Hey everyone,
Been a bit of a fool and bought a guitar off ebay, and I think i've been sold a fake
The guitar in question is an early 90's Made in Japan Squier Strat. I had one stolen a while ago and have been wanting to replace it for a while, and so when i saw one going cheaply on ebay I pounced and did the 'Buy it now' thing.

Unfortunately when I got it, i realised it was probably a fake - the body is plywood, the hardware doesnt look consistent with 90s Squiers, and the logo + serial on the headstock looks like a decal (you can see the outline of the cutout if u hold it up to the light). Plus there is no serial number and "made in japan" stamped on the neck (which my old guitar had).

Am I right in believing this to be a fake? Do I have any chance of getting my money back? I paid £160 (inc p&p) - so its not the end of the world I suppose. Its taught me a lesson anyway, ebay seems to be full of dodgy guitars!

cheers guys!
Yeah its not always the best idea to buy guitars on ebay.

And I don't know about getting your money back. ebays a legal contract but if the seller didn't provide enough info/ provided false infomation about the guitar, you may be able to do something.
Report it to paypal that the item wasn't correct in it's description or ask the user for a refund.

Sensible things to do.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
I'd see about returning it.
Gear

Fender Stratocaster in Red.

It's all I need.

The Anti-Anti-Ibanez Militia!
ya, i dont really trust ebay, but im a lefty so i dont have much of a choice i suppose
but anyway

ya sounds like a fake
and i dont really use ebay but idk does the seller have a return policy or soemthing

if not
find out where they live and throw it thru thier window and pull it back out and steal more guitars
actually, if you buy from a CREDIBLE buyer, there is virtually no risk, I ahve bought both my guitars off of ebay as well as many other things, and am very happy about it. Make sure they have good feedback rating (97% and up and over 400 or so ratings), and you will be safe.

Do they ahve a contact number? email? You can make a claim through ebay. Try and contact them, with any luck they will not be assholes and try and rip you, goodluck.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
I bought my prs cu22 off ebay, but i picked mine up, so i could deck the guy if it was fake lol
Yeah the guy had a good rating - I emailed him politely saying that im sure he wasnt aware that it was a fake, and would he consider a refund, but he replied accusing me of getting bored with it and not wanting it anymore. Plus he said he was no expert on Squiers at all (which is definitely NOT how it came across in the product description!). Im going to play hardball and open up a claim through ebay I think
If that doesnt work, I feel like following 6-strings advice and throwing it through his window
Yeah, I would report it, siting pictures of your old guitar, or a fender.com link proving the guitar to be fasely advertised.

I've bought a guitar offa ebay though, I got exactly what i paid for, its not all bad. A 7 string dual hum fixed bridge ibanez for $150. Its awesome.
Just out of interest.. could you post a picture of it up?

Just report him, leave a bad review and give him like 1% on the how good thing! Lol
Quote by LiBam
...depends ... I sound sh*t nd i'm James Hetfield!

- This is why we Love Ultimate Guitar
im kinda curious to see how a knockoff of a squier is

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

Quote by BluesShredUK
Yeah the guy had a good rating - I emailed him politely saying that im sure he wasnt aware that it was a fake, and would he consider a refund, but he replied accusing me of getting bored with it and not wanting it anymore. Plus he said he was no expert on Squiers at all (which is definitely NOT how it came across in the product description!). Im going to play hardball and open up a claim through ebay I think
If that doesnt work, I feel like following 6-strings advice and throwing it through his window

yep, that sounds sensible. that reply sounds like he's up to something. I'd contact ebay to see what they say; certainly if it's a fake, he can't accuse you of getting "bored with it". Would be worth looking into online resources to try to find out for sure if it's fake or not.

Don't do what you said in your last sentence though, you don't want to end up in prison or something daft like that.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Sorry, heres the link to the auction
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230261350008&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fitems%2F%3F_nkw%3D230261350008%26_in_kw%3D1%26_ex_kw%3D%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_udlo%3D%26_udhi%3D%26_sabdlo%3D%26_sabdhi%3D%26_samilow%3D%26_samihi%3D%26_ftrt%3D901%26_ftrv%3D1%26_sadis%3D200%26_fpos%3D%26LH_SALE_CURRENCY%3D0%26_fvi%3D1

You'll all probably tell me now how much of a sucker i am now lol
I dunno why, but when i get on ebay i lose all common sense! I bid nearly £200 for a couple of Prince tickets once, thankfully I was outbid
yeah, the trick is (granted, easier said than done sometimes) that if you aren't sure, you don't bid. Even if it's something you badly want. I've missed out on several things i wanted because the seller wouldn't send me the pictures i wanted, or because it sounded slightly too good to be true. They were probably fine, but I wasn't willing to take the risk.

But as i say, get onto the internet japanese squier sites, do some research, maybe post in their forums (if they have them) as quickly as possible, and if you can ascertain for sure that it's a fake, I'd contact ebay to see what to do. Certainly, he shouldn't be allowed to sell you a fake and get away with it. He may say now that he's "not an expert", but as you say, he didn't say that in the auction.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Cheers for the advice Dave - yeah I think im going to need some solid proof its a fake, which might be trickier than it sounds. I knew something was up even before i opened up the packaging - suspiciously light! and the decal on the headstock took the biscuit...:@
partly my own silly fault though! Been on ebay alot recently checking to see if my stolen strat turns up....
yeah, it's risky. I've bought two guitars on ebay, but i was extremely careful. However, luck plays a part too, and there's still a slight element of risk nomatter how careful you are.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah, it's risky. I've bought two guitars on ebay, but i was extremely careful. However, luck plays a part too, and there's still a slight element of risk nomatter how careful you are.

I agree about the risk thing but my whole thing is how could you pick a guitar on line. As many times as I wanted to, I just couldn't because if I never felt it or played it, how could I buy it?
GEAR:

Gretsch 5120 Anniversary Ed.
Ibanez Artcore AS73
Mann 2350CS (Les Paul Copy)
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Squier Bullet
Boss OS-2
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT 30w
Line 6 Spider III 15W (Hey, I jam in my living room...)
yeah, that's another problem of course. you have to pick something where you know the QC is good, where you've tried the same (or similar) models already and liked them, and also just trust to a little luck.

sometimes if you're in an area with crap gear choice, you only have the option of buying something which is generally considered to be good (but you can't try), or something which you can try but which is known to be crap.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?