Hey All,

This is my first post on ug, but that's not the point, I'm here to discuss culture of bassists and guitarists. The first thing you need to know is that I've been playing Bass Guitar for 6 years. On my meter my experience has been good I definitely don't consider my self "prodigy" level, but I think I'm definitely above average. One quirk that I must point out is that I choose to mix finger and pick technique, even though I know that picking bass is a taboo for most bassists I've met. Recently I've felt somewhat of a ripple in my bass life style. It does not feel like I'm learning or advancing anymore, it just feels that I'm adding things to my music books, mastering them, then forgetting them in about 3-4 months. So I decided to be adventurous and buy myself an electric guitar. So a few days ago I bought my self (on a tight budget) an Epiphone Les Paul Standard. Now I did not write this post for Gibson purists to come in and bash the infidel of Epiphone. Even before I bought my guitar, I felt a slight guilt that I was abandoning what I started and just leaving things unfinished like I always seem to do. Have I betrayed the instrument for which I stand/stood for?

My bass is still around, I just took it out today, because I was somewhat, homesick, I guess. Anyway once I started back on the wide and low tone frets of the bass, it was like going away to summer camp and then just getting home and going into your room, to find that everything was right where you left it. So is this some form of Hypocrisy, or just aptitude/curiosity to learn another instrument?

Probably being a bit too bitchy,

Jack D. Shamu

P.S. I can use a guitar on my bass amp, and BOSS bass overdrive pedal right?
Quote by jackdshamu
P.S. I can use a guitar on my bass amp, and BOSS bass overdrive pedal right?

Should be ok, I use a bass amp as my practice amp for guitar and it sounds great. Don't use a bass through a guitar amp though.

Even before I bought my guitar, I felt a slight guilt that I was abandoning what I started and just leaving things unfinished like I always seem to do. Have I betrayed the instrument for which I stand/stood for?

Only you can answer that really. Do you still want bass to be your main focus? If you do, do you feel that you practice as much as you should?
I did the same thing. Played bass for a few years and bought a cheap guitar to muck around with. I still enjoy playing them both.
45 days without my precious UG...
CURSE YOU LOLWUT PEAR!!!

Quote by eggo_boi_15
Arnt the first few things anyone learns on a guitar is

1. Nirvana - smells like teen spirit
2. Prince - Smoke on the water
3. White stripes - seven nation army
Nah man, it's all good. To limit yourself to one instrument is to limit yourself musically and creatively.
Just think about it - by doing this you'll have a greater understanding of the music that you're playing and you'll possibly also be able to piece together how those two instruments could mesh together.
Anywho, I think it's great to learn more than one instrument.

Yeah, you can use your guitar on a bass amp. I'm not sure if it's too good for the amp though.
But dear god, does it sound great or what? I love the sound of a bass amp connected to a guitar Such ridiculous distortion.
Quote by sheumack111
I allways found that having sex while listening to Tool/Planet X/Dream Theater was hard because every time you tryed o keep the beat they would change time sig, then you would get pissed off and then loose your mojo for the nite.....

I fucking Lol'd
Well for years I've been assuming I would play bass in my next band, my last few have been extremely unsuccessful, but now I'm trying to start my own project which isn't easy since I just recently transferred to a private school which drops the musician rate heavily, and most of them think the most hardcore thing around is Switchfoot. That's a complaint for some other time. So recently I had the thought of whether to play guitar or bass in my next band, which is what sparked my realization. Also where do I post if I need help with my Les Paul. Anyway I guess the answer will come to me when it needs to, also I've decided to practice bass at least 3 times a week and that's just the emergency minimum

Thanks,

Jack D. Shamu

P.S. just read some more replies, thanks for the advice and yes the guitar sounds badass on bass amp I literally shouted holy jesus ****! Actually bass seems to **** my guitar skills more, I can't do chords to save my ass because the pick technique and string distance is screwing with my muscle memory.
Last edited by jackdshamu at Jul 3, 2008,
more instruments = more musical exploration.

that's a good thing. so no it's not betrayal. and you should know that the fact that it felt like 'home' to be on the bass means that you feel like a bassist and not a guitarist or pianist or anything else, thus are a bassist that is learning how to play other instruments.
Nothing wrong with playing more that one instrument, I play bass drums guitar and keyboard(badly) sing and do programming on the computer, as well as playing any random instrument I can get my hands on. My bandmate and I gave an impromptu performance using only a weird round table and our own bodies as instruments for a group of like, five people in a basement at a party.
Quote by jackdshamu
Well for years I've been assuming I would play bass in my next band, my last few have been extremely unsuccessful, but now I'm trying to start my own project which isn't easy since I just recently transferred to a private school which drops the musician rate heavily, and most of them think the most hardcore thing around is Switchfoot. That's a complaint for some other time. So recently I had the thought of whether to play guitar or bass in my next band, which is what sparked my realization. Also where do I post if I need help with my Les Paul. Anyway I guess the answer will come to me when it needs to, also I've decided to practice bass at least 3 times a week and that's just the emergency minimum

Thanks,

Jack D. Shamu

P.S. just read some more replies, thanks for the advice and yes the guitar sounds badass on bass amp I literally shouted holy jesus ****! Actually bass seems to **** my guitar skills more, I can't do chords to save my ass because the pick technique and string distance is screwing with my muscle memory.

Just stick with it for long enough for your body to be able to make the subconscious differentiation between the two instruments. I mean, you'll find it hard for a looooong time but you should stick with it.
Thinking of string distance though, why don't you try Classical guitar?(if you're not already) Seems to me like the string distance between that and the bass should be similar.
Quote by sheumack111
I allways found that having sex while listening to Tool/Planet X/Dream Theater was hard because every time you tryed o keep the beat they would change time sig, then you would get pissed off and then loose your mojo for the nite.....

I fucking Lol'd
Quote by jackdshamu
Have I betrayed the instrument for which I stand/stood for?

Did you stand for an instrument? I doubt it. I think you more likely stood for making great music. That's not something that changes with instrument. Just wait a while, see how you feel, then go with your gut feelings.
Quote by rusty-knives
Just stick with it for long enough for your body to be able to make the subconscious differentiation between the two instruments. I mean, you'll find it hard for a looooong time but you should stick with it.
Thinking of string distance though, why don't you try Classical guitar?(if you're not already) Seems to me like the string distance between that and the bass should be similar.

Wasn't a big fan of my family's classic guitar, and neither was my dad's drunk room mate apparently it now has a smashed hole in the back that's duct taped together.
how can adding to what you can do musically ever be a bad thing? i play guitar, i love it, it's the reason i fell in love with music. i play it everyday. but i also have a bass and a keyboard and i even mess around with my friends drums from time to time, hell i even sing. but you know what, i always go back to guitar. somehow really i always seem to return to all these instruments and they all have their own unique source of inspiration to me. i wouldn't give up any of them.
Don't think of them as rivaling or different things. Think of them as two intertwined paths to the same goal, which is to make music.
Quote by Eirien
Should be ok, I use a bass amp as my practice amp for guitar and it sounds great.

I used to play a strat through a bass amp because it was the only way you can
get an affordable tweed..lol ..did sound great.

I think its cool to play more than one instrument. You can record some pretty
rockin songs..
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett