I went to this lousy guitar shop that sells mostly second hand guitars. And I found this acoustic bass for 180 bucks. It's pretty cheap considering how the guitars here are very overpriced. It's an ovation copy. I wish they bothered to do the headstock as well.

Sorry for the cellphone cam quality. It's pretty cool. Its louder than some 500 dollar acoustics I tried. Im gonna bring it to school to try it against my friend's acoustic guitar. It's hard to find basses in my country, let alone a cheap acoustic. I consider myself lucky.
Quote by Demon Wolf
Man, you even got the melody right. +1000000 points.

Quote by Night_Lights
^thats a brilliant call. *jots in notebook*
Last edited by shotbythepope at Jul 3, 2008,
applause?
is that a an ovation knockoff?

and if so,i didnt know they made basses...
First Emo of the Bass Militia PM DinkyDaisy to join
Quote by metaldud536
Did your know your son likes to fap?

Quote by Minkaro
I'd rather shove a Pidgeot up my arse than spend any time with Jimmy Page.

Quote by Table Salt
You win for making me really laugh.

add that:
Myspace
Im from Singapore actually. I didn't think anyone would buy the Vatican City thing.
Quote by Demon Wolf

Quote by Night_Lights
Applause are like OLP i think.

Never knew they did basses aswell. Nice find, hows it sound?
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I think mine's just a cheap knockoff...
It sounds bassy, but it has some of that acoustic bass clack that nobody likes, less than some of the Ibanez basses I tried though.
The action is mad high! I'll try to get a video or something up. Only my guitarist has a good enough camera. We're jamming tomorrow.

[EDIT] I just went to the Applause website and there's a link to the Ovation website on the bottom. They dont seem to have my bass on their website though.
Quote by Demon Wolf

Quote by Night_Lights
Last edited by shotbythepope at Jul 3, 2008,
awsome find man byt given my experience with acoustic basses u aint gonna hear it with an acoustic guitar unless its amplified
BASS GEAR:
Fender Bassman 250 2x10
Squier MB-5
Tanglewood Premier TW155 acoustic bass

GUITAR GEAR:
Ibanez ART300
Fender GDC-200SCE
Peavey studio chorus 70

PEDALS:
Ibanez SM-7
Ibanez PH-7
DOD Bass Chorus
Applause aren't Ovation copies - they're Ovation's cheap line like Squier is to Fender. They often rename Ovation models that aren't selling well Applause though even though the instrument remains unchanged (which means a lot of Applause stuff is very high quality)

Anyway that looks good to me but how does it sound?
Quote by smb
Applause aren't Ovation copies - they're Ovation's cheap line like Squier is to Fender. They often rename Ovation models that aren't selling well Applause though even though the instrument remains unchanged (which means a lot of Applause stuff is very high quality)

Anyway that looks good to me but how does it sound?

damn
you post it first!!
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by shotbythepope
They dont seem to have my bass on their website though.

That ****ing happens to me all the time... SR-406 (soundgear/Ibanez), MD-500 LTD, GK 410 BLX (w/o tweeter)...
None of them are on the sites
It pisses me off. The first thing I ever bought that was on a website was my new head and that's a GK 700RB (wanking naow)
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
SMB was dead on about Applause, however, that standard soundhole is usually on the lower-grade models. I find that all Ovations/Applause instruments are really meant to be plugged in. Yeah, they can get plenty loud unplugged, but I find their tone is way too thin and plasticy. But at least you can hear it well.

$180 is a good deal, although I'm not sure what currency the dollar you're referring to is.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
The only one the same as that I've seen on t'internet belonged to a TBer - here. No model name unfortunately

180 of any currency probably counts as cheap for that.
Last edited by smb at Jul 3, 2008,
Yeah, probably.

However, why the hell did I look at that TalkBasser's bass collection!? Every time I look at a TalkBasser's bass collection I want to punch an old lady. Not just because of the borderline snobby collection, but because of some of the basses' strange fates.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Yeah, probably.

However, why the hell did I look at that TalkBasser's bass collection!? Every time I look at a TalkBasser's bass collection I want to punch an old lady. Not just because of the borderline snobby collection, but because of some of the basses' strange fates.

Seriously, who gives away a few Fenders, a Rick, a Warwick, and TWO Car Thompson basses?!?!?!

I am actually astounded.

Nice going TS, for 180 you can't really go wrong, probably go for much more in other places.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Seriously, who gives away a few Fenders, a Rick, a Warwick, and TWO Car Thompson basses?!?!?!

I am actually astounded.
I believe he's terminally ill, and there's only so many Carl Thompsons he can justify hanging on to.
Quote by thefitz
SMB was dead on about Applause, however, that standard soundhole is usually on the lower-grade models. I find that all Ovations/Applause instruments are really meant to be plugged in. Yeah, they can get plenty loud unplugged, but I find their tone is way too thin and plasticy. But at least you can hear it well.

$180 is a good deal, although I'm not sure what currency the dollar you're referring to is.

Well, I live in Singapore. A dollar here is about $1.30 in US. Everything is much more expensive here cuz they're harder to find and also because of shipping.

If Im looking for Squier basses, I usually find Affinities and not much else, and they can go up to 800 bucks!

I played it with my friend today, it's pretty audible. But the strings and high action make my fingers feel really dry after a while.
I couldn't get a video up so I'll try to record something soon.
Quote by Demon Wolf

Quote by Night_Lights
High action, eh? Check neck relief. As Mike Tobias put it, press down on the 1st and 15th frets. There should be about a thin Fender pick's worth of space between the string and the 8th fret.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Off topic slightly - but thanks for that tip Fitz! i was a little worried bout the neck on one of my basses and how to check the neck. If the gap is wider, do i have a problem?
not really, it is just a little harder to push down the string.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by to_the_grave
Off topic slightly - but thanks for that tip Fitz! i was a little worried bout the neck on one of my basses and how to check the neck. If the gap is wider, do i have a problem?

Problem, no. Work to do, yes. If the gap is bigger, tighten the truss rod (clockwise) until the gap is right. If the gap isn't there, loosen it.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
Quote by shotbythepope
Im from Singapore actually. I didn't think anyone would buy the Vatican City thing.

ALL HAIL ROBOT LEE! *bows*

Yeah, nice catch.
I don't know what I'm doing, but I still do it anyway...

Just for the lulz.