I've narrowed it down to 2 amps.
I play modern metal but also enjoy a nice clean channel when its needed. I have an EQ and a noise gate and will be getting an OD as soon as I can afford it. Later this year I will be moving to an apartment and will share a common wall with the room beside me. I would like to get an amp that sounds good at low volumes but could also be fine in band practice with a metal band and be able to play rthe occasional show.

Krank Rev jr + 1x12 cab *eminance*
Laney GH50L + 4x12 cab *celestion 70/80*

What to get ?
Those are the only cab combinations I can afford at the moment.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
go the laney i hear they have great cleans and they are heavy enough for opeth so
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
I'm not sure whether the Krank RJ would be able to do a show but ask one of the owners here and they'll be able to tell you. The laney cab is pretty bad stock but if you need a 4x12 it migh be a good choice. Krank RJ may be better at metal but I don't know about its clean channel, I know the GH50L is very versatile.

Bear in mind I'm a laney owner, I have to say the Krank is looking better, although yo should really try them side by side.
Last edited by Horlicks at Jul 3, 2008,
If you need a clean channel I'd reccommend the Krank Rev Jr Pro, the GH50L basically has no dedicated clean channel and the Rev Jr Standard isn't footswitchable so is impractical for most non-bedroom applications. As for loudness I would have thought that the Rev would be loud enough for small gigs at least but for anything bigger than a small club you'd probably have to mic it to be heard, especially with only the 1 speaker.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Go for the Laney and get an Avatar cab.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
I'm in Australia and both of these things are second hand which is the only reason I can afford them. Both are in perfect condition and almost un used though. If I get the Laney I'll have to buy the 4x12 with celestion 70/80's that come with it.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
I'm in Australia and both of these things are second hand which is the only reason I can afford them. Both are in perfect condition and almost un used though. If I get the Laney I'll have to buy the 4x12 with celestion 70/80's that come with it.

Do it.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Any other opinions ?
Is the Laney and a 4x12 overkill for an apartment ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
Any other opinions ?
Is the Laney and a 4x12 overkill for an apartment ?

Giant overkill.

Even with a 2x12 it would be.... judging by my Laney (which is essentially a VH combo, the VH has a very similar drive channel to the GH amps) and what I've heard from guys in the Laney thread, they sound pretty bad until you open the volume up over 2 or so, and by that time it's way too loud to be feasible for an apartment amp.

I can't exactly vote for the Krank because I've never tried it, but if you can't open the Laney up much you'll be disappointed.

It'll really come into its own in a band situation though.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Get the laney (imo) and get a different cab. The 70/80's arent very nice speakers. I think your best bet IF you wanted 4x12 would be find a marshall 4x12.
otherwise i say go for mesa 2x12 if you can afford it, or avatar 2x12 if youre budgeted.

It are nice amp
http://youtube.com/watch?v=FZHTKHuFYEo
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
Mesa Boogie 2ch Triple Rectifier
2 1x12 custom Theile cabs
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Guys I can't buy a 2x12 for the Laney!
I have to get the 4x12 with celestion 70/80's if I'm going to buy it.
Anyone else tried the krank at gig volume ?
I'm guessing I would need to turn it to about 8, at that point will it become to brocken up and loose the tightness that I need for modern metal ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
Guys I can't buy a 2x12 for the Laney!
I have to get the 4x12 with celestion 70/80's if I'm going to buy it.
Anyone else tried the krank at gig volume ?
I'm guessing I would need to turn it to about 8, at that point will it become to brocken up and loose the tightness that I need for modern metal ?

Why?
70/80's suck anyway.
Couldnt you get the 4x12 and then sell it and then get a 2x12?

Dude, powertube distortion=good.
the louder the better
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by kool98769
the louder the better

Tell that to Paul Gilbert. He has hearing problems from playing too loud on stage with little to no hearing protection; that's why he wears the cans on stage now.

I'm going to ask this question once more: Do you need a clean channel?

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Tell that to Paul Gilbert. He has hearing problems from playing too loud on stage with little to no hearing protection; that's why he wears the cans on stage now.

I'm going to ask this question once more: Do you need a clean channel?

Exactly, he didnt wear any protection. Always wear protection
And those were 100 watt stacks, with 9 4x12 cabs.
we're talking about a krank rev jr
Gear:
Ibanez RG550 20th RFR
Traynor YCV50
Fender FMT HH Tele
ISP Decimator
Krank Kranshaft
Boss BF-2 Flanger
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Well I have $1300.
Krank rev jr $900 + 1x12 = $1150
Laney GH50L $800 + 4x12 = $1300

The only 2x12 that there is for sale in my whole city at the moment is a Peavey 2x12 *vertical* cab with celestion GK12-85 speakers. I don't think that the amp will fit on them and I can't put the cab horizontal because its slanted and the head would fall off...
The cheapest 2x12 I can find in stores is the Framus 2x12 with V30's and that is about $850. So I kind of have to go with the cabs provided.

Do I need a clean channel ?
I would have liked a footswitchable clean but these are the 2 amps I can get and I'll just have to go without. I would like a decent clean channel when I use it and that is probably 5% of the time.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
key phrase: at the moment

Couldn't you wait a bit?
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee
key phrase: at the moment

Couldn't you wait a bit?

I agree with this
PM Gpderek09 to join!
I've already been ampless for 2 months..... I'd rather not have to continue any longer like this.
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD
Quote by howey
Do I need a clean channel ?
I would have liked a footswitchable clean but these are the 2 amps I can get and I'll just have to go without. I would like a decent clean channel when I use it and that is probably 5% of the time.

If you need a clean channel ever then don't get the GH50L; it doesn't have a clean channel. You have to turn down the volume on your guitar to reduce the gain but if you're using metal levels of gain then you won't get a real clean sound, it'll just end up being a light crunch.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by kool98769
Why?
70/80's suck anyway.
Couldnt you get the 4x12 and then sell it and then get a 2x12?

Dude, powertube distortion=good.
the louder the better
Not necessarily, the 70/80 is decent for leads, it just lacks low-end and finesse. It's a decent speaker but quite trebly.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
GH50L rocks... I haven't tried that Krank, but I can tell you that GH has extremely natural drive tone and plenty of gain...

Only if you really need a super clean channel, then don't take it... But reducing the volume pot on the guitar did the trick for me...
This is the clip that originally made me consider the GH50L
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og9O4BGAkxk
He uses 6l6's, I won't be able to afford a re tube for probably 3 months, would I still get a similar sound with the standard tubes, EQ and OD ?
Gear:
Orange tiny terror
ENGL 2x12 cab
PRS Singlecut
MXR GT OD