I just got this

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Line-6-Toneport-GX-USB-Recording-Interface?sku=241406

For some reason I cant/dont know how to get the audio to come out of my speakers. I can hear my self when I plug in headphones but I tried plugging a cable into the line in port on my sound card and I cant hear anything while playing. Do i NEED to be recording to hear my self through my speakers?

I think theres something about tonedirect monitoring? the manual is pretty crappy and doesnt explain much.

Can I use audacity to record? Can audacity record through usb? or Do I need something such as Albeton?

Thanks
Alrite, i've got that too. You dont need to take a cable from it to your soundcard, all you need to do is plug the speakers cable into the line out on the GX.
You don't need to be recording in order to hear either, because you need to be able to hear the tones in GearBox.
As for software, I use Ableton Live 7. But with Audacity you can record with your toneport, you have to go Edit>Preferences and change the I/O settings, but i'm no expert with audacity.
Hope this helps!
Gear!
Guitars:
Epiphone Dot VS
Ovation Celebrity CC024
Jackson JS30DK
Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz Bass
Pedals:
Vox OTT Boost
Amps:
Laney LV300
well I am not using computer speakers, I have my computer hooked up to my home theater system via optical cable.

What exactly is tone direct monitoring? It's a plugin right? where do I get it?
anyone know? its such a hassle with my headphones in the way. I've tried hooking up my wireless headphones but for some reason I cant get them to connect when they are connected to the toneport (they connect, but the signal is never good and will never go through both headphone speakers)
The toneport disables your stock sound card as he interface is a better sound card for recording and playback. You will need to get some adapter cables or something if you want to hook into your current speaker setup.

You need to run the audio from the output on the back of the GX.
what adapters? So is there really no way to hook up the tone port to the computer and output to my speakers? (I can only plug speakers directly into the toneport?)
Pretty much, yeh
Gear!
Guitars:
Epiphone Dot VS
Ovation Celebrity CC024
Jackson JS30DK
Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz Bass
Pedals:
Vox OTT Boost
Amps:
Laney LV300