Page 1 of 2
Alright, so I've been playing around with this design for about nine months just waiting for class to get out so I would have the time and space to build it. Now all of my wood has arrived, I got all my tools together, the weather is nice(ish) and I'm ready to go. Already a few days in, but I plan on sharing the progress as I go. All of the hardware including the neck will be coming from a gutted dean vendetta, cause I love the feel of the neck, the sound, and the price is right.

First up, the original sketch, and all of the potential designs I derived from it.

The final design I used was the bottom right one, but I really like some of the other ones too, some of them, not so much.

MMMMM, fresh slab o' mahogany

Template taped down just waitin for the jigsaw to arrive

All the hardware layed out.

Design traced, all of everything measured about a billion times.

partway through cutting at the trickiest corner.

all finished cutting (for now) with scrap wood around

just laying the neck on top of it so I can get a good idea of how it will look

Thats all for now, once I get the router functional I'll have more. apparently ordering a battery and a charger at the same time from home depot doesn't necessarily mean they'll arrive at the same time. Feel free to let me know what you think.
yea i wanna see how this turns out...

is this your first build?
Nice...Personally I would have done the v design. Keep us updated though!
Quote by Peradactyl
alright, off topic but how do i make forum posts

Quote by The_Paranoia
a4lrocker is an offical thread legend.
OMG THE 3RD LAST PIC
WTF
u dont just put a clamp on un protected wood, look i can see you even put a dent in the wood
put a piece of scrap between the clamp and the wood dummy

also i love you designs, especially the v-shaped one
there f***kin metal
^ Depends on the pressure of the clamp and density of the wood, I've had many unprotected clamps and I havent caught anything...

I'm not too keen on the design but I'll look foward to seeing the workmanship

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by Absent Mind
^ Depends on the pressure of the clamp and density of the wood, I've had many unprotected clamps and I havent caught anything...

I'm not too keen on the design but I'll look foward to seeing the workmanship

better safe than dented
Great job so far can't wait to see it done.

Gear
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Carvin V3 and Marhall 1960A cab
2 B.C. Rich Ironbird Pro
Schecter Hellraiser 6
Boss ML-2

yeah, this is my first build, but I'm no stranger to woodworking, in fact in the sixth pic you can see last summer's project, lol, beerpong is so much fun. for the finish I'm going to leave the natural wood, just because this piece of mahogany is so beautiful, plus there aren't a lot of metal guitars without a black or white finish. I've still got a little shaping, and a **** load of sanding to do, but it's coming along nicely. I am a little concerned that this guitar might be impossible to play sitting down, but oh well, I try to avoid sitting while playing anyway. I might build the v in the future. I'll be real busy over the fourth so I'll prolly have some updates after the weekend.
IMO you should have gone with the 4th last shape. That is sex-E
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Holy crap, I'm terrible at this whole updating thing. It's been a long time, and with the exception of some minor shaping and sanding, it's pretty much done and ready to have the hardware mounted. Behold! Pictures!

Midway through the routing process

My cheap ass router effed up a little, and it caused a patch of paper thin wood.

but all was fixed with a little bit of god like epoxy

And we're ready to sand and mount hardware, then of course play

One concern I do have is that I was planning on leaving a natural finish, but I dont want to just leave it unfinished. I don't have any idea what to use to protect the wood and still leave the natural grain showing. Any input would be appreciated.
Alright, and I am finished \m/ it ****ing rocks

Midway through beveling

Successful bevels

Beginning to mount the hardware

Done!!!

More Done!!!!

Even more of it done!

one more time

the back of the finished guitar

Its done, but there is probably a lot i'm going to do with it still. There's a little shaping I want to do with the front fins yet, and I still have yet to clear coat it, but at this point theres no hurry to do that. It plays like a dream, but is a bit of a pain in the ass to play sitting down, but then again so was my razorback and I got used to that. Considering the electronics in it, it sounds great and has a very smooth tone. I'll put up some audio clips when I get home to my good amp.

Let me know what you think
no, I don't plan on painting it, because I really like the grain of the wood. I am going to put some kind of clear coat on but I haven't figured out what to use yet, and I might do a little shaping on the front fins.
Tung oil it, seriously. Also, that must be a pain in the ass to play sitting.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Tung oil? Will that just protect the wood, or will it also stain it a little, because I love the shade and the grain and while the grain would look really really nice with a darker shade I wanna keep it how it is now. and yes, it is a huge pain to play sitting, but I haven't mounted the strap buttons, so I have to get used to it for now. It's only been a day and I'm starting to get the feel for it. hint, don't stab yourself in the leg.
I don't know if it does or not, either way it'll look beastly a little darker.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by EclipseNine
no, I don't plan on painting it, because I really like the grain of the wood. I am going to put some kind of clear coat on but I haven't figured out what to use yet, and I might do a little shaping on the front fins.

Well you could stain it, or use a dye or something.
I just think for that kind of body plain wood doesn't look that good.
Quote by kurtlives91
Is it possible to sit down and play this.....thing?

+1
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Tung oil is good for protecting the wood, but it will darken it some. It contains varnish, so make sure you rub it in well and wipe off any excess to prevent stickiness. Linseed oil also works (and usually contains no varnish) but will also darken a little bit. Some kind of finishing oil is your best bet if you want to retain a natural look while adding protection to the wood. Most anything you use besides a clear coat would darken the wood some.
I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, I'll probably wait a month or so before I choose weather I'm going to clear coat it or varnish it. We will see. And yes, this thing is completely playable sitting down. I just recently finished it, and I'm already used to playing it sitting. Its just like any other metal guitar, it took me forever to get used to playing my razorback sitting down.
Its a bird! its a plane! its uh what the flip is it again?
Tung oil will keep water/sweat from warping your creation.
Hearing about a pair of great boobs is like hearing about a really cool bug or lizard as a kid and you just gotta see it.
Since this is bumped I will voice my concerns

WHY didnt you use templates? You should never free hand routes especially not the neck pocket!

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
Quote by Absent Mind
Since this is bumped I will voice my concerns

WHY didnt you use templates? You should never free hand routes especially not the neck pocket!

first build, and in hindsight i really should have, but its too late now. all of the routs actually turned out pretty well despite being free hand, the only problem with them is that in some spots the router jiggled loose and went a bit deeper than it was supposed to. how did this get bumped any way?

now that I'm on break I'm disassembling the whole thing and doing some touching up. first priority is to fill the inconsistencies in the neck pocket, and im trying to decide the best way to do that. the two options I was thinking of are: really strong resin-like epoxy, or gluing a block of wood into the neck pocket and re routing with a template. the other things im going to do are rounding off the top fins, sanding it smoother, applying tung oil, and redoing all the electronics. they're held together with electrical tape.
How long did cutting it out with a jigsaw take you? (I'm thinking that's what I'm going to need to do for mine whenever I end up finally doing it)

And while I can't decide if I like the design or not, I certainly give you props for originality!
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
You should call this thing, the ****ing Bat! Seriously, it looks like a badass bat or something.
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
Quote by Coolcat13
How long did cutting it out with a jigsaw take you? (I'm thinking that's what I'm going to need to do for mine whenever I end up finally doing it)

And while I can't decide if I like the design or not, I certainly give you props for originality!

designing and getting the design into a form that was traceable was the most time consuming part. the actual cutting took two or three days, working a few hours at a time. it was a tough shape to do for my first guitar, but it wasn't impossible. make sure you've got a good jigsaw with a sturdy blade (i've heard bandsaws work better tho, but that was outside my resources) there were a few spots that the blade bent a little so i ended up with some crooked cuts.
alrighty, update time!

rounded off the rough edges of the front fins

the progress of the different coats of tung oil. its got a gorgeous shine to it now. since the coat solidified over the last couple days it looks better now than in these pics. i'll try to take a high quality pick and get it posted in the next day or two.
Holy crap, that oiling really brought out awesomeness in the wood
Quote by tjfishrocker
Coolcat i want to make love to you right now.

Quote by Natrone

Anyone else see the irony in smashing a guitar that says "peace and love" ?
Quote by Coolcat13

i know, i couldn't believe it either. at first i was skeptical about putting oil on it, but after seeing this transformation i will forever be a supporter of tung oil.
Quote by Coolcat13

That was exactly my thought. Really, best=tung oil.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I'm really glad you oiled it. It looked like **** before IMO, lol.
Gear
Fender Thinline Telecaster Deluxe

1983 Aria Pro II XX Deluxe Flying V

2007 S101 EGU34

1963 Kay Vanguard

1964 Kay Vanguard

AXL Badwater SRO

Hondo Strat

1974 Acoustic(brand) 134 4x10 combo

Epiphone Valve Jr.
now that it's finished it looks so much better. Intersting desgin, I have to say though, I really liked the flying v-esque design you have in your first post
wow that popped under oil, nice!

Quote by dogismycopilot

Quote by lumberjack

Quote by littlemurph7976
that tung oil...works wonders
Just call me Julius, J, etc.
Taking an Internet break for a while, will come on when I can.
I love tung oil.

It gives wicked smooth necks, and if it ever gets dirty or scratched you just sort of.. well, wipe more on.

Also, the more coats you use, the darker it gets. You can make maple necks amber. Just as long as you let it dry about 24 hours, so the coats don't just blend, but get thicker.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
great job! The shape is awesome and that color is beautiful! Did you (or are you going to) sand the edge of the neck pocket? I think that would annoy me with an edge that sharp but thats me
Quote by bass-boy-garith
Quote by guitarhero_764
I guess I'm kind of like a hippie. I'm anti-war, do drugs, and like communism.
Your not a hippie, just a ****ing moron.
I think the neck pocket is getting covered with a neck.
Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Page 1 of 2