does anyone know how to gallop really well because i can't and i need to learn for the trooper-iron maiden
Most of the motion should come from your thumb and index finger, not from your wrist.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
yeah, i do it slowly then get faster but i get a high sound, coz i can't mute it properly and gallop. any advice
I think you SHOULD use your wrist you cannot gallop with fingers...you shouldnt use you arm...try four horsemen by metallica there is also galloping but maybe easier than in trooper..
When I'm galloping with notes then a power chord, I'll lift my ring finger right off of the fret board for the two 16th notes.

Focus on your picking also, make sure you're going dud dud dud.
Quote by Heart Ache 102
yeah, i do it slowly then get faster but i get a high sound, coz i can't mute it properly and gallop. any advice

make sure the thump of your picking hand isn't hitting the string, and work on your palm muting, you just lightly rest the edge of your right hand on the bridge, you gotta work to find the right spot to put your hand but otherwise it's a pretty simple technique.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
alternate picked triplets

Wrong! They're not triplets, they're two 16ths and an 8th in various configurations. I'm fed up of having to tell people this...
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Wrong! They're not triplets, they're two 16ths and an 8th in various configurations. I'm fed up of having to tell people this...

Yeah, but they are picked like triplets, which was the point.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Yeah, but they are picked like triplets, which was the point.

Not really, or at least not as far as I can see; triplets are generally alternate picked in a constant down-up-down-up-down-up fashion whereas the galloping style is generally down-up-down-down-up-down etc...

Anyway, it's thinking like that that perpetuates the idea that they are triplets when they clearly aren't.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
well, that's how I've always done it, and I;ve always found it a lot easier than the down-up-down-down pattern.

This might be partially because of my preference for economy picking most of the time YMMV.

Last.fm
slow, steady and concise practice

practice is prety much the answer for every 'learning problem', except for when your a prodigy
thanks for all the advice, im kinda getting it, talk about what ever you want in this thread cause i don't need to know how to Gallop anymore!
I am The Messenger Of The Maiden, And I Am here to tell you that you will not be enlightened unless you Become A TROOPER
Quote by Ichimaru
Most of the motion should come from your thumb and index finger, not from your wrist.

WRONG!

The motion should come from your wrist, for everything.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Alter-Bridge
WRONG!

The motion should come from your wrist, for everything.

i was about to go to a different thread when i saw the huge letters. i had to scroll down to see what happened.

i always thought any set of three notes/chords played close by were triplets (like those in the trooper). guess not.

the wrist would be logical, if you think about it.
Quote by Metallica_Man55
i always thought any set of three notes/chords played close by were triplets (like those in the trooper). guess not.

Not at all, a triplet is specifically three evenly spaced notes in a beat; quite frankly when people refer to galloping as triplets I feel like hurting someone.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Not at all, a triplet is specifically three evenly spaced notes in a beat; quite frankly when people refer to galloping as triplets I feel like hurting someone.

could you name some examples of galloping and some examples of triplets?
Quote by Metallica_Man55

Galloping: Metallica: Battery and some parts of Disposable Heroes

Slayer: Raining Blood (the riff after the intro) and South of Heaven (the riff in F before the chorus)

Iron Maiden: Run to the Hills

Iced Earth: Desciples of the Lie

Triplets: Turn up all over the place really, I'm having trouble thinking of specific examples, the lead riff in For Whom the Bell Tolls before the vocals come in is in triplets.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Metallica_Man55

Galloping - (the acoustic guitar gallops the chords during the intro, then at 1:16 the electric guitar begins to gallop the rhythm) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKZd4U397M4

Triplets - (the intro) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8dlQtOq0Ug
triplets = 12-14-15-12-14-15-12-14-15-12-14-15 filling a 4/4 measure

galloping = bass during run to the hills

simple as i can think to put it
oh yeah, metallica_man, there's a part during anesthesia where burton does a combo triplets/galloping

3 32nd triplet notes with an 8th at the end is a wicked way to gallop, but it's not easy to master
gallop - The Trooper, Hallowed be thy name, The four horsemen

triplet - pretty much the entire lead guitar of Bed of Razors by CoB
Keep your pick hand and wrist quite loose also whilst galloping - a stiff wrist won't be able to gallop quickly and for long periods.
Quote by PapaSchumpf
it has to be good. jonas brothers play the bigger version of it

Member of Les Paul Liberators...Click here if you have a Les Paul
Rate my songs... Here