Ive been hearing a lot lately that 24.75" necks cant hold tension as strongly on down tunings. Is it a large enough difference to where I should avoid guitars with the 24.75" scale? Is there any other differences I should be aware of?

Also, if it helps, I tune in C standard, using 12-52 strings.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
I think you should be fine if you raise the action abit

you might tho want to go with heavier strings to get a desired snappyness
Durka
Last edited by VelvetFireBC491 at Jul 3, 2008,
Well Zak Wylde does it doesn't he?
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
The differnece in length can easily be made up with heavier gauge strings. If you were tuning to something like drop A, the extra length would be helpful, but for drop C, 24.75 will be fine.
Quote by Doodleface
Well Zak Wylde does it doesn't he?

True, same with michael amott I just read. And he uses 10-52 in C. That sounds floppy
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
^ Those sound like light top heavy bottom strings which get rid of the floppiness where it would be most annoying. I'm using 11's and my low e is a .49...
I tune down with 10-46's just fine on my Deans (which have the 24.75 scale)
I find the bigger gauges, like the big fat 52's, sound really muddy, even in low tunings
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by T!AN
^ Those sound like light top heavy bottom strings which get rid of the floppiness where it would be most annoying. I'm using 11's and my low e is a .49...

True, I just looked it up, its a D'Addario custom set.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Quote by Flux'D
I tune down with 10-46's just fine on my Deans (which have the 24.75 scale)
I find the bigger gauges, like the big fat 52's, sound really muddy, even in low tunings

hah, I find the exact opposite because of the loose tension.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
Iommi drop tunes with 9s on a short scale SG. So it can be done. Just easier to drop tune on the 25.5
Quote by Tackleberry
Iommi drop tunes with 9s on a short scale SG. So it can be done.
He has incredibly high action on his guitars though.
I've tuned down to Bb on a 24" (not to be confused with 24.75) scale guitar. However, I use Jazz strings, including a wound third, but I've never had problems with tension.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Quote by dcdossett65
True, same with michael amott I just read. And he uses 10-52 in C. That sounds floppy
no he doesn't. He uses 11-59.

The difference in scale length comes in handy when down tuning. For example. The same strings on a 24.75" guitar and a 26.5" guitar can be used for the exact same tuning, however the 26.5" guitar will have more tension in the strings ( less flop) Sorry for my horrible explanation.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
I play mainly standard tuning, not anything crazy. Would getting a 25.5" scale guitar make any difference or should I stick with 24.75? Thanks.
no he doesn't. He uses 11-59.

The difference in scale length comes in handy when down tuning. For example. The same strings on a 24.75" guitar and a 26.5" guitar can be used for the exact same tuning, however the 26.5" guitar will have more tension in the strings ( less flop) Sorry for my horrible explanation.[/QUOTE

Guitar World lies then.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender American Tele

F/S:
Orange Rockerverb 50
Orange PPC412
There really isn't much of a difference to be honest. Some people find it easier to bend on shorter scale necks, but longer scale lengths tend to have a little more sustain because of the added tension.

Just try both scales next time you go a Music Store, see which one fits you better. I own guitars with both 25.5 and 24.75 and like them about the same
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Yeah it wont effect down-tuning really, and it's not that big of a difference. I have two Les Pauls, one of which is 25.5" scale length (don't ask..), and the other is the standard 24.75". The only real difference, tuned to the same pitch, with the same gauge strings, is that the string tension on the 25.5" guitar is slightly higher.
String guage will be all that's needed for tension, it's the intonation that gets messed up with short scale guitars usually if you're tuning lower than drop C, your intonation just goes to ****.
I'm guessing it won't matter to me then, every guitar I have and have played has been 24.75 on standard tuning. Although I am curious about trying the 25.5" scale, I'm not sure if my next guitar should be 25.5 or not.
guys just to add to this thread, I am almost always in standard, and sometimes in drop D or Eb, but nothing extreme. But I find the my squire affinity strats takes less effort to bend (25.5) than on my epi iommi (24.75). Could this be due to headstock angle?
Music is the holy grail, sod wine water and the blood of jesus
stop tail? The bit where the string balls go into just before the saddles? Why will raising that make it less tense?
Well I never knew that, so if i loosened the screws then it should give less tension. Ahh brilliant, like I said thanks for that. And BTW on a vintage trem strat how do you adjust the action, is it the little screws on the trem rocking bit?
ahh so its a much more precise process, and takes much longer. And also with countoured fretboards it must be harder still. SO whats the screw things under the strings on the trem do?