Ok, I've recently been kicked out of my room so that relatives can use my bed, and I didn't wanna drag my gear downstairs, so I dusted off my old practice amp and brought it down. Its a Fender 15G frontman, the kind the squire starter packs come in, and I haven't used it in about a year.

I plugged it in and was totally shocked how absolutely sh*tty it sounds(think MG on ten and you'll be pretty close). Now to be fair, it did suffer quite a bit when it was in service for its 3 years, seeing as I would dime it regularly (for sh*ts n' giggles) and even sang through it once. I also broke the imput socket and had a friend re-solder it.

Now, do all fender frontmen sound like ass, or is mine a special case of abuse?

EDIT: The worst tone is when put it into "drive", but even the clean has a LOT of static that is probably caused by faulty wiring or the speaker being effed up.
Last edited by Cutlass_253 at Jul 3, 2008,
I thought mine sounded pretty decent, but it's been busted for a few years so I can't check.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
I don't think yours is a special case. Many small solid state amps, and especially those that come with starter packs, sound like ass.

When we use them without a point of reference, they sound "OK" but if we play something way better and get used to good tone, going back to them is when the difference is most apparent.
The little yamaha amp which my friend had come with his starter pack is without doubt the worst amp ever.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by TehNez
I thought mine sounded pretty decent, but it's been busted for a few years so I can't check.

Well back when I played it regularly I thought it sounded fine, but now it's awful,
yeah i had a frontman 25r and it sounded good for about a year

it started cutting out and now it dosen't make sound at all

no worries i got a new amp
My first Peavey, there is a pic or two of it on my profile.

It had all these ridiculous knobs that didn't really serve a purpose, and I hadn't hard of on any other amp, it didn't have a master volume! and no matter what knob I turned or switch I flipped, it always gave me a 100% undistorted tone.
He's a freak of nature, but we love him so.

Quote by John Frusciante
Music isn't the Olympics. It's not about showing other people what you can do with a piece of wood in your hands that has strings on, it's about making sounds that are good.
Oh well, it was definitely out of commission anyway. Wow, when I look back on it, I actually used to think this thing sounded pretty good, and now I hope its just me growing as a player. As an interesting note, it does seem to pick up pinch harmonics really well, which i think is funny.
Oh no....the dreaded Fender Frontman!!! That was my first amp! You know, it was okay at the time, and add to it I was playing an equally s#!tty Squire Strat, but when you finally understand tone basics and get to hear yourself through a better amp, you realize just how inferior those little things are. Glad that mine broke after a few months of playing, and made me go buy a very cheap 30 watt Line 6, which ain't a tone wizard either, but she serves her purpose.
Quote by deckerbastard69
screw your relatives
and lead them to the couch

Well I don't mind sleeping on the couch...but for the sake of tone, maybe you're right...
If it came in a squier pack it was probably an SP-10 which is really the worst amp I have played
This is why they invented the Roland microcube.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
This is why they invented the Roland microcube.

:hugs his Micro Cube:
Quote by darkarbiter7
The little yamaha amp which my friend had come with his starter pack is without doubt the worst amp ever.

Quote by marshmellow666
yeah i had a frontman 25r and it sounded good for about a year

it started cutting out and now it dosen't make sound at all

no worries i got a new amp

I think I know exactly what's wrong with this. I've had to take apart my marshal and fix the prongs inside my input jack about twice now. If your second input works. Its this.
So...

I have a SP-10. Bad tone, right?

It broke. Don't know what exactly went wrong with it, but it didn't work.

So my brother cooks up this idea, and gets one of the 1/8th inch to RCA cables and plugs it into the headphone jack of the amp. The he proceeded to plug it into the aux input of my 10 Sony stereo with 4 inch speakers. The volume is broken on the radio, so it dimes out at 4 on the dial.

It was bad. Like, really, really bad.

/idiocy