hi there,

lately Ive been worried a lot about how should I practice.

I like a lot to play songs from other people, I just run Guitar Pro and try and learn songs from my favourite artists.

I have to say that Ive noticed improvement from such practice sessions, but it scares me to think I could always be able to play any song if I practice it enough but that will never mean that I master any specific technique.

Thats why I started to practice exercices of pure technique with a metronome, I enjoy that aswell, but not as much as playing music ofc.

Ive been playing stuff Ive found in this site (both lessons and forums sections), but I realized I have the same problem, I can learn to play a certain lick very fast if I practice it enough, but that doesnt mean I can play any lick at the same speed.

So what I think at this moment is that I should try to play as much different licks as I can to get used to most possibles shapes so my fingers can learn a "new" lick at some point in a reasonable amount of time.

SHEER TECHNIQUE VS COVER SONGS:

so whats the difference if I play "musically-empty" exercices or some hard (for me) passages from a song? I just have to raise the tempo enough to make it hard for me right?

my question is: do I get the same benefits from playing technique-focused licks and playing hard passages from songs?
I think a mixture of the two.
The best way to get build technique is through exercises IMO, but you really need to learn actual songs to build your repetoir, and get a better idea of how to write your own songs.

Also, playing songs will get your fingers moving in all different places, whereas exercises are just drilling the same pattern.
Not a huge fan of bees
Quote by Gacel
my question is: do I get the same benefits from playing technique-focused licks and playing hard passages from songs?

Pretty much, as long as you focus on technique when practicing them. Some exercises are pretty good at isolating certain aspects of technique, and those would be of greater benefit for those areas if you can't find an equally good in-song version for the same areas.

Thassall.
EIther way has its benefits and the focus tends to be different.

I'd also say, your technique practice doesn't HAVE to be musically empty. I like to
kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak, so I always use scales. That's really what
scale practice is FOR -- practice bits of music outside a specific usage AND get
your fingers accustomed to making the right moves.