Page 1 of 2
I'm a noob and want to learn on a electric I have a acoustic but realize I want to play a harder style.
get a starter pack.... i started with an ibanez starter pack.. it lasted me a little over a year..
yeah, if you just have $300-350 to spend and need an amp too, then a starter pack will be your best bet. Out of personal experience and opinion, I say go with an Ibanez over a Squire
Sweeping is for n00bs. I've moved on to vacuuming. Eventually I'll even try steam cleaning.

Bitches don't know
if you play harder rock, you need a humbucker in the bridge, so get something like the squier HSS strat pack, or an epiphone les paul special 2 and a micro cube

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Get something used, so it holds its value should you decide you don't wanna play anymore after 3 mos. and should you be serious, you still have a quality instrument for years to come. Its value will only go up if you treat it right.
if you got 3-350 to spend there are alot of options if you go with used equipment. how heavy are you tryin to go? nickelback? disturbed? slayer? it'd be easier to suggest a guitar based on what style you wanna do.

he needs an amp to ^^

and i highly doubt he'll want to start with a floyd

Go used.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Darkdevil725

Cheap deans suck, and that floyd rose sucks balls.

For sure go used, you can get a good starter guitar used which is a lot better than a crappy starter park. Or find something on this website.

www.rondomusic.com and then spend the rest on an amp.
Oh so its just $350 for the guitar? Then go and an Epiphone G-400

Here is a link so you know what it looks like, Its a great guitar and its in your price range.

Though going used is a goo option, you can get a $600ish guitar for $350
If $350 just for the guitar you could get a proper decebt guitar thats gonna last you years anad years. You maybe able to get an Ibanez RG350DX for that which are sweet!
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Either the goth epiphone or the third epiphone g-400, the ibanez is ok but the tremolo probably sucks, like most trems on cheap ibanez's.

You are better off getting a hardtail when you are only spending $300-350.
Quote by Copilot911
Either the goth epiphone or the third epiphone g-400, the ibanez is ok but the tremolo probably sucks, like most trems on cheap ibanez's.

You are better off getting a hardtail when you are only spending $300-350.

I wouldn't get the Goth G-400, unless you want your guitar to look like that.

I would say get the gloss black one of the G-400, if you choose to have black and the SG.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Yeah if you want the gothic color go for it, its $50 cheaper, but personally I wouldn't want that color.
get an epiphone special II les Paul, and get better pickups for it, the guitar would be worth about $200 and i don't know about the pickups.
Quote by FightinIrishPJ
get a starter pack.... i started with an ibanez starter pack.. it lasted me a little over a year..

I got a starter pack. I wish i had of gotten and ibanez starter pack though. Listen to this guy.
GEAR
Legend LP
Nylon Acoustic
Legend 10D Amp
Korg AX3G

flickr
Do yourself a favor and DON'T limit yourself to Gibson. You could be missiing out on some great guitars. I do like Les Pauls too but check these out:

Squier by Fender Jagmaster $249.99

Gretsch Junior Jet II $280.00
Gretsch makes QUALITY instruments. Even this "low end" is better than most low end guitars.

Peavey JF-1 $299.00 [Might not be your cup of tea but I've played this and it's a quality guitaer. Pic does it no justice.]

Epiphone LP-100 $234.00 [Nice but I've heard great to meh reviews of it. I played one and it felt like a toy to me but I'm a big guy.] For $50 more you can get an LP Studio which really is a better quality Epi LP under $300
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
+1 on the earlier recommendation of rondomusic. They have a good stock of guitars aimed at the "metal" crowd under the Douglas and Agile brands. With the extra dough, get yourself an entry level modeling amp from Fender, Vox, Roland, or Line 6. Should be able to easily hit the $300 to $350 price range with better gear than almost any starter pack.
any other vote for the Yamaha Pacifica 112v, here.

I'm a returning player after a 3 1/2 year lay-off. I had an Epiphone Les Paul Studio (Slash Sig model) and played for about 4 years and the Yamaha is much easier to play. Perfect for a beginner and will last any player into there intermediate level.
Great action and great sound.
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Tanglewood TW15NS
Line6 Spider III 15w (playing into the MP3/CD input = bypass all the Spider processing)
Boss DD-3
DigiTech RP500

My other passion in life My Site
Plenty of choices in the $350 range. Just another option... an Ibanez RG hardtail. I have an RG3ex1 that I paid $350 for brand new. The price has gone up, but you can still get the RG2ex1 cheap and it's the same guitar without the quilted maple top. It's got a great Wizard II neck and plays very nicely. Clean tones aren't bad, but it's got a real nice distorted sound.
Quote by ash_attack
i think everyone will agree, yamaha 112 + roland cube = amazing starter rig

excellent, it only took 16 posts to get a sensible answer. agreed. i'd go with the microcube or cube 30- avoid the cube 15 or 20 as they don't have amp models (which you want). don't be tempted just because they're higher wattage- they don't sound as good, and aren't as versatile.

an ibanez rg321 might be worth a look too.

what's with all the retards suggesting a starter pack? o_O $350 will easily buy you a pacifica 112 and microcube. you should have enough left over to buy a lead and strap too, but if you buy in a local shop, you should be able to get them to throw those in for free.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
don't be tempted to go with something with a double-locking tremolo at that price either, it won't be very good.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
excellent, it only took 16 posts to get a sensible answer. agreed. i'd go with the microcube or cube 30- avoid the cube 15 or 20 as they don't have amp models (which you want). don't be tempted just because they're higher wattage- they don't sound as good, and aren't as versatile.

an ibanez rg321 might be worth a look too.

what's with all the retards suggesting a starter pack? o_O $350 will easily buy you a pacifica 112 and microcube. you should have enough left over to buy a lead and strap too, but if you buy in a local shop, you should be able to get them to throw those in for free.

thanks dave and yeah if you're into heavier music definitely get the rg instead i played a used one at a pawn shop, has amazing upper fret access, is mahagony and the pickups are really good for stock's
Got with a 15 W Cube,which is 100, a 200 guitar (maybe epiphone LP studio/G-400), which gives you 50 to buy decent quality cable and tuner - Go with a Korg - that way you can tune to more than just standard.
The rig:
Gibson SG faded special -> Marshall MG 50/100 (working on a valve amp)
Backup: Vintage AV1
Newcastle United
Yamaha Pacifica 112 is the god of beginner guitars. HSS configuration, smooth, easy-access fretboard, solid construction. You won't get a more versatile guitar for under $500.

Get a Roland Cube, preferrably the 30W. If you can't spend that much, get the micro; avoid the 15 like the plague.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Guys read the thread first, he has a $350 budget on the guitar, not the amp. This $350 is going to the guitar.

Layne always get a hardtail when you are getting a starter guitar, that tremolo/bridge on that ibanez won't be very good and will be more of a hassle than its worth.

The G-400 is very good, also look at other hardtail guitars.

Try and see what craigslist has, you could get a used jackson or ESP that retails for $600 for $350.
^ if he's a noob (as he says), he might not know he needs an amp (or might not have budgeted enough money for one)? stranger things have happened...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2