Hey guys, I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong here.

I've got this JJ ECC83S tube, and a 9-pin miniature tube socket.
The pins line up perfectly with the holes, but when I try to mate them, the pins won't go all the way in. Only their very tips do insert, in fact. Are they supposed to not go all the way in, or am I doing something wrong? Should they be soldered (surely not, it would defeat the point of a socket?). I know there are clamps out there, but it seems the electrical connetion between just the tips of the pins and the socket would be weak at best. I've tried googling it and there's nothing about it, so it's gotta be something stupid I'm doing here.

Please enlighten me!
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
It sounds to me like the sockets that the tube pins go into are bent somewhat, which would make it very difficult for the tube pins to go all the way in. Check on that. If it has had some solder or heat already applied then it may have deformed the,.
Could just be a tight fit, are you sure you're pushing hard enough? The sockets are more than just an electrical connection, in the event of no tube holder, they do physically hold the tubes in place.

I know tubes are glass, but they aren't unbelievably fragile.

For my Firefly build, the tube sockets were pretty tight fitting and I had to use a bit of force to get the 12au7 and 12ax7 in.
With brand new sockets it is always a tight fit. Just give them a push, don't worry those glass bottles are pretty tough. They always go in just a tiny bit then you gotta give them a nudge to get it. Think about it... They hang upside down sometime, you wouldn't want loose tubes in your amp.

I usually spray a bit of contact cleaner (not WD40!) on the socket prior to inserting the tube.
Alright, thanks guys. I'll try pushing a bit harder. I've opened up my VJ and it seems these sockets do hold onto tubes pretty tight. I'll see if contact cleaner helps too!

No WD40 because it eats circuitboard right?

edit:

I just tried it and they went in. But with a lot more force than I was comfortable with pushing a vacuum-sucked glass bottle into a socket (with both hands!).

Thanks again!
Gear:
- Bugera 333
- VJ & VJ cab
- Jackson JS30
- TS9

Bugera Users Militia. We are horrible people. With a sprinkler fetish.
~ BUM: For all things extinguishing

Rackmount Tube Amp Project <<< Updates!
Last edited by Kanthras at Jul 27, 2008,