.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
they're pretty different guitars, the hellraiser being a metal guitar and the tele being a blues/country guitar, so a lot depends on the music being played on it, and since you are a "southernrawkaddict", i'd say the tele would be a good guitar
but dont make a decision without checking out the condition of it
Gear:
Ibanez Destroyer
Roland Cube 60
Boss TU-80
Ovation acoustic
Original Crybaby

"If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried" Josh Homme

My Profile

^^Check out my profile for some improv solos^^
Last edited by High_o at Jul 3, 2008,
yea, the 89 is just a coil tap version of the 85... or at least thats what i've been lead to believe
Quote by tarheelfan2
Oh ****, I just found out I got pwned by Joey! Damn...

Quote by funkbass369
GASPPPP! another one pwned by joey!

Quote by funkyfigure8
Lulz Joey Is Teh Ownage I Want His Penus
the 81/89 set is just the same just with coil tapping. far better imo
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 81TW/89
Fender 60th Anniversary Strat with Gibson P/Us
Line 6 Spider III half stack
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Digitech RP50
Quote by JOEYPWNSU
yea, the 89 is just a coil tap version of the 85... or at least thats what i've been lead to believe

oh really?!
hmm, if thats the case then i guess it isnt that big a deal...
so basically the 81/89 is the same as the 81/85 set but different once you pull the knob to coil tap?

if so ok

and btw on the tele..i have enough cash to buy both the tele and the hellraiser ))

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
^ If that's the case jump on the tele and wait it out for the Hellraiser, because it isn't going anywhere.

And I've also heard that the 89 sounds worse than the 85, but things have been known to get blown out of proportion here on UG.
Quote by T!AN
And I've also heard that the 89 sounds worse than the 85, but things have been known to get blown out of proportion here on UG.

u dont say
ESP Eclipse with blackouts (Snow White)
Taylor 814ce (tabacco sunburst)
Dean Dime o Flage
Spider valve mkii
Fender Super Reverb
Peavey Vypyr 15
Quote by jcp42877
oh really?!
hmm, if thats the case then i guess it isnt that big a deal...
so basically the 81/89 is the same as the 81/85 set but different once you pull the knob to coil tap?

if so ok

and btw on the tele..i have enough cash to buy both the tele and the hellraiser ))

The new Hellraiser is ALOT better than the old one.
if you read what EMG has to say, the 89 is SIMILAR but not the exact same as the 85

and id jump on that tele
Quote by twinturboaudi
u dont say

lol.

yeah i'm pretty sure the difference is negligible.
Quote by Nutman69
i think ur gonna get flamed pretty bad.

Gear:
Peavey 5150 Combo
LTD MH-1000 NT
Schecter 007 Elite
Line 6 Pod XT Live
Quote by Mind Kill
The new Hellraiser is ALOT better than the old one.

A GaphTech nut and a coil tap don't make it "ALOT" better. The tone is a tiny bit thinner than the old ones, but like people have said, you probably won't even notice. And you'll get better sustain from the awesome nut. I'd get the new one. If you don't like the pick-ups, trade 'em out when you get the cash. No big deal really.
Quote by mrvile

This is UG, we love Schecters and Ibanez and Jacksons, we hate Deans and BCR's, we hate Marshall MG's, and everyone needs a new amp.
yeah if there was even significant amount of difference i probably wouldnt notice..ive never even played EMGs before...but have been wanting a guitar with some after hearing all the great things about them & hellraisers

Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC212-OB

DiMarzio Cables
Quote by T!AN
...I've also heard that the 89 sounds worse than the 85...
I wouldn't say it sounds worse so much as it lacks the attack the 85 [and pretty much every other EMG] is known for.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
get the tele they're gorgeous guitars

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

I've never been a tele fan, but you have decide if the tele fits your music style, if its really comfy and playable. Of course, check that the tele's still in excellent condition with the original parts.

If it all works, by all means get it, then wait out for the next version of the Hellraiser, when they do redesign it. I'd bet you'd have more than enough money saved up to get that Hellraiser then. Guitar companies seem to keep redesigning and rereleasing their guitars constantly (can we spell D-E-A-N).

Alternatively, if you reckon the 89 sounds worse than the 85 and you're really itching to get that Hellraiser, you could also consider getting the hellraiser, get an 85 (or whatever pups you want), swap out the 89 and sell the 89s on.

Or option 3, go pick up a hellraiser and try it out. From the sounds of it, you've not actually tried the Hellraiser yet. One thing I've found out about choosing and buying guitars can be summarised as... "One man's meat is another man's poison". I've accompanied numerous friends to buy guitars, and while there are the occasional few guitars which most people wouldn't touch, even with a 10 foot pole. The love and hate of different tones or even different guitar is a very personal thing.

Try the Hellraiser, what others may hate, you may like.
Quote by jm1681
I wouldn't say it sounds worse so much as it lacks the attack the 85 [and pretty much every other EMG] is known for.

And now I know. thanks
Quote by FRDesign
Mabye, do the 16V mod on an 89 if its possible.

9+9 = 18 =\ and the 18volt mod kicks arse

and if you do play the 89 could you pm me what its like, i planned on getting the 81/89 coil tapped pickups actually xD, im actually not too fond of my 85 im thinking of putting another 81 or a 60 in the neck, i dont play anything clean so.. xD
I havent played the old ones, but I wouldnt worry about the new ones sucking. They're very very awesome.
Quote by lespaul#1
Indie stands for Industrial I think, like Marilyn Manson.

Ibanez RG2EX2 (Dimarzio Breed in bridge)
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Laney LV300T
Line 6 Toneport GX

The Falling Object Model