hey guys,

have you got any tips for learning to play acoustic and sing at the same time. ican do it for short amountsof time, but i struggle to keep the rythem and strumming steady if its a longer verse.

any help for judders?
practice, with a metronome if necessary. But really the trick is to able to play the guitar part without really thinking about it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
yeah i too had thi difficulty withs inging and playing. what i did was i made sure i had the guitar part down cold. then i started humming the melody with the lyrics in front of me to see where i was. i gradually started singing some words along with humming and before you know it, you'll be singing and playing with ease. just practice practice practice is all i can say
I started with really easy songs,i.e knocking on heaven's door then got them perfect, and in the last couple of days I've gotten better at singing with harder songs. Not great,but better.

Still not a good singer <.<
to realy be good i think it needs to come natural. i have the ability but not the voice unfortunatly...
member #4 of the lynyrd skynyrd fan club!

Hell yaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Quote by wshnationals
hell yes, redneckrocker2, hell yes.
Like most have said you should REALLY get the guitar part down. i just resently started singing and playing at the same time and some are harder to sing and play then others. Pick easy songs to play then try singing. It doesn't really matter if you sound bad in the beginning just keep working after some practice it shoukd sound pretty good. Hope it helps!
I've been doing it for about six months, the only reason I'm able to sing and play is because i sold my soul ... or my social life to the devil. I practice too much...
1966 rickenbacker fireglo 335
78' twin reverb (loud awesome tone)

practice makes practice... never perfect
I've been attempting (with varying degrees of success) for about 6 months now. It makes it a whole lot easier if you are strumming, not picking (for me anyway). Once you have the rhythm down, and the chords come naturally, then singing needs to be your main priority.

Dont even think about the guitar anymore. If you cant play the guitar part without thinking about it, then you need to keep practising.
Quote by mickmos
Metronomes are for pussies dont use them.

So learning to play correctly and in time is for pussies?
Sorry you feel that way,I have no doubt you need to use one.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
practice, with a metronome if necessary. But really the trick is to able to play the guitar part without really thinking about it.

Or the other way round; hardwire the lyrics into your brain so you can fully concentrate on the guitar part.
Whatever is easyer for you. A trained guitarist who want's to add vocals shall pick a song that he/she can play blindfolded and with ears plugged to be able to fully concentrate on the singing, while an experienced vocalist will do the opposite. The principle is the same though; avoid having to divide your attention.

That is also true for other aspects of a song. James Taylor handles tricky lyrics, demanding melodies, complicated chord progressions, pull offs, hammer ons, weird fingersettings, advanced fingerpicking and syncopations all at the same moment, but not after many years of practising. Introduce these things gradually and be patient. That's all, basically.
Play any songs you might be covering at low volume in the background. It's usually really easy to sing along since you probably do it in your car all the time, and having the song on keeps your music in line. It seems to help me whenever I'm first learning a new song.
Quote by metacarpi
I'd rather post a chat up line with an escape route in case it starts going wrong.

"Did it hurt when you fell from heaven?"

*girl looks unimpressed*

"Because it looks like you landed on your face."
Quote by Antibiotics101
yeah i too had thi difficulty withs inging and playing. what i did was i made sure i had the guitar part down cold. then i started humming the melody with the lyrics in front of me to see where i was. i gradually started singing some words along with humming and before you know it, you'll be singing and playing with ease. just practice practice practice is all i can say

ya that's what i do, except i find it better if you have listened to the song over and over again until you know it inside and out
forever 27
Haha, it sucks to be me, i can sing and play with proper rythm, but i just can't sing for **** lol
Guitars:
'11 Gibson Buckethead LP
'97 Fender Cali Series Strat
?? Samick Bass
'01 Fernandes Dragonfly Elite