Poll: To kill or not to kill?
Poll Options
View poll results: To kill or not to kill?
Yes, I kill them and I enjoy it
18 31%
Yes, I kill them but I feel a little guilty afterwards
4 7%
Sometimes I kill and sometimes I am merciful
32 55%
No, I don't kill them at all
4 7%
Voters: 58.
Page 1 of 2
Right. I am in a slight moral quandry and I want to find out what (and whether) other people think about this. FYI I have searched for this, and I don't think this is a repeat thread. Lots of insect-related stuff did come up however, which tells me that some of you people have more than a passing interest, so...

Can you kill an insect (or an arachnid or mollusc for that matter) without feeling bad?

If you were asked to justify your actions, what explanation would you give?

If you make a point not to kill bugs, do you leave them in your home to go about their business, or do you put them outside? (Also, I am interested in humane ways to do this without actually touching or ideally having to go near the bug in question, post your solutions please)

Do you differentiate between species? For example, killing a wasp but not a bee? Killing spiders with big hairy legs but not the tiny ones? If you do this, why do you think you do it, and what qualities (size, personal revulsion, perceived threat, etc) do you think influence your choice of who lives and who dies?

If you go out of your way to kill things, why do you do it and where do you draw the line?

A big moth came into my room last night and I killed it with my shoe. Before I struck, I remember thinking how pretty it looked. It was much more delicate than most of the bastards that get in, but I didn't like the way it was fluttering about erratically. It made me nervous.

After I got rid of it (well not technically, it's still under my shoe - can't move it in case it's still alive and out for revenge) I thought for a while about alternative ways in which I could have coped with the situation. I physically cannot catch a moth in my hands and put it outside because I'm too much of a girl, but I couldn't handle it being in my room alive (aforementioned fluttering). I think this was the main reason why I killed it. Also, I don't even think they can feel that much pain. But if a mammal (dog, badger, hippo etc) couldn't feel pain, would it justify killing it for no good reason, just because it was getting in your way?

If you want, answer the questions and share bug-related stories.
I kill insects

Idk why, but I dont feel as if I've ended life, its so small....
Oh, I thought I read 'incesticide', and wondered how many people would post simply "nirvana thread"

But no, I don't feel bad for violence, ever. Sometimes things I've said to people haunt me, but that doesn't really apply to bugs.

I don't kill them anymore, just not worth the effort, unless it repeatedly lands on me, or is a ferocious looking spider, or something that bites and is close to me.

Edit: I also find people that say they 'hate' insects, but actually mean that they fear shriek at them highly amusing/annoying.
Last edited by bat69420 at Jul 3, 2008,
Why is there a moral issue in killing insects? Ants for example, are pretty much mindless drones. It's not like they have a goal in life.

I'll remove spiders peacefully, as the girls in my house don't like spiders but don't want them dead. I will however, kill a wasp if it gets too close, as I get a really bad allergic reaction.
I kill insects if they are annoying me sometimes but I don't generally go out of my way to kill them unless they are being a real pain in the arse. For example if a fly is bothering me indoors I just swipe my hand at it to make it go away, if after a while it keeps annoying me I will get a paper and get it when its on a wall or window.

Also I kill ants which I go out of the way to kill, and pour a hot kettle down their nests . This is because a few years ago we had a bad experience with ants and the garden got over run by ants and nests and the place was crawling with ants, big and small and the flying ones as well. Eventually some found a way into the house through small cracks in the walls and we had to go apocalyptic on their arses avec le boiling kettle of doom.

Also I accidently killed a small spider yesterday because it went under my plate while I was eating and I forgot it was there and moved my plate and it was dead lol.
I move them outside.

I'm terrified of spiders, so the usual method is getting drunk enough to be able to handle it, then putting it out the window.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
If the insect tries to escape while I'm catching it, then all hell will break loose, I will squash that prick until i can feel its blood inside the tissue, then I'll bin it
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Why is there a moral issue in killing insects? Ants for example, are pretty much mindless drones. It's not like they have a goal in life.
They might not 'know' it in the same way that we do, but their species arguably has aims like any other. I'm interested in where we draw the line in the animal kingdom - when would we start to feel guilt? Fish? Mammals?
Kantian ethics states that killing living things is wrong because of what it reveals or promotes in our characters. It just seems like there's something intuitively bad about it to me, but I can't put my finger on why.
I'm scared of spiders. I've killed a fair few because its easier to smash them with something than try and catch them in a container. They're too fast and when they walk it scares me.

I don't kill flies or bees or wasps, I just wait til they've worked out where the window is then open it so they go outside.

Edit: This is more to do with my inability to kill them whilst they are flying about, rather than mercy.
Last edited by Foo' at Jul 3, 2008,
Bugs don't feel pain, they barely have a consciousness

So killing is all good
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
Quote by FNAFJ

tell me how you know that.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by FNAFJ

So killing is all good
What about a human who had such a limited mental capacity? I know that's removing it really far, but the justification you're giving could be applied to other cases further up the food chain.
Quote by rigiddigits
What about a human who had such a limited mental capacity? I know that's removing it really far, but the justification you're giving could be applied to other cases further up the food chain.

Euthanasia ftw! Nice euthanasia though, not like shooting them or something.
I kill flies with wet towels cus they annoy me ... spiders really scare me so I run away and get someone else to kill them and the same with wasps ... never had too many encounters with Bees. Woodlice are small so I ignore them and ants I kill. I don't feel bad about killing them because they scare me and they seem evil, I think if you do it quickly and in a humain way then your ok.
Wasps and flies no problem, they irritate me. But spiders, no matter how big, I put them in a cup with some paper over it and let them outside.
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
nah, I think you'll find that they just react identically to stimulus

Put as many separate ants in the same situation, the will all react identically.

Humans, even ones with metal handycaps will react differantly
My Band =]
We play some goffic pish
Its fun

Leave us a comment, we'll get back to you =]
Quote by Deliriumbassist

Hey, maybe they do. Like scoring with the queen.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Quote by Kensai

Hey, maybe they do. Like scoring with the queen.

That's very similiar to my goal in life.

VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
^ *fap fap fap*

Look at that pretty mouth.
Quote by Kensai
^ *fap fap fap*

Look at that pretty mouth.

I'd love to coronate her with my orbs and sceptre.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by rabidguitarist
I'd love to coronate her with my orbs and sceptre.

I'd crown that.
Quote by Kensai

I'd crown that.

I'm going to have a garden party down my pants, and she's the guest of honour.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by rabidguitarist
I'm going to have a garden party down my pants, and she's the guest of honour.

I'd eat her blue ribbon out.
Quote by Kensai
I'd eat her blue ribbon out.

I'd paint her red and white- all the colours of the blighty flag.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by rabidguitarist
I'd paint her red and white- all the colours of the blighty flag.

I'd invite her for a formal improving of relations between foreign nations meeting. In my pants.
Quote by Kensai
I'd invite her for a formal improving of relations between foreign nations meeting. In my pants.

I'd commit treason and get arrested, just so she can see how I'm hung.

VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by bat69420
Oh, I thought I read 'incesticide', and wondered how many people would post simply "nirvana thread"

But no, I don't feel bad for violence, ever. Sometimes things I've said to people haunt me, but that doesn't really apply to bugs.

I don't kill them anymore, just not worth the effort, unless it repeatedly lands on me, or is a ferocious looking spider, or something that bites and is close to me.

Edit: I also find people that say they 'hate' insects, but actually mean that they fear shriek at them highly amusing/annoying.

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Quote by rabidguitarist
I'd commit treason and get arrested, just so she can see how I'm hung.

I'd abdicate her panties any day.

(just you try, damn whippersnapper!)
If they endanger my comfort/scare my balls into my throat then yes, I kill them.

Ex. Spiders in the bathroom. They are scary and dangerous. Bees that follow me outside and attempt to land on me. Dead. The earwig that somehow ended up inside my shirt yesterday. History.

Sorry if I make no sense whatsoever. I'm thoroughly stoned this morning.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by Kensai
I'd abdicate her panties any day.

(just you try, damn whippersnapper!)

I'd let her take me to the tower of london and screw my thumbs any day.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
I only kill if it poses a threat to me, for example, black/big/dangerous spiders, yes, I would kill them, but a small little Garden Spider or other tiny little Arachnids I would normally pick up and put outside. I don't see a point in killing them if they mean me no harm.
Quote by rabidguitarist
I'd let her take me to the tower of london and screw my thumbs any day.

She could ride my chariot any time she wanted to.
Quote by Kensai
She could ride my chariot any time she wanted to.

I want her to declare war on my privates.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Quote by rigiddigits

Can you kill an insect (or an arachnid or mollusc for that matter) without feeling bad?
Yes, yes I can.

If you were asked to justify your actions, what explanation would you give?
It's a bug, suck it up Nancy.

Do you differentiate between species? For example, killing a wasp but not a bee? Killing spiders with big hairy legs but not the tiny ones? If you do this, why do you think you do it, and what qualities (size, personal revulsion, perceived threat, etc) do you think influence your choice of who lives and who dies?Nope, i don't discriminate against bugs. Only Mexicans and Blacks.

If you go out of your way to kill things, why do you do it and where do you draw the line?
I don't go out of my way specifically to kill things, but if there's an ant climbing towards my sandwich that ant will feel my unholy wrath.

Also, I don't even think they can feel that much pain. But if a mammal (dog, badger, hippo etc) couldn't feel pain, would it justify killing it for no good reason, just because it was getting in your way?

If I do kill a bug, it's going to be dead on contact. No pain, no idea what happened. Some people do kill mammals like you mentioned because they get in the way, so that's up for interpretation. I personally think that mammals are more intelligent and therefore feel more compassion for them then for say a bee that acts purely on instinct and has no concept of his own existence.
My answers are in bold.
Page 1 of 2