hi i got a sx vintage series - Stevie ray Vaughan imitation and when i bend the whammy bar or use it - it puts the 3 little strings out of tune - you can hear this plucking sound when you use the whammy - why is this ?? or what part do i need to fix ?

thank you
You need to have a locking nut on the headstock for it to stay in tune. Don't even bother having the whammy bar in there, cause it's pretty much useless.

Those 3 things going down in a line is the locking nut, i'm assuming you don't have it.

EDIT: I forgot about locking tuners...I should be going to bed soon lol
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Gibson Faded V
Warmoth Strat copy
Epiphone Hummingbird (FS!!)
Ibanez SR400QM
Fender BXR100
Reggae Bass Covers mahn!!!

vintage trems have less tuning stability than double locking trems. try to lube your nut or string trees. if it still goes out of tune, put in some locking tuners.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
All non-locking trem systems unfortunately go out of tune when used. There are a few thing you can do to limit this though. You can lube the nut (rub the tip of a pencil on each slot on the nut, making sure that some of the graphite gets into each slot). You can also invest in some locking tuners.
AMP:
5150 combo
GSP1101 + Tech 21 PE60

GUITARS:
ESP LTD M-255 w/ SD Full Shred
Kramer Vanguard w/ JE-1000 active preamp
Douglas WF-150sn w/ GFS "Hot Lead" set

EFFECTS:
Bos SD-1 (boost)
AMT DT-2

My Youtube Vids http://youtube.com/user/mogar
My Strat with a vintage style 6 screw trem stays in tune pretty well, all things considering. Here's my tips on how to make yours work better:
There's several factors, when you're trying to keep a guitar in tune:
- Stringing technique
- proper setup
- As little friction as possible.

So let's attack these possible problems.
Friction - Your guitar has what are called string trees:

The circled metal thing keeps the string from popping out of the string nut. Useful, but they also create friction that prevents the string from returning to its proper pitch after a bend or something. So...apply some sort of lubrication to to the underside of the string tree, as pointed to by the arrow. Use something like Big Bends Nut Sauce, or Guitar Grease. Even pencil lead will work. Simply grind the pencil lead into dust on a paper, and use some of this dust on the point of friction. You can even use machine oil.
The same problem occurs at the string nut. Each groove has a bit of friction. So you can apply the same lubricant there, underneath the string, and that will help. You can also buy the appropriate replacement nut, but the nut should be made of graphite. There's less friction from that material.

Moving on to setup. There's a lot of material to cover with setup, far more than I feel inclined to go into...but I can point you towards some helpful links:
http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/tutorial1.htm
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=602241&page=1&pp=20

Lastly, stringing technique. Yes, it's possible to string a guitar improperly. I actually mess with my Strats trem a lot, and it stays in tune really nicely. Of course, I have it lubricated at the proper points of friction and have a graphite nut, but I don't use locking tuners or anything like that. The secret? Stringing your guitar the right way! Here's a link that will show you how I do it:
http://www.stringthis.com/howtostringu.html
try to lube your nut

+1
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
Quote by conwayt
hi i got a sx vintage series - Stevie ray Vaughan imitation and when i bend the whammy bar or use it - it puts the 3 little strings out of tune - you can hear this plucking sound when you use the whammy - why is this ?? or what part do i need to fix ?

thank you

have you put on larger strings on? the E,A,D strings may be binding in the nut that could be the sound you hear. and not letting the smaller strings return to pitch. you need to file out the nut on the E,A,D strings. also correct stringing is a MUST if each string is not properly locked it will never stay in tune. you can keep a non locker in tune as long and you find the balance between springs and strings. and lube all the points of friction. that being said...........you cannot do extreme wammy bar tricks with a non locker like steve vai or dimebag........ect
Last edited by mmjohn at Jul 3, 2008,
Yeah, get a locking nut. Atm, I tune my squier every night cos of the trem! Only takes 5 minutes, so I don't mind.
Quote by Kensai

Awesome guy right here
When did it become decided that the only way a guitar can stay in-tune with a whammy bar is with a double-locking system? I have a Fender Jaguar -- which most certinaly does not have a locking nut -- and after setting it up correctly my guitar stays in tune even after some moderate whammying.
People writing songs that voices never shared
No one dared
Disturb the Sound of Silence
Quote by Me2NiK
When did it become decided that the only way a guitar can stay in-tune with a whammy bar is with a double-locking system? I have a Fender Jaguar -- which most certinaly does not have a locking nut -- and after setting it up correctly my guitar stays in tune even after some moderate whammying.

i agree totally............i have no tuning issues with my strat. a roller string tree is also a good investment.